project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Black Models on ATI Radeon Cards - Rev 30167  (Read 21101 times)

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Black Models on ATI Radeon Cards - Rev 30167
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2010, 12:54:59 am »
Nice. We didn't have green guys yet, did we ?

Aesten

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2010, 03:57:06 pm »
So it's not just my models, or just alien models, but it's not everything out there. SS below.

And here's my console, started game with GLSL, realtime on, and post processing on, then i turned off post process. Then post back on and realtime off. Then back to all on.

Offline Edi

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2010, 10:00:20 pm »
At revision 30427 I'm still seeing no change whatsoever.

GLSL Shaders ON
Postprocessing ON
Realtime lighting ON

Result: Black models

GLSL Shaders ON
Postprocessing ON
Realtime lighting OFF

Result: Normal models

GLSL Shaders OFF
Realtime Lighting ON

Result: Normal models

Just as it was before. My system specs are posted earlier in this thread.

ufoconsole.log attached.

Offline arisian

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2010, 05:00:05 am »
For those with black models, how many dynamic lights are active?  (it's a counter near the bottom of the graphics menu)

Aesten

« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2010, 09:40:36 am »
Well I don't have black models, I have the shiny guys. But My lights when on a 2.3 build seems to be stuck at 1. I can turn it up all i want, but drops back down to one.

Offline Edi

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2010, 09:03:38 pm »
For those with black models, how many dynamic lights are active?  (it's a counter near the bottom of the graphics menu)

For me it's one. Haven't tried to change it.

Aesten

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2010, 11:05:47 pm »
I know that this is the 2.4 trunk forum, not 2.3 branch. But the recent change by arisian rev 30502.... I have no issues with glowing people or black people or anything else. All options on; GLSL, real time lighting, post-processing, 8 dynamic lights etc.
:D
Now question I kind of have.... what exactly did he remove? Meaning, was is like performance improving style things? Completely new kinds of shiny eye-candy? Just curious, you know?

Offline arisian

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2010, 11:18:06 pm »
It's working now?  Hooray!  To answer your question, I changed a couple of things.  First, the only major "feature" I removed was the directional illumination of actors and other non-tile based entities.  They now look the way they used to in terms of lighting.  The glow maps are still used.

In terms of what fixed the issue, I'm still not really sure which of the changes I made actually did it.  I changed how glow was handled by multi-stage materials, but that only applies to brushes (it should fix a bug where glow would shine "through" other objects).  I also made several small changes to the code that is responsible actually rendering the glow effect in the hopes that one of them would fix the issue with the randomly glowing models.  I'm just glad that it seems to have done the trick; I really wanted to get this fixed before the 2.3 release.

If anyone else is still having issues with this (in the most recent 2.3 branch), please let me know as soon as possible so I can try to iron all the bugs out before the release.

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2010, 11:54:19 pm »
With r30504 in 2.4 branch I still have the effect if I turn on post-processing. Is that according to plan ?

Aesten

« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2010, 12:04:12 am »
Probably, since 2.4 is now the development, while 2.3 is intended for public release soon, so they have to get as much as humanly possible working before the can release. The arisian commit was only for the 2.3 branch.

Offline arisian

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2010, 12:18:42 am »
Yes, I haven't done any work on 2.4, I'm concentrating on getting the 2.3 codebase patched for release.  I'll try to move the changes into 2.4 when I get a chance.

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2010, 12:46:25 am »
Fine with me.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2010, 07:04:12 am »
to find out which of the changes fixed the problem we should merge them in small steps into trunk. make more smaller commits to get closer to the origin of the problem.

Offline arisian

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2010, 02:26:05 pm »
Agreed, I just wanted to get it working any way possible for 2.3

Aesten

« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2010, 05:44:24 pm »
Which is good, I've been playing most all today with 30502. No issues at all I've particularly ran across. I am curious though what exactly you "disabled" kind of thing? Was it things to make game more pretty? Or things to make run faster? (I ask the faster question because my framerate is quite a bit lower(15-20 on average in battlescape) than I experienced before, though I now am able to play with all the pretties on). So just curious. But it DOES work! One of these days I'll remember to take a screenie of the forest map, the water textures are a bit wonky looking when scrolling.