project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: reaction fire fix?  (Read 14928 times)

Offline xor0

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
reaction fire fix?
« on: May 26, 2010, 12:45:50 am »

I played this game 2 years ago, someone told me a new version is coming out. Awesome, better graphics, gameplay etc. But: reaction fire is broken - snipers are useless, have to use pistols???

Apparently there is a way to go back to the old reaction fire system:

Create a file called autoexec.cfg (which doesn't exist currently in my system) in UFOAI-2.3-dev\base\ then put the line 'set g_reaction_fair 0' in it.

Is that right, will it bring back the old system (which worked)? Doesn't have to be done before a compile or anything does it? Otherwise guess I'll have to delete and comeback in a while...

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Re: reaction fire fix?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 08:15:06 am »
yes - this will activate the old reaction fire style

Offline xor0

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 07:14:47 pm »
Great, thanks! Fantastic game btw

rileyk

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 11:53:15 am »
Could I ask is the spelling correct in this fix suggestion for reaction fire - 'set g_reaction_fair 0' ?

Thank You

Offline Falion

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 03:45:40 pm »
Surely reaction fire isn't broken, not after waiting THIS long for 2.3...something that significant couldn't have been overlooked...you guys are just to careful. If so, sure hope there is an updated 2.3 with this mechanic fixed to work correctly. Anyhow, initial thoughts are 2.3 is a vast improvement in most aspects, however, what is up with countries loosing faith in you so quickly? The $ you get doesn't allow for FAST expansions, so for the first few months ( 2-5 ) your limited to having 1 base with aircraft abilities. I have been flying all over the world winning every terrorist action and shooting down every UFO I've seen, yet my countries attitudes funding me have gone from Pleased...to Neutral...are they that really THAT difficult to please, and don't allow you time to get up to speed? Especially with such LIMITED resources allotted to Phalanx...2.2 seemed to be a bit more forgiving...this seems a bit too BRUTAL an attitude towards the only defense program the earth has, since it's still in it's infancy at this point of the game. In terms of funds...is the earth THIS poor at this point in history, that they can't allow a few more credits per month to be allotted to the the only chance they have of surviving? I've seen more funds pushed by Gov's to crappy and unneeded useless programs, to research the lifestyle and breeding habits of some possibly endangered life-form, than what Phalanx receives for it's efforts to save the human species from being eradicated.  Anyhow, kudos to your continued efforts on this great game you Dev's keep working on, as a labor of love...many thanks guys!

Offline suliman

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 09:19:28 pm »
adding that file with the line
set g_reaction_fair 0

does NOT revert to old RF system for me. Neither in skirmish or new campaign. I run win 7 if it matters.
Any idea on how i can really revert to old system?

Thanks
Erik

Offline arakis

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 03:50:54 pm »
could someone post full reaction fire spec for the old vs new system, I mean i would like to know how the old one worked, and how the new one works, thank you

Offline DreamWorker

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 10:16:25 pm »
set g_reaction_fair 0
set g_reaction_fire 0
don't work anyway

So snipers now are useless in defence - it was my favorite tactics in 2.2.1 ...
Please do something, bring back old RF system while debugging new one or explain how new RF system work.
RF is a big dissapointment in 2.3 :(((

Now I should use next tactics: in each turn one solder should look behind corner - to watch out incoming aliens.
In UFO I should in each turn send scout to to watch out incoming aliens and then return him back to safe area.
It is so disturb  :(((

Offline wcanyon

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 05:42:56 am »
I won't say that it's broken because I *have* seen it happen. However, it only happened once and it was a flamethrower.

Maybe RF only works with some weapons? I had 8 guys standing at the entrance of a UFO, 6 had plasma rifles, 2 had plasma blasters. An ortnok popped out, killed one of my guys and popped back in and no one fired. 7 of the 8 guys had TUs left for a snap shot. The little check mark next to snap shot was checked for each weapon.

It looks like it's 90% broken to me.

I bet I've lost 10 or 12 guys over the course of my playtime because of this issue.

The .cfg file fix didn't work for me.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 05:49:20 am by wcanyon »

Offline wcanyon

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 07:48:55 am »
I just lost 3 dudes to aliens "popping out" of a door. While 4 dudes were pointed at the door and had TUs for reaction fire. This blows.

Offline wcanyon

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2010, 08:15:23 am »
I did just see a reaction fire happen. 6 guys pointing at the door of a UFO. 2 had double pistols, rest had rifles (maybe one GL in there). All had "save TU for reaction fire" turned on. 3 aliens pop out and shoot at me. Of the 6 guys pointing at the door, only one of the ones that had a pistol fired back. So maybe it's just rifles?

Either way, I think I'm gonna put this game away until next version. Autoresolve is behaving strangely and reaction fire is broken.

Offline dodon

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 02:41:38 pm »
could someone post full reaction fire spec for the old vs new system, I mean i would like to know how the old one worked, and how the new one works, thank you
use the search in the Contribute section, there are several pages that discuss what was changed and why it was changed.

I had 8 guys standing at the entrance of a UFO, 6 had plasma rifles, 2 had plasma blasters. An ortnok popped out, killed one of my guys and popped back in and no one fired.
6 guys pointing at the door of a UFO. 2 had double pistols, rest had rifles ... 3 aliens pop out and shoot at me. Of the 6 guys pointing at the door, only one of the ones that had a pistol fired back. So maybe it's just rifles?
the TUs of the fire mode affect when a soldier fires, so selecting an apropriate wappon/firemode might help

additional notes (if I remember the sourcecode correct)
  • the soldiers don't waste ammunition, so if the chances to hit are to low, they don't shoot (so experienced soldiers and an apropriate wappon/firemode might help)
  • the soldiers don't harm friendly units or civilians, if the probabillity to hit one of them is to high they don't shoot

.... But: reaction fire is broken ...
No it is not, but in 2.2 it was broken - it was way to powerful ;)

Offline wcanyon

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2010, 04:23:51 pm »
the TUs of the fire mode affect when a soldier fires, so selecting an apropriate wappon/firemode might help

You're assuming I didn't do that. I did. All 6 had reaction fire mode checked and had save time for reaction fire (the shield button) was turned on.

Offline homunculus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2010, 04:13:53 pm »
You're assuming I didn't do that. I did. All 6 had reaction fire mode checked and had save time for reaction fire (the shield button) was turned on.
it is probably not about having the tu and having the checks, but about using low tu firemodes for reaction fire.
like smg on single shot (lol).
or, as said, flamer (i guess that must have been candlelight).

Offline bakiegw

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2010, 07:51:15 pm »
Great game, when it works   :(  reaction fire is more important then anything else!
Please fix it.