project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: UGV weaponry  (Read 25388 times)

Offline Voller

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
UGV weaponry
« on: May 29, 2010, 10:35:00 am »
Alright let me ask again in this forum so that the right people might read it:

Do we have any models for the Tri-laser module, grenade launcher or  Particle beams. If not, is anybody working on these already, or can I take a shot?

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
Re: UGV weaponry
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 05:36:11 am »
Alright let me ask again in this forum so that the right people might read it:

Do we have any models for the Tri-laser module, grenade launcher or  Particle beams. If not, is anybody working on these already, or can I take a shot?

We don't have models for those, most importantly because they are not approved articles or designs. For example, we do want a UGV laser gun model, but not some kind of multi-barreled sillyness. If you can make something sensible (inspired by the current heavy laser and aircraft laser) then we'd be happy to consider it.

Other things we would like for UGVs:
UGV grenade launcher -- yes.
UGV plasma cannon -- yes.
UGV particle beam -- no.

Regards,
Winter

Offline DiDiT

• Squad Leader
  • Your local Flame-thrower wielding Furry.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 10:36:34 am »

UGV particle beam -- no.

Regards,
Winter

Aww, man. Sad face, Winter, Major sad face.
Then again, that probably to do with something sensible like kick back or the ammo or something, right?

And, no multi-barrelled silliness? Wouldn't it be easier to wire three heavy lasers together instead of having to build a whole new design?
At-least duel, maybe?

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 12:04:46 pm »
And, no multi-barrelled silliness? Wouldn't it be easier to wire three heavy lasers together instead of having to build a whole new design?
At-least duel, maybe?

Many times no. It's a laser, not a machine gun; given the physics of atmospheric blooming, one stronger beam is always far more powerful and longer-ranged than multiple lesser beams. You multiply the number of beams travelling through the air, you multiply the immense loss of power over distance caused by blooming. I could come up with other reasons why a multibarrel laser wouldn't make sense but the blooming problem pretty much shuts the idea down by itself.

Regards,
Winter

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 07:30:54 pm »
I have a whole bunch of turrets modeled for different ships and stuff. Mayhpas we can use some of them?

Here are some zipped images with some of the guns/turrets.
http://www.mediafire.com/?jmgmkwz5lmm

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 08:27:58 am »
quite cool - i think most of the smaller ones might work for us - would be nice if you could release them for us as 3ds or md2

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 10:13:46 am »
UVG weapons are turreted, right?
I could tweak all of those to fix (and look) more appropriate.

Give me a little and I'll whip something up.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 12:21:21 pm »

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 01:00:10 am »
Here. I put a bunch of parts I found together in one 3D Max scene and uploaded it. I probably have more on some obscure parts of my HDD

http://www.mediafire.com/?mxmmojngmtg

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 10:00:40 am »
I have a whole bunch of turrets modeled for different ships and stuff. Mayhpas we can use some of them?

Here are some zipped images with some of the guns/turrets.
http://www.mediafire.com/?jmgmkwz5lmm

Man, you really, really love your rotary guns, don't you? ;)

Like Mattn said, we might be able to use one or two of the smaller ones, but in that case they would need some adaptation to fit the UGV models.

Regards,
Winter

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2010, 11:56:12 am »
I know. I've put them up so other people can have parts they can use to modify and combine.

And now I found some UV mapped, optimized (lower polycount)  versions of some models of the bigger guns. Unfortunataley, the maps they use are cobbled together from textures from 2-3 other games, so they can't be used (IIRC), but at least with the UV mapping in place, it makes it that much easier. I'll upload those too.

Also, when talking about UVG turrets - are the turrets themselves bulky? Tank-like? Thin?

I can whip up a dozen UVG turrets in a day - no problem - I just need to have an idea how the turret base itself (not the barrel) is supposed to look.

EDIT:
@Winter - I like all guns. I just tried several version of rotary guns, experimenting with barrel and polycount, since some older games I modded had big polycount limitations, and some didn't.

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 02:21:36 pm »
Say winter, for UGV weapons, do you want the laser turret to be something like the one the experimental 747? OR maybe like a heavy laser, but just one a turret.

Simplistic turrets (heavy gun, camera/sensors, rotation base) or a more covered one (armored, so you can't really see internals)?

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 06:50:25 pm »
I think armour would definitely be a concern for UGVs, since they're supposed to be like small tanks, but I can imagine there would be a few bits of rough-and-ready external equipment too. The turrets can be of any height or bulk, whatever seems appropriate. Just try and match it to the chassis, the same level of detail in model and texture.

Regards,
Winter

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 07:03:43 am »
Simplistic turrets (camera/sensors)

I, for one, really think that important. Sometimes being able to see your enemy is more important than having an extra gun.

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 12:10:18 pm »
We got only 1 UGV model right now, right? Any images of it?