project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: New options menu  (Read 6319 times)

Offline balasar

• Rookie
    • View Profile
New options menu
« on: May 17, 2010, 07:33:11 pm »
@mcr2010
As will now be with the translation of languages other than English on the menu now mixed. Is it still under development? ::)

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: New options menu
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 07:55:06 pm »
@mcr2010
As will now be with the translation of languages other than English on the menu now mixed. Is it still under development? ::)

You mean the old/unchanged texts? Or the new/chages ones (tooltips) ?

Changed texts must be checked/(re-)translated by translators. One man can't know all languages around the world I suppose...

-geever

Offline balasar

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 08:41:44 pm »
I mean old, unmodified texts that when you change the language remains in English. But in the po-files translation is present.

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 09:44:23 pm »
The english string is a "key" for the translation. If you change the english string, you "invalidate" the old translation (because the key is not the same). Then every thing need to be translated again.

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 10:15:11 pm »
@bayo: Sorry for not reacting. Was afk.

Yes, all the text (for options.ufo) is finished as far as I am concerned. But if someone wants to make any corrections, please do so. There will be additional options in the future though, so there will always be something new to translate...

Are there any bugs discovered or why is this posted here, I do not understand what the problem is, but I want to help solve it if I can !?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 10:19:36 pm by MCR »

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 10:17:52 pm »
I did not change the meaning of any existing option, so existing translations for those options should also 'work' for the future. I just re-positioned some of the controls, but did not rename any stringnames afair...

Offline balasar

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 11:53:44 pm »
I say about this. (see screenshot) Chosen Russian Language.

If this is due to some minor changes to the English text says bayo, then you need to update file ufoai.pot. Is something I do not understand?

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 06:08:08 am »
The po files should be synchronised with English sources. I will do it, but not now, because it is topic of discussion and changes currently. I don`t want to give extra work for translators. I`ll do it tomorrow, if there is no other suggestions.

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 06:16:46 am »
Btw, I have one more suggestion, make bars a bit shorter, to give more space for labels, since there is not enough place for Russian i/e/. May be we should move all labels some left for the same.

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 06:26:06 am »
And one more, please, don`t do as you done in revision #30039, look to the wiki about component node. And be consistent with all UI, may be change options page to make it consistent with main menu?

Offline balasar

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 08:41:25 am »
Thank Kildor, now more clear.

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 09:13:28 am »
I am sorry. I did not know that stars are not allowed in the text & would f*ck up translations. I always work with the English version of the game, because afaik many of the other translations are not finished anyway.

bayo thank you for correcting this.

Yesterday I uploaded a quick patch already to bring some of the new green shades to the other menus already, so I think the look is more or less consistent now throughout the menus.

I would have no problem, would even appreciate it, if someone else continues work on tooltips & menus, but I really think they deserve an upgrade ;)
Afair not much has changed optically since v2.2 and 2008 (!) & this is exactly what the player starting 2.3 will notice first. We could improve lots of things regarding the menus:

1. New additional fonts could replace the old one & bring some variety to the menus, I do not know yet what the ufo scripts exactly support & where the boarders are, but there are tools, which one can use to create awesome looking fonts with many colors for example. We could self-design our fonts for UFO:AI !

2. All the icons & boxes could need some graphic upgrades too.

3. We should think about some other resolution, or some new system, which presents our menus sharp, no matter which resolution the game is running on.

4. I want to see new background pictures (lostwon, optionsbg, other) & a new loading picture, maybe we could even use the 3d engine of the game to present all the menus, imho this should be possible @ least all the code is already loaded (caching of models ?!) like can be seen when clicking on credits.

5. The other menus are presented in a very logic & intuitive way, so imho those do not need many changes, I just want to add 1 pop-up to prevent players from unintentionally exiting the campaign. Also tooltips for all the other buttons should be made imho, but I am NOT volunteering for that one.

I will stop my work on the menus (execept that I will code this one missing pop-up in the near future), feel free to implement some of those ideas or not. Maybe we could agree on a concept for the HUDs & the menus in the near future. I think that would be great.

I am sorry again if I stepped on someone's toes by tuning the options menu.

Offline balasar

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 12:44:39 pm »
All right. Anyone can make mistakes, I just noticed ...