project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: How to start mapping  (Read 6519 times)

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
How to start mapping
« on: June 10, 2010, 10:43:00 am »
The forum is the place for all of your questions, but the wiki is where we put all of our information. If you want to get started mapping for UFO:AI, head over to the mapping section on our wiki to learn more about the editor we use, UFORadiant.

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: How to start mapping
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 09:47:46 am »
extracting 0maps.pk3 as instructed here http://ufoai.org/wiki/index.php/Mapping_for_Dummies/Preliminaries produces .bsp and .ump files, but no .map files?

I got really far with that first mapping attempt =D

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 10:10:50 am »
the map files are included in the (windows-)installer - or available here

Offline Ufozook

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 09:24:56 pm »
Six years later, same problem. The Mapping section does not cover the distinction between bsp, map and ump files, or at least not where I could find it so far. Downloading the map file from the link above gives me ufoai-2.4-mappack.tar.bz2, which sounds like it's a bit outdated.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 11:56:52 pm »
Six years later, same problem. The Mapping section does not cover the distinction between bsp, map and ump files, or at least not where I could find it so far. Downloading the map file from the link above gives me ufoai-2.4-mappack.tar.bz2, which sounds like it's a bit outdated.

Yeah, sorry. This is a perfect example why issues should not be reported on the forum but on the issue tracker. Filed a ticket about that: FR#5681.

Did you manage to figure it out?
  • .map is the map source which is edited via UFORadiant.
  • .bsp is the compiled map that the game can load and compiled from the .map via ufo2map
  • .ump is the assemly descriptor for Random Map Assemlies (RMA)

I was just about to doublecheck if the mappack contain the map sources or not, but SourceForge is down for maintenance. Anyway if you are looking for our map sources you can get them from our git repository - which is on sourceforge again, but thankfully we have a github mirror .

-geever