project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: More WEAPNZ  (Read 15586 times)

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
More WEAPNZ
« on: May 25, 2010, 06:30:40 pm »
I'm sure this was probably brought up  before (can't remeber)...but mhoar weaponz

Everyone likes weapons. Frak, the most popular mods for every squad-based tactical game I know are wepon mods. So why not put a few more weapons in?

I know we have some spare models laying around, why not use them? A few different assault rifles..maybe human versions of plasma weapons (after all, they weren't made for a human hand, so ergonomics much be shitty), or a few more weapons.
Maybe different types of laser..UV laser, X-ray laser, gazer...frak, there's no shortage of ideas.
For larger caliber weapons we have different types of ammo, and as far as theoreticals go:
http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/rocket3x.html

We got promising technological solutions that would enable many sick weapons in the near future (once they are refined)

If nothing else, a game option like Jagged Allance 2 had - TONS OF GUNS. (bacily an option that turns on many new weapons in the main campaign)

;D

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
Re: More WEAPNZ
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 06:35:35 pm »
Sounds like something good for a mod or alternate campaign.

If you want to start playing around with the .ufo files and make something, go for it!

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 09:40:44 pm »
Would any of these be good for anything?

I actually built these in another project, but one that's GPL also, so there wouldn't be any license problems using them for something here.

I admit these aren't the best in the world, quite contrived, and you can probably tell I'm not a firearm owner or gun fanatic.

These do have firing and trigger-moving animations, though.

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 10:19:40 am »
It would make a good mod, but why not make it a part of the game?
The weapon models are already there..All that's missing are descriptions and stats

It only requires minor modifications.
For one, when loading items it would check the items flag (IF tons_of_guns then load items with tons_of_guns flag).

but yeah, a mod could also work. You could even ship it with the game.

The only thing I still haven't figured out (cause I haven't looked into it much) is weapon/item/research descriptions.

EDIT: Nice guns.

If I count correctly, we have these extra weapons submitted:
- 2 extra assault rifle models (by me)
- 3 extra pistol models (1 by me, 2 by Destructivator)
- 1 smg model (Destruct)
- 1 gattling/rifle hybrid (me)
- 1 high-tech rifle (human, plasma-like, me)

Anything else?
IIRC, someone made a gattling gun, no?

B.t.w. - do animations exist for hip carry? For big, heavy weapons?

EDIT2:

It might be good to list all extra weapon models here:

« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 10:44:14 am by TrashMan »

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 08:56:39 am »
they should at least be included in multiplayer and skirmish, yes.

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 06:43:11 pm »
One more.

If there are more weapons models out there, post them here.

Let's see what we have available to play with.

Offline Borsti67

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 09:13:26 pm »
no BFG 9000? ;D

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 09:38:32 pm »
I might model one. Depends. If here is a heavy weapon hip carry animation, think of the possibilities. A heavy plasma gun or ultra-heavy laser. X-ray laser. Gaser. UV laser. Lots to choose from.

Offline Damien_DE

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 10:22:49 pm »
I like the idea of more weapons very much, although as long as a good supply of "standard guns" is available not top-priority. If implemented this could be used to play a bit with different attributes to make the weaponry more versatile as in "the right gun for the right job". Thinking a bit further this could mean sniper rifles which are more accurate depending on how far the target is away so different rifles are working differently good at sniping an enemy in a certain range. Or assault rifles which can do more or less damage according to their actual "ROF" (rate of fire).

Gee I hope my english was good enough so everybody can understand what I wanted to say with this post  ;D.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 02:32:36 am »
no BFG 9000? ;D

If we are to include it in multiplayer or an alternate campaign that is included with the game, no - The BFG 9000 concept AFAIK is not GPL, but intellectual property of id software.  Such a weapon would have to go in a separate MOD that would not be bundled in the installer, and could not be supported officially by development, simply because of property/copyright rights and licensing issues.  (Sorry!)

Don't blame me, I didn't write the copyright laws, I'm just telling how it works.

Gee I hope my english was good enough so everybody can understand what I wanted to say with this post  ;D.

I think that actually came out pretty good, more intelligible and readable than some of the other posts I've seen in this forum.   ;)

they should at least be included in multiplayer and skirmish, yes.

OK, I'll upload the Blender source files for the three guns I have (that I've shown in those pictures).  The question is what to call them and what their capabilities are going to be.  They actually do have names - but meant for the original project they were created for.  I don't mind if they have totally different names and/or attributes if used in UFO:AI though.

I will point out that the small, chrome pistol has a smaller barrel diameter (smaller bullets) than the black one, so I would guess the black one would be more powerful.  The SMG is, well, some kind of SMG I guess.

Offline Borsti67

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2010, 09:18:14 pm »
hey, this was meant as a joke ;) - in fact I think a weapon like the BFG would not be better than the blaster bomb which was already said to be too powerful.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2010, 06:02:40 am »
Well, here's one of the additional weapons, I'd be happy to create patches for the rest that are proposed in this thread.

This is my first attempt at a patch/diff thingy.

http://www.destructavator.com/92dl/ufoai/MoreGuns.zip

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2010, 04:11:41 pm »
@Trashman: I can eventually add the other guns mentioned in this thread to the game for multiplayer/skirmish or alternate campaigns - are your extra guns already in the data source?  If not, if you upload them somewhere I'll add them in, as a patch/diff on the tracker.

Please note:

- The skins should be in PNG format
- It's OK if the skins have large dimensions, I can always scale them down for use in the game, and the larger could be kept for other stuff
- If the model isn't already in MD2 format, I'd need it either in Blender or a format Blender can import, so I can export it into MD2
- Remember that each weapon needs an ammunition model - for most guns this would be a magazine I'm guessing.  (Multiple guns that use the same ammo could probably also work.)  Guns that have multiple ammo types could probably also be done.
- You can give *suggested* values for the stats and I'll put them in the .ufo scripts, but be aware that they might get changed for game balance - We can't have skirmish mode become too easy because some character has a super-powerful weapon, the same with multiplayer.  Also, I'm not the one in charge of game balance, so once I make the patch/diff files and submit the new guns, don't be surprised if the stats get changed again by BTAxis, Mattn, or one of the other primary devs.  I also can't guarantee that every new gun will make it in.

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2010, 05:47:41 pm »
Last I checked, I have sent all of the files for all of the weapons listed here.

If not, I can send them over again.

My goal is to add new weapons, together with research data and text, as well as tweaking descriptions and some text files for the original game (for example, changing the descriptions of some weapon, like their caliber or ammo, changing the intro so that the PHALANX is not a top-priority project staffed by the elite of the elite - the game makes that hard to swallow - rather that Phalanx is one of may projects created to fight the aliens, and not a very popular one. That would explain the mediocre soldiers and small funding you start with.)

I plan to model more weapons if hip carry animations get added.

EDIT: I don't recall I ever exported the weapon myself...What tools do you use to export/import weapons?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 05:59:30 pm by TrashMan »

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2010, 06:04:46 pm »
This is what's in the data source SVN, just an EMP Rifle:

http://ufoai.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/ufoai/ufoai/data_source/models/TrashMan/

Could you send/upload (or email me) your stuff again?  I could hunt through the forum, but I might miss some things that way.

I'd also suggest looking at the .ufo files, especially the one for the lists of campaigns, and try adding a script for an additional, alternate campaign with your ideas at some point, to make sure this plan for your Mod would work.

For the record, I personally like the idea of having more items and stuff to choose from in the game, although I wouldn't mess with the primary, base campaigns of course.