project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: bug (crash to desktop in video settings)  (Read 8845 times)

Offline Kobold

• Rookie
    • View Profile
bug (crash to desktop in video settings)
« on: May 22, 2010, 07:17:09 pm »
hello, i got a error after im changed the video settings and activated ONLY the Multisampling Buffer or swap interval. im use the latest version from Destructavator (TOPIC: Win32 Development Binary Installer page34) r30093 but i think its the r30045 but not sure. i got winXP and nvidia 7600 graphics-card... after the crash im activated extension limit in nvidia control panel but nothing changed still error message. i uploaded the error in attach.

Offline Edi

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: bug (crash to desktop in video settings)
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 07:27:37 pm »
Can you change it back?

If not, you could try to delete the config.cfg file from the UFOAI application data folder (back it up first!). The path looks something like C:\Documents and Settings\[WINDOWS USERNAME]\Application Data\UFOAI\2.4-dev\base\. You must have enabled viewing hidden files and folders to see it.

When you restart UFOAI, it will not detect the config file and will create a new one and you just need to adjust settings again.

But iyt would be more useful if you can post the ufoconsole.log file (in the same folder) so we can see the error message there.

I'd also recommend compiling the source for yourself, using muton's instructions (link is in his sig).

Offline Kobold

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 07:51:07 pm »
Can you change it back?

If not, you could try to delete the config.cfg file from the UFOAI application data folder (back it up first!). The path looks something like C:\Documents and Settings\[WINDOWS USERNAME]\Application Data\UFOAI\2.4-dev\base\. You must have enabled viewing hidden files and folders to see it.

When you restart UFOAI, it will not detect the config file and will create a new one and you just need to adjust settings again.

But iyt would be more useful if you can post the ufoconsole.log file (in the same folder) so we can see the error message there.

I'd also recommend compiling the source for yourself, using muton's instructions (link is in his sig).
after the application crashed i can reload the game without any problems... it reset the video settings to my last one...
i just was intrested to know if any other got the same problem. here is the ufolog.

Offline Edi

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 08:22:15 pm »
If you restarted the game before copying the ufoconsole.log, the crash information was lost because restarting the game overwrites the previous log. It looks like that happened here, since I can't find any crash info in the file. That's why it's important to copy any crash logs to a separate file to preserve them.

Offline Kobold

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 09:18:19 pm »
If you restarted the game before copying the ufoconsole.log, the crash information was lost because restarting the game overwrites the previous log. It looks like that happened here, since I can't find any crash info in the file. That's why it's important to copy any crash logs to a separate file to preserve them.
maybe this is the error? :
0(35) : error C5041: cannot locate suitable resource to bind parameter "<null atom>"
0(35) : error C5041: cannot locate suitable resource to bind parameter "<null atom>"
0(40) : error C5041: cannot locate suitable resource to bind parameter "point"
0(41) : error C5041: cannot locate suitable resource to bind parameter "normal"
0(113) : error C5041: cannot locate suitable resource to bind parameter "eyedir"

and here is the upload, just after the crash

Offline Edi

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 09:38:18 pm »
Hmm, yes, looks like it. I just took a cursory look earlier. In any case, don't ask me what they mean, because I have no idea. The actual coders here will probably know.

Offline arisian

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 07:26:42 pm »
I'm not sure what, if anything, the "multisample" flag actually *does* at the moment; it's not one of my features.  I'll try to take a look at the issue, though; for the record, I'm able to replicate something similar to this issue, but it's got nothing to do with the GLSL compiler errors you posted there.  I'm not sure why those are occurring; I haven't been able to replicate them, but they don't seem linked to the crash.  Are you running the newest version of the nvidia drivers?

Offline Kobold

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 07:53:53 pm »
Are you running the newest version of the nvidia drivers?
im use the newest driver version 197.45. possible multisampling is a other description for anti-aliasing but im not sure about it.

Aesten

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 09:25:43 pm »
Yes multisampling is AA. I have experienced that same exact issue. One specific thing I've noticed is as follows:
Once I enable MS, screen flickers to restart graphics I assume. After that, EVERY mouseover lists itself as "set multisampling amount"(or whatever the regular mouse over is of the arrows for MS)
Then, once I click on ANYthing at all, that's when the CTD occurs.
I have an ATi card on Win7 64bit. So this particular issue might not be just nvidia.
One thing to ask of you Kobold. Do you use multiple monitors? And I assume Full screen vs windowed? Reason I ask, I can pump up the MS when running in windowed mode(as i recall anyway). And it's been a while since I played on my laptop, but I seem to recall being able to up the MS when on my laptop(no multiple monitor)

I have a few bugs and whatwhat to chase down, but no time to do it tonight, hence the as I recall and stuff. But i'll do what I can!

Offline Kobold

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 10:17:51 pm »
One thing to ask of you Kobold. Do you use multiple monitors? And I assume Full screen vs windowed? Reason I ask, I can pump up the MS when running in windowed mode(as i recall anyway). And it's been a while since I played on my laptop, but I seem to recall being able to up the MS when on my laptop(no multiple monitor)

I have a few bugs and whatwhat to chase down, but no time to do it tonight, hence the as I recall and stuff. But i'll do what I can!
I dont use multiple monitors and im play in fullscreen mode.

Aesten

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 10:49:05 pm »
Well there went the dual monitor idea.

Aesten

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 05:10:17 pm »
Here's my ufoconsole.log I can change numerous options, notably Vertex Buffers which also causes the screen flicker/reset type thing where I assume the Graphics are being restarted. Doing either Multisampling or the Swap interval cause the CTD. Also included is a screencap showing how after enabling MS causes all mouseovers to look like the mouseover for the MS arrows.
An interesting note is, doesn't seem to be the actual MS, but some issue with the GUI. Since I can edit the config file and turn on MS and what not from there.

EDIT: Just deleted config. Game started in windowed mode. Still gives the mouseover issue and CTD once try to click on anything else.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 05:13:37 pm by Aesten »

Offline Kobold

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 10:54:26 pm »
Here's my ufoconsole.log I can change numerous options, notably Vertex Buffers which also causes the screen flicker/reset type thing where I assume the Graphics are being restarted. Doing either Multisampling or the Swap interval cause the CTD. Also included is a screencap showing how after enabling MS causes all mouseovers to look like the mouseover for the MS arrows.
An interesting note is, doesn't seem to be the actual MS, but some issue with the GUI. Since I can edit the config file and turn on MS and what not from there.

EDIT: Just deleted config. Game started in windowed mode. Still gives the mouseover issue and CTD once try to click on anything else.

i got exactly the same... im activated MS but after im try to click on interface its crashed to desktop. thats what happen befor.
but i dont understand what you mean with deleted config... im used different revisions now... so i got allways the same problem.

If im understand you right... i have to open the config file with notepad and activated from editor MS and Swap interval, cause the Interface is bugged?