project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: WIP on alien base  (Read 34844 times)

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
WIP on alien base
« on: June 16, 2010, 12:13:57 am »
I've started working some on a new alien base theme. It's all still very early, but I thought I would dump WIP stuff up here every now and then for people to give feedback. I may not always take it, but it's often useful.

First things first, I'm trying to rough out a concept/style for the overall base. The screenshots below are very early work I normally wouldn't show, but I thought I'd go ahead this time. I'm starting to narrow down the texture style and this was my first attempt to start exploring the brush work (the architecture and shapes).

Another thing I'd like to do in this thread is share a little bit about the process I go through when making a map, in case others might learn (or give me advice) about what goes into a map beyond just the technical details.

One of the main things I want to try with the alien base is to explore simpler shapes than I have in +city. I'm often not confident enough to prevent myself from over-complicating something, so I've decided to try to stick to some simpler stylistic motifs with this theme (look at the bunker map for a great example of simple shapes used very effectively).

This is going to be the "power core" -- basically the power supply for the base. I'm thinking I may wall off the area of the power cores from the walkway so that it is more of a self-contained room. But at the moment I was just looking to implement the texture for the power core that I had made to see how it looked and what kind of "room" it needed, and I was also trying to work out a wall pattern (seen with the mirrors opposite the power cores) since the pattern will likely be used a lot throughout the base.

At this stage, I expect a lot of detail to still be added, but I'm really asking myself a few questions (and feel free to answer/comment):

1) How do the textures work together and will it be easy to blend new structures and rooms with them?

2) Are the shapes I'm using visually interesting and will they get too repetitive if used across the whole base?

3) What architectural/tactical possibilities come to mind now that I've gotten this far?

(sorry for the poor screenshot quality, I'll try to improve it next time)

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: WIP on alien base
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 12:55:42 am »
I think you're going in the right direction with the textures and general color theming. The long thing by the edge has "public transit" written all over it, though.

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 06:18:06 am »
Wow, very nice!
About architectural possibilities I like current theme for non-rectangular shapes. Many corners, and so on. Also, using animations will be very nice.

If you share this, I can try to work on it too. :-)

PS: But I hope we can use current alienbase theme, in some way.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 10:28:33 am »
The long thing by the edge has "public transit" written all over it, though.

Would that be the wall with the windows, you mean?

Do you have any ideas?

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 11:18:00 am »

isn't the whole point of this to replace the existing stuff? or do you mean the map layout? and even the map layout is something i would like to see redone (at least for my parts - they suck)

and last but not least. nice work nate. i really like your brushwork (i know that i've said this a few dozen times before ;) )

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 11:45:25 am »
> isn't the whole point of this to replace the existing stuff? or do you mean the map layout? and even the map layout is something i would like to see redone (at least for my parts - they suck)
Yes, it is, but I don`t like idea to trash existed theme. Can it be used somewhere else?

But let`s look for some more tiles first.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 12:35:17 pm »
i don't think it would fit somewhere else - and imo we should just trash it, because i'm sure nate will produce something that looks a lot better ;)

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 01:37:42 pm »
By the way, H-Hour, are you still going with the tiles idea as in the mockup you showed me some time ago? Because I really liked those mockups.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 02:11:19 pm »
By the way, H-Hour, are you still going with the tiles idea as in the mockup you showed me some time ago? Because I really liked those mockups.

Yes, I'll go ahead and attach that image as well so people can see the bigger picture I'm working towards. The light blocks in the background each represent 1 256x256 tile, so the bases are planned to be pretty big. Another reason I want to keep the architecture a bit simple. (If you're looking closely you'll notice some gaps in the layout, but don't worry about that. All will be worked out.)

And Kildor, I'll add this stuff to trunk when I get a little farther in so that you can poke around with it as well. But this early I still may rip out as much as I add so I don't want to put you in the wrong direction.

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 02:21:11 pm »
> And Kildor, I'll add this stuff to trunk when I get a little farther in so that you can poke around with it as well. But this early I still may rip out as much as I add so I don't want to put you in the wrong direction.
Sure. It`s your work, and I don`t have much time currently anyway.

If I understand your screenshots correct, I like this idea (do not use blocks and passages, as it done now, but use semi-open spaces (broken to the alone tiles) with little passages)

Offline morse

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 11:02:37 pm »
Hi guys!

Nice project you have here. X-COM was one of my favorite, and this is so much like it, so I felt a sudden urge to contribute :).

I wan to do something for alien base - assault on alien base was the most thrilling moment in the original game, so I think that it must be done really perfect here. I never worked with map editors, and I don't think I have a time for it right now, but I did worked with wings3d a little, and ready to model some little low-polygonal niceies to fill those bases with.

Where can I find some info about requirements for such a models, and may be even some concept-art?

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 10:40:18 am »
Hi morse, no concept art exists. If you want to make models check out this page in the wiki.

I'm not sure what models would be useful at this point, but if you have any ideas I'll take a look. At this point I think the two big powercore objects in the screenshots above are about as close as I have gotten to an artistic concept. I've ripped out the floor arrangement and start tinkering with another idea, but not sure if I'm terribly happy about that either. I'll post some screenshots when I get to that, but haven't had much time lately.

Offline morse

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 09:31:17 pm »
At this point I think the two big powercore objects in the screenshots above are about as close as I have gotten to an artistic concept.

And what about alien wormhole device, whatever "wormhole device" is?

Offline morse

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 12:40:29 pm »
As I see in news, 2.4 is closer and closer, and nothing new here.

Well, I am still ready to try myself in alien base construction. I've made models for some nice alien flowers :)

I do not fully understood how to texturize objects, but I can try if these objects are needed.

Offline Thrashard96

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2010, 12:45:45 pm »
Awesome base!