project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: The best of the best of the best. Sir. With honors.  (Read 3266 times)

Offline weekendwarriora1c

• Rookie
    • View Profile
The best of the best of the best. Sir. With honors.
« on: May 16, 2010, 05:15:02 am »
Peace has reigned for so many decades among the various nations of Earth that the average foot soldier has never seen combat, and a general deterioration of skill afflicts soldiers to an all-time low.  Okay. 

We'll assume that there has been no cold war, no rebellion, no organized crime, no terrorism and is in short a human utopia from which no worthwhile tactical or military skill could spring forth.  Great.

Oh, and no sharpshooting, Olympic, target practice, hunting or general handling of firearms which might generally teach an individual which end goes where.  No problem.

Even the best of the best, the elite, soldiers sent by UN member nations as the last best chance of defeating this alien menace, are men and women whose weapons handling skills are characterized by words like "mediocre" and "average."  (Which would imply they rank poorly even in this future of pointless and worthless soldiers.)  Fine.

An elite PHALANX sniper can miss an enemy while firing from a standing, unsupported position from four-hundred yards with a scoped, high-power rifle.  Understandable. 

This same sniper can somehow put this same round through the back of another elite PHALANX soldier, requiring the weapon be pointed THREE FEET in the wrong direction.  Now we're stretching belief.

That this grievously wounded, elite PHALANX soldier, with less discipline than I would expect from a member of a high school marching band, would then fire a grenade at the sniper, just takes this whole situation into the realm of comedy.

Is it possible to have a six-pack attachment we can place in our inventory, to round the experience out?  Perhaps the dropship could be replaced with a still-running 76 pickup truck with big mud tires?

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: The best of the best of the best. Sir. With honors.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 01:03:54 pm »
So they're not the best. They're volounteers.

Sometimes you have to sacrifice a little believabiltiy for the sake of gameplay. People like leveling their soldiers.

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 02:02:17 pm »
I like leveling them, too.  Which I'm sure they'd do, if they could survive more than one mission.  The aliens have no problems snap-shotting me the length of the map, but my guys can't hit a house with a sniper rifle at half that range.

Offline Edi

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 05:47:51 pm »
I like leveling them, too.  Which I'm sure they'd do, if they could survive more than one mission.  The aliens have no problems snap-shotting me the length of the map, but my guys can't hit a house with a sniper rifle at half that range.
Never had that problem. Closing in with the aliens is not difficult. Somebody acts as a spotter and makes sure they have cover and everyone else advances in cover. When you're close enough, kill them. If you're losing soldiers on every mission, you're doing things wrong.

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 07:52:21 pm »
I wasn't losing soldiers before they changed the reactions.