project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Alien monster  (Read 13855 times)

Offline Skorpio

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Alien monster
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010, 05:36:01 pm »
I've been searching for more informations about normal maps in the last days, but I'm still not really sure what I can do about the seams. It seems to me that normal maps will always have visible seams and therefore I have to hide these as good as I can. Or it could be a shader problem. Normal maps begin to drive me crazy. *grablagralagraagh*  :P
I think I'll leave the NM as it is now, because the seams are only visible if you zoom in very close.

The model is rigged already, but not yet animated. I'm also not sure how the model should be scaled and what animations are needed. Wasn't there a list somewhere?

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2010, 06:08:19 pm »
Sorry, I've never used Blender so I can't help with the normalmap issue. Destructavator does so he may be able to help you out.

Here's some info on character animations, some background on the MD2 format UFOAI uses, and some more info specific to Blender that can help.

Would love to see that big blobby monster in motion, and I know 2x2 units are on the devs agenda (though we don't know when it will be ready). It's really helpful to them to have artwork in place, though, so having the model animated and ready to go would be great.

Offline Skorpio

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010, 06:52:17 pm »
Thanks. And do I have to separate the head? I guess that would be rather difficult, because I'm not sure where the head ends and the body starts. lol

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2010, 07:05:54 pm »
Thanks. And do I have to separate the head? I guess that would be rather difficult, because I'm not sure where the head ends and the body starts. lol

for the fat guy maybe, his thinner brother: yes

for the other monster... not needed.

Offline Skorpio

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2010, 09:23:01 pm »
I didn't have much time to work on the monster, but I've made some animations now. However, a new problem has popped up. I've read that the model has to be scaled up x16 before exporting it to the md format, but this means the animations would get screwed up when I apply the scale of the armature. Is it possible to scale the model after the export? I have no experience with the md format, so could anyone with more experience take a look at the blend file and tell me if anything has to be changed?

Here's the blend file: http://www.mediafire.com/?tzjn5jvzyo3

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2010, 10:21:26 pm »
what is the license of the model? "gpl 2 or later" or "cc-by-sa"?

Offline Skorpio

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2010, 10:50:03 pm »
I released it under GPL 3 and CC-by-sa. I think that means you can pick what you prefer, doesn't it?

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2010, 07:02:14 am »
Yes, it mean anybody can use it under GPLv3 or CC-by-SA, or both.