project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Playing more then 10 missions  (Read 3537 times)

Achilles

Playing more then 10 missions
« on: September 05, 2006, 03:31:15 am »
Hello All,
    I'm new to the game but a long time fan of the X-Com line, and I just wanted to say this is brilliant. I've done a lot of play testing (both open and closed beta) on everything from Interstate 76 and Ultima Online to the new Middle Earth series, and I will give U:AI most of my attention for the next few months to be sure. Now for the problem I've run into for testing research, manufacturing, and so on, is that the missions are not listed as completed so the countries keep getting madder and madder :-)They won't give you any more money and you can't make any thing to sell. Nothing will finish after a point and the game comes to a stop (no bullets on missions, for instance). Now I understand that it is probly still under construction and what I was wondering is if there is some way to increase their opinion of me or secondly, just increase my cash so I can take the game further. I will state right up front I'm not a programmer but I do have a good understanding of coding.

ubequitz

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 03:55:25 am »
The developers have been busy fixing a ton of bugs reported in RC4... the "nation opinion" bug that you cite for example is fixed in the development versions (SVN trunk and branch). Unfortunately I don't know of any workaround for that bug in RC4.

There are still a pile of bugs the developers are working through (as well various enchancements). Testing of RC4 has been quite extensive, so now the most useful testing would be on the development version to investigate hard to debug/reproduce bugs and to catch new errors introduced during bug-fixing :)

If you are very keen you could try downloading the SVN code and compiling. If you are using Windows you would be particularly valuable as a playtester since most of the developers are running Unix flavoured OSs so the windows development version lacks good testing.

You can find plenty of guides on how to do things on our Wiki:
http://ufo.myexp.de/wiki/index.php/Getting_the_source
http://ufo.myexp.de/wiki/index.php/Compile_for_Windows

If you find bugs in any version >= RC4 feel free to post it on the sourceforge bugtracker: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=157793&atid=805242

You can also talk about issues directly with the developers on the IRC channel (server: FreeNode , channel: #ufo:ai).

Offline Bandobras

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 06:37:12 am »
Well spoken. :)

mlisowsk

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 06:37:28 pm »
OTOH, if you need playtesting there should be a release candidate. Especially on the windows platform you cannot expect people to compile huge projects just for playing.

I am playing RC4 on Win2k and I like it a lot! Up to now I had only a few missions (<10) and had no bugs so far. It's great game! I also like the music a lot - usually open source projects do not reach this quality in the music department.

vorticone

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 09:57:03 pm »
Speaking of that, the current svn is not compiling under WinXP. Error message is files.h from src/qcommon is missing.

Any ideas on that one?