project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Reaction fire... perhaps a middle ground?  (Read 4043 times)

Offline weekendwarriora1c

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reaction fire... perhaps a middle ground?
« on: May 19, 2010, 01:05:38 am »
Since I switched from the stable build to dev, reaction fire has changed considerably.  In the stable build, you can use RF to advance units under cover, as you would expect to do in a tactical situation, by covering an approach with a machine gun or sniper rifle, and letting the other units run (expend all TU) to the next cover.  This made tactical sense to me, and meshed with my view of CQB.

I understand that there were complaints that the aliens would keep shooting at you if your soldiers ran in the open.  I understood this to be normal behavior of aliens trying to kill you, this shooting "bug."  It seems it was "fixed" in the new version.

Since I started running the dev version, reaction fire doesn't work.  Where a soldier carrying a machine gun should be able to lay down a field of fire to keep the aliens' collectively alien heads down, apparently this task is now assigned to men with pistols only.  This is where I lightheartedly suggest equipping a machine gun that doesn't require a hand crank to start firing.

If people complain about aliens firing at them while they are out of cover, might I suggest implementing something in the game that would allow you to create cover where needed?  I'm not sure what we'd do there.  Some sort of thick, yet airy substance that could block sight, maybe.  Maybe we could deploy it on the battlefield by hand-wait, better yet, by throwing some sort of hand-carried device that can place this substance... this... "smoke," where it could be most useful?

I've seen suggestions about inverting the TU-counting of reaction fire, and I agree.  All reactions should begin when the soldier sees the alien.  If it's a full-auto machine gun spray, then the next reaction shouldn't take place until 25 TU of alien movement has passed.  If it's a shotgun or a grenade launcher fire, it should be immediate.  The following round would follow the normal rules.

It is absolutely ridiculous that a character with a pistol is more useful in defense than a machine gun.  That's what a machine gun is for.  That's what it does.  Feeling bad about that thing you did that one time?  Can't take it any more?  That's what a pistol is for.  Trying to defend an alleyway from a marauding band of aliens?  That's where you use the machine gun.

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Reaction fire... perhaps a middle ground?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 01:27:17 am »
And apparently, the aliens still get to fire at you every step you take, so I'm not sure what the point was...

Offline Edi

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 06:53:36 am »
You can change it back to the old behavior by modifying some value in the config file. There is reaction fire in the new version too, but it works differently and your soldiers need a lot of experience before it becomes reliable. AFAIK it's a function of the mind and speed attributes, so high scores in those help. I've sen reaction fire from my soldiers a couple of times, but you can't rely on it.

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 07:26:38 am »
Which is like having a gun that doesn't just miss, but randomly doesn't fire.

Offline homunculus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 09:12:23 pm »
interesting, do the aliens really use reaction fire in the stable release.
the only time i remember seeing alien reaction fire in stable release was after i tried out flashbangs on an alien.
maybe i was just unlucky.

Offline seshperankh

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 08:32:49 am »
And apparently, the aliens still get to fire at you every step you take, so I'm not sure what the point was...

I agree with you there.  Nothing like having aliens walk up tp your squad and blast them point blank.
Reaction fire doesnt seem to make sense or be manageable anymore. 

Offline talon

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 12:31:57 am »
i had a strange reaction fire example

I was walking towards an alien , and my guy was passing thorough a building blocking line of sight

the alien got reaction fire and instead of firing at the guy he could not see he fired at my distant snipers who had not moved

Offline Edi

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 07:01:55 am »
i had a strange reaction fire example

I was walking towards an alien , and my guy was passing thorough a building blocking line of sight

the alien got reaction fire and instead of firing at the guy he could not see he fired at my distant snipers who had not moved

This is a feature, not a bug at this stage.