project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: What's your favorite weapon?  (Read 69372 times)

Offline Brasher

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: What's your favorite weapon?
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2010, 05:53:07 am »
Don't underestimate the power of the MG.  I usually have 2 troops packing them even late in the game.   Their demoralizing power quickly cows aliens over great distances even if "O'l Painless" lands only a bullet or two ("We hit nothing").  It's meant to do just that, it's a "support weapon".  Support troops lay down an intimidating wall of lead while the assault troops flank around.  Nothing like watching a few aliens assume the fetal position for a couple rounds while the grunts move in.  On top of that, now and then I run into a batch of aliens lined up like ducks at a shooting gallery just around a corner that all bow down to the power of a single full-auto spray.  Grenade launcher is great for those targest behind stumps, walls and garbage bins, and especially for those buggers dug in like ticks on top of a high building ("Got time to duck?").  The heavy laser, though low damage against armor, has damn good accuracy even over medium to large distance with a 3 round spread.  Sword/pistol combo is my favorite for up-close and personal.  Medkit=must, all my troops have one.  WTF does the smoke grenade do?  I haven't notice any decrease for alien accuracy chucking one in futile attempts at protecting civilians... old X-COM games, smoke grenades were pimp, severely decreasing accuracy and vision allowing for a wide variety of tactical implementation.  In this, they just take up space.  I might as well put a Pepsi can in place of a smoke grenade on my holster.  My troop could at least then enjoy a refreshing beverage after hosing down a cowering Tammy.

Offline homunculus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2010, 05:20:03 pm »
[...]Grenade launcher is great for those targest behind stumps, walls and garbage bins, and especially for those buggers dug in like ticks on top of a high building ("Got time to duck?").  The heavy laser, though [...]
nice post, but at this point, i think you somehow lost the style.

grenade launchers are nice when the enemy is round the corner, but nothing compares to a full auto spray.

wouldn't that be better? with your wording, of course.

Offline jerikojerk

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2010, 09:18:46 pm »
1) rocket lancher.
i have soldier quick enough to fire and reload in one turn. i did shot alien in the opposite border of a big map in two turn. it's rock.

2) grenade launcher
i kill tree aliens in one turn thanks to that.

i prefer RL on openmap ( it's not realy usefull went you are in a stair...) but alien takes damage if they are in the area of the explosion, that's great.
i prefer GL in case you don't want to enter a building. you send the 3 grenade rafale and the place is secured,  more over it does not aim in streat line, you can play with rebound...

Offline Havoc

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2010, 03:09:04 pm »
My favorite weapon combination/team setup is:

2 Laser Rifles, 2 Plasma Rifles, 1 Grenade Launcher, 2 Riot shotguns with Sabot, 1 Heavy Laser Gun or Machine Gun

Even with very tough skinned/armored aliens, I find this combination very effective.  Haven't gotten to the top tier weapons yet to say, but for majority of the game you come out good with this combination.

Hands down medium short to close combat weapon of choice is the shotgun with sabot rounds.  One soldier can drop two aliens easily with it, even the tougher aliens it has good success.

On regular terror missions and entrenched aliens, hit and run long range attacks of course work best.  Picks off the weaklings and the idiots while my close quarters and plasma rifle teams come in and hose them down dead.

Aliens were never really good at CQB, and I intend to make sure they don't succeed in CQB in SP.

Offline Sarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2010, 05:00:15 pm »
I kinda prefer this setup: 2 Heavy lasers, 2 Machine guns, flamer, plasma rifle, grenade launcher, rocket launcher. Heavy lasers work as snipers/RF suppression fire, machineguns are all-range general purpose weapons, plasma rifle and flamer are CQB, RL and GL are indirect fire support.

Offline Jarkill

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2010, 03:45:31 am »
Flamethrowers. Just so damned reliable. If it's in range, it's dead. No luck, no chance, it just dies. Since quite a fair bit of time is spent with greenhorns, the flamer really stands out in that period. The riot shotgun can fail with a threeround sabot burst at the same range, and will lose effiency against armour very quickly if you're using flechettes, but for the same TU's the flamer always gets the job done.

Offline Sarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2010, 12:47:49 pm »
That's right, flamers require no skill from soldier, and it takes just 20 TU to take down even ortnok in medium armor.

Offline DiDiT

• Squad Leader
  • Your local Flame-thrower wielding Furry.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2010, 11:06:51 pm »
Nothing quite like toasting alien flesh.  ;D

I once killed 2/3 ortnoks with one inferno spread, just gotta love that.

Offline ORCUS

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2010, 07:04:15 am »
FlameThrowers and Heavy Lazer Rifles, cause when you have 6 guys with them, 1 on the flamer and 1 on whatever you want it's going so much better, most of the time it's while recovering downed Aircrafts, if it's not that, then i tend to use more Heavy guns...

Offline dingoperson

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2010, 06:06:35 pm »
Starting out: 2 Assault rifles, 2 GLs, 2 Snipers, 2 Flamethrowers. Pretty basic.
Mid game: 1 Flamethrower, 2 Heavy Lasers, 2 GLs, 1 Sniper (which really should be a Heavy Laser), 2 Plasma Rifles.

I find that GL is just unsurpassed in the reliability of kills. 3-round airburst for 15 TUs is an almost guaranteed kill at medium ranges until you get Ortnoks in heavy armor. If you feel creative you can even have a good chance at long range kills using timed bounce grenades.

Reliability is #1 on crash landings when you start close to the UFO with all your guys out in the open. GLs can normally take down two aliens when they start close enough with one 15-TU shot. This whilst your other weapons are as inaccurate as shit and need multiple hits. Flamethrower is my next favourite for crash missions because kills are guaranteed. Early in the game the range is even better than sniper rifles, because you can walk quite far and still have 8 TUs left to take down a Taman 5 squares away.

Offline Ufanatic

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2010, 05:53:31 am »

Does using the Flamer really work with the crummy reaction fire in version 2.3?

I used to put them to use in 2.2 when the Inferno-guy could at least approach a dangerous corner with RF on, possibly even being backed up by some squad-member with a ranged weapon. Here already, the problem was usually that aliens are too far away to actually get to them without running out of TUs right in front of them.

In 2.3 I fired my Inferno-guy after the first couple battles: I don't see why I should constantly risk a squad members life just because my team is too stupid to provide cover-fire for him.
Cowardly playing the hit and run game behind corners that are further away from the Kerrblades and Plasma-pistols seems much more promising.  ;) 

Offline dfscott

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2010, 05:31:53 pm »
Does using the Flamer really work with the crummy reaction fire in version 2.3?

It does for me.  I've had really good success with camping a flamer outside a landed harvester and waiting for the aliens to pop out and french frying them.

Offline Outlawstar15a2

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2010, 10:39:45 pm »
Jesus, how many weapons does this game have? LOL.

Does the game have my favorite weapon: Dual wield pistols?

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2010, 12:24:15 pm »
Jesus, how many weapons does this game have? LOL.

Does the game have my favorite weapon: Dual wield pistols?

No, and won't have ever.

-geever

Offline tzzimy

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2010, 01:43:57 pm »
Well if you wield one laser and plasma pistol and shoot with any of them, at least it looks like the soldier shoots with both ;D hehe
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 02:37:59 am by tzzimy »