project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Halelujah!  (Read 3874 times)

Offline Brasher

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Halelujah!
« on: May 29, 2010, 10:16:03 pm »
I stumbled across this site the other day in one of my nostalgic X-COM withdrawl fits that have plagued me about 3 to 4 times a year since Microprose was bought out and the rights were passed around like a 5 dollar whore. The UFO series that came out was disappointing to say the least and I never bothered playing that aweful looking X-COM/FBI FPS wanna-be turd.  Needless to say, I was extremely skeptical as I clicked "download" as nothing has compared to that special X-COM gameplay which haunts me to this day.  After playing the game... I nearly imploded with absolute joy.  Seriously, I prarie-dogged, You have made my day.  I'd like to shake all your hands personally, I thought this genre was a long lost and dead part of my youth.  This day and age offers games with great graphics and loads of effects but has lost the simple yet well thought out gameplay that gives older games like X-COM immortal replay value.  Games now are so damn short... it's like the game industry has been overtaken by abused gen-X kids with severe ADD.  I don't know what damn company holds the rights to the X-COM genre, but they need to bow down and simply hand the rights over to you guys and go make another My Little Pony game.  What's amazing to me is that this is still not freeware as absolutely nothing has been done for X-COM by the entitled company for a decade or more.  I understand that the fact that it is still being sold on-line may lead to court battles over damages , bull$h!t, etc. , but Isn't there an expiration date on the copyright that must be renewed?  Hell, the legitamate retail version has been beyond outdated for OS'es for decades.  There is a big enough X-COM fan base that I think where our voice could be heard.  Has any one checked into this yet?  Old dogs unite, ffs! 

Offline Edi

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Halelujah!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 10:57:51 pm »
Another convert, I see. Welcome! :)

On the original X-Com, it's actually not a dead intellectual property, since it's being actively sold through Steam by Valve and can be run on modern operating systems via Dosbox.

Offline Brasher

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 12:33:21 am »
Another convert, I see. Welcome! :)

On the original X-Com, it's actually not a dead intellectual property, since it's being actively sold through Steam by Valve and can be run on modern operating systems via Dosbox.

No kidding?  I'll have to look into this.  On another note, I'm currently attempting to study up on this TortoiseSVN thing.  I went as far as possible on 2.2.1 and am utterly confounded as to what I need to do to run 2.3.  After initial download the intro movie was choppy both in visual and sound, but everything else seemed to work fine, even played a "landed UFO" mission.  Then I messed around in the Options and set it to full screen so I could edge-scroll the map in the battlescape... it crashed hard.  Now it crashes when I enter missions, so I downloaded this Tortoise thing and have no idea how it works.  I've never dabbled in this stuff... I'm dying to become literate so I can play/contribute.  I'm guessing I need to compile maps and crap (what ever that means) but no idea yet how to even run the Tortoise.  Heh, the manual is way over my head atm.  UFO 2.3 looked sexy though, can't wait to figure this out.
Crap, now i'm seeing NSIS is what you use to compile... I'm so confused.  I downloaded from Destructavator's link under http://ufoai.ninex.info/forum/index.php?topic=4857.0 because the link listed on the dl page doesn't bring anything up.. 
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 12:45:20 am by Brasher »

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 01:05:15 am »
Brasher,
hi and welcome :)

You don't necessarily have to use tortoise/svn. Which OS are you on ?
If it's Windoze, you'll find a 2.3 installer in the win forum.

Offline Brasher

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 01:27:56 am »
I'm running Win XP (not a fan of Vista) with GeForce 7600 GT, Asus MB, and crap load 'o ram.  Forgot to mention my quad-core processesser if that makes a difference.  I was just reading up on the installers.  Don't know if I go with the 1st or 2nd stickey (Win32, or 2.3 Dev).  Is there a noob-tard forum that can set me on the right path here?  All I need is a start and I can figure stuff out from there, just one basic and simple tutorial for monkeys and I can master this on my own without wasting your prescious time from continueing progress on this beautiful masterpiece in progress.  I'm still cramming all the forums and there is alot of stuff, so if you have the "monkey's link" you would spare me many hours and a cronic headache lol.  I feel like I'm back in the military and thrown on an OJT training project.  I'm assuming I should uninstall UFO, download an installer, then reinstall, correct?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 01:33:25 am by Brasher »

Offline Legendman3

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 02:53:03 am »
Even though im like the youngest person on this forum (14) X-Com was one of my favorite games of all time. I saw a few of those knockoff UFO games and i was like THESE SUCK!!!! But then i found UFO: AI, downloaded it, and played it and then i was like 8D OMFG WHERES THE FORUM!!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!! I MUST SIGN UP AND SEE IF THIS IS ACTUALLY ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!(Because 2.2.1 released in 2008 and i thought this was abandoned/dead) and when i found out it was alive I was like YES F*CKING YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And i tryed to help in any way i could.  But now im a person thats just helps with finding bugs. I love this as much as you do dude.

Offline Edi

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 09:07:23 am »
No kidding?  I'll have to look into this.
€15 for all of the old X-Com games (Enemy Unknown, Terror from the Deep, Apocalypse, Interceptor and something else as well) in a bundle.

On another note, I'm currently attempting to study up on this TortoiseSVN thing.  I went as far as possible on 2.2.1 and am utterly confounded as to what I need to do to run 2.3.  After initial download the intro movie was choppy both in visual and sound, but everything else seemed to work fine, even played a "landed UFO" mission.  Then I messed around in the Options and set it to full screen so I could edge-scroll the map in the battlescape... it crashed hard.  Now it crashes when I enter missions, so I downloaded this Tortoise thing and have no idea how it works.

Download Tortoise SVN and install it.

Then see the instructions here

Just download the all-in-one package, unzip per instructions, use Tortoise to update the source in the ufoai directory under minGW directory and then go to the root of that path to run MakeUFOAI_win32.exe. Wait a few hours and you'll have an installer on your desktop. A few hours, because the first time it compiles the maps, it takes a crapload of time, the city map alone is two and a half hours on my Core 2 Duo machine.

I've never dabbled in this stuff... I'm dying to become literate so I can play/contribute.  I'm guessing I need to compile maps and crap (what ever that means) but no idea yet how to even run the Tortoise.  Heh, the manual is way over my head atm.  UFO 2.3 looked sexy though, can't wait to figure this out
I hadn't either, but the instructions on that link are easy enough, since you can ignore all the options. Once you get to the point where you run the script, just set everything to native and it will use defaults, you don't need to tinker with any settings.

Once you get things running, it will be a blast. If you have a knack for documenting things, report any bugs you find. You can take a look at the sourceforge bug tracker and the dev version bug forums here for pointers. Most threads I've started on bugs should give you an idea on how to report things in a useful manner.

Offline Borsti67

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 01:29:45 pm »
When you use Mutons GUI, you don't need Tortoise AFAIK. The all-in-one-package contains everything you need, and of course it will also download the source!

Offline Edi

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 02:59:20 pm »
When you use Mutons GUI, you don't need Tortoise AFAIK. The all-in-one-package contains everything you need, and of course it will also download the source!

True. However, I have found it expedient to also have Tortoise SVN on my machine, because then I can do manual updates of the source and check the changelogs without necessarily needing to compile everything.