project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Alien monster  (Read 13768 times)

Offline Skorpio

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Alien monster
« on: May 22, 2010, 07:06:35 am »
Because I don't want to hijack Arthur's thread I've started a new one for my alien monster. I've begun to model a low poly version of the monster and have already tried to bake a test normal map. The normal map on the tail doesn't look so good and probably must be changed. The model has about 1100 triangles and 600 vertices, but it still can be improved. And I have to check if the legs are deformable enough for animation.

Does the head have to be separate? I'm asking because I'm not really sure where the head is. *lol*

Here's a screenshot of the low poly model (left without, right with normal map):

Offline Arthur

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Alien monster
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 08:00:43 am »
So, have you the same Problem to Bake Normal- or Deformation Map in Blender? I dont know why but i have allways Triangle on it, it looks horrible -.- that was the reasen that i dont make high poly-meshes a long time.
I have all to Smooth shader and the mashes are very close, so i dont know why -.- So the normal maps are not useable.

MfG Arthur

Offline Skorpio

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 08:53:58 am »
Yep, baking normal maps with Blender can be annoying and I also don't have much experience with it. Do you have any overlapping UVs in your unwrap? Blender can't bake mirrored faces correctly and that'll cause artifacts. I think triangulating your mesh before baking can help a bit, and maybe you could try to change the bake settings. If nothing helps I simply paint over the normal map and normalize it then. Maybe we should check out xNormal.

And here's the monster with a quick and dirty test texture:

Offline Arthur

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 09:17:05 am »
Yes, I have try all ^^ i have try all what you list.

MfG Arthur
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 09:25:05 am by Arthur »

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 11:07:59 am »
Can you give a shot from overhead at a slight angle, since that's the view that will be most commonly seen in game?

Offline Arthur

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 12:51:14 pm »
Sculptris V 1.0 is out!

Offline Voller

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 07:45:59 pm »
Hi Arthur,

Maybe you have some faces with normals pointing in the opposite way. You can have blender recalculate the in- and outside of your model and then all normals should point in the correct direction.

In edit mode select mesh -> normals -> recalculate out/inside

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 08:31:06 pm »
you should also not use smoothing - see the normalmap info in the artwork wiki

Offline Skorpio

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 08:25:13 am »
Sculptris V 1.0 is out!

The new version is fantastic. Do you know where I can find the additonal brush textures that he mentioned on the download page? I searched on the forum, but couldn't find anything.

Offline Arthur

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 08:50:45 am »
I downloading mine at the Page from ZBrush :) hehe

MfG Arthur

Offline Skorpio

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 01:28:52 pm »
Here's a new screenshot of the monster with a better normal map. I'm still working on the color texture.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 02:44:41 pm »
Wow, huge improvement! (and thanks for the screenshot from above) I really like the rough texture of its skin.

I'm assuming the "shoulder" just isn't quite done yet?

And I don't know how much control you have to specify the poly detail of a particular area, but I think the tail could use a few more polys on each bump to round out the curves.

Offline Skorpio

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 07:24:12 pm »
I'm having some trouble with the normal map. I noticed that there are some seams after baking, they are not very visible, though. Aren't the baked normal maps in Blender seamless? Will the normal maps always be turned on in-game or can you turn them off? The model doesn't look so good without it.

And what size should the model have in Blender?

BTW I'm also working on some other models (just for fun), but maybe they could be useful for UFO:AI as well. (Actually I should work more on OpenDungeons, but the forum has become so quiet that I'm not sure if the other guys are still alive. ;) )

Here's a wip screenshot of "fat guy" and his thin brother (both still need a lot of work) and a insect monster head:

Ain Soph Aur

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2010, 11:15:32 pm »
NICE! I like all of them  ;D

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2010, 02:06:16 pm »
That's some nice work. I don't know what plans the devs have for further aliens, so it'd be worth querying them on what they're looking for.

Have you made any progress on animating the big blob alien? That was a nice bit of work.