project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Reaction Fire in 2.3 Build 28632  (Read 9491 times)

Offline weekendwarriora1c

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Reaction Fire in 2.3 Build 28632
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2010, 12:06:34 am »
I agree, it would make more sense if automatic fire was spaced through several movement turns.  But it should still start firing the moment they make themselves apparent to the soldier.

Offline cerevox

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2010, 10:39:33 pm »
It seems to me that there are two different kinds of RF. Aimed and non-aimed. Aimed is where the TUs are spent aiming the gun and only the very last TU involves any actual firing. On those it would make sense for the target to spend that many TUs in the line of sight of the reactor, since it takes that long for him to aim. A sniper isn't going to shoot unless the target is in the crosshairs.

On the other hand are the non-aimed shots. An machine gunner is not going to line his target up perfect, he will just get his gun pointed in the right direction and spray until the target dies. However, if an alien peaks around a corner for 3 TUs, he shouldn't get a full 25 TU burst to the face.

So, here is my proposal. for aimed shots, they need the full TU time to take the shot. For non-aimed like full auto and burst, its a partial shot. For every TU the alien spends in his line of sight, he gets to fire a TU on his gun. Alien spends 6 TU walking into the middle of the street, so the MG gets to fire 6 TU of his 25 TU burst at the alien. Alien steps to next square for 2 TU, and the MG fires his next 2 TU, so his 25 full auto is down to 17 TU left of shooting. You would have to be able to pause the burst mid-fire and to pause every step to let the MG fire, but this way the alien takes an amount of fire equal to what he actually does.

Offline homunculus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2010, 02:03:44 am »
in the r30111, without any conf-ing, i got reaction fire from both assault rifle and smg once.
never saw sniper reaction fire, though.
maybe the point of it was that it was single shot rf, and consumed less tu?
now, as for burst, if consecutive single shots consumed less tu than the first one, maybe this would be ok?

also, maybe some day the whole shooting system will somehow get a lot of attention.
(i might have a long beard by then, i know)
in this case i think my hopes would be for aiming and recoil time units for all shots, rather than depending on the shot being aimed or non-aimed.
the best wish would be for:

1. clicking with mouse selects the target (like waiting for next click for confirmation).
there would be the default time units for aiming, which can now be adjusted with mouse wheel if needed.
2. second click fires the shot.

the player would be thinking like 'would i need to aim a little bit better', bit like gambling.
as an additional benefit, you wouldn't have many leftover time units at turn end because you could use them for better aiming.

the application for reaction fire would involve counting time units for minimum aiming before the reaction fire shot happens.
and after the shot there would be the recoil tu when the soldier cannot rf again.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 02:10:35 am by homunculus »