project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Base-launched cruise missiles?  (Read 6344 times)

Offline Svevlad

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Base-launched cruise missiles?
« on: May 13, 2010, 04:20:41 pm »
It would be a Geoscape weapon, launched just like interceptors but the main difference would be that it would be much faster, more powerful... and expendable. Useful when dealing with superior enemy crafts and super-fast ones.
It would require missile silo building also...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 04:31:44 pm by Svevlad »

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Base-launched cruise missiles?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 04:33:29 pm »
That's against the grain of the game, so no.

Offline Svevlad

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 04:47:18 pm »
Ok then :)
I thought it would be more realistic... You could only build one missile silo capable of launching one missile as a heavy support for interceptors. After that you need to make another one. I did not know that it would bring disbalance much

Offline Sarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 04:55:25 pm »
It wouldn't be realistic...any missile packed with enough fuel to intercept and enough heat to take down UFO would be so big that it would get shot down long before hitting the target.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 05:00:40 pm »
It's not about realism or balance, it's just that this isn't the kind of game where you sit back and shoot your enemy with missiles. If you want that, you should play Command & Conquer.

Offline Svevlad

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
I agree
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 05:42:19 pm »
Well I totally agree that it isnt that kind of game. But this is a game of variety, so choosing different strategies could be more interesting. Anyway I drop my case. The idea came because it would be very easy to insert such thing because it would differ almost only cosmeticaly from the ceptors. May I ask why did you dropped the idea of naval/underwater battles? I am a new member so I dont know. Was it because of engine/code problems? Or is it just too much work?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 05:44:32 pm by Svevlad »

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 05:46:47 pm »
Underwater battles were never part of the plan, so we didn't "drop" them as such. If I had to come up with a reason why we're not including them, I'd say they create a lot of extra work for no real gain.

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 07:56:32 pm »
Just a quick note, isn't the existing missile launcher basically this? Big AA missiles fired over long distances to relieve some stress from your interceptors?

Offline Sarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 09:52:35 pm »
I think he meant something a bit bigger, probably intercontinental. But problem is that to carry enough fuel to get big enough payload fast enough over such distance, you'd need something as big as Saturn V. And such things are hard to miss.

Offline Svevlad

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 06:49:54 pm »
I think he meant something a bit bigger, probably intercontinental. But problem is that to carry enough fuel to get big enough payload fast enough over such distance, you'd need something as big as Saturn V. And such things are hard to miss.

NO I did not mean to shoot aliens with A-bombs, I meant using an expendable interceptor-like missile for engaging alien aircraft which is too fast or very tough.

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 11:03:12 pm »
NO I did not mean to shoot aliens with A-bombs, I meant using an expendable interceptor-like missile for engaging alien aircraft which is too fast or very tough.

Regular payloads take space too you know. So you need a decent rocket. And a lot of fuel to carry it all. And more fuel to carry the fuel.

All in all, cruise missiles would be ridiculous to use against aliens if even normal, specifically designed SAM-rockets can't maintain a lock (PHALANX's Cicada missiles simply have the best chance to maintain lock). A big cruise missile wouldn't fare much better. They're also slower and as such easier to hit.
Oh and long range SAM missiles tend to be fairly big too, so these cruises would be HUGE.

Offline Svevlad

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 09:27:43 am »
Well well...Today I realised that Missile Silo does exist in-game and yet the noble admin and you took a poop on the idea...I apologise for missunderstanding but...the whole time noone but the last person who wrote the post ever thought to mention it? Damn...
The idea was just like it is in-game...a bloody Missile Silo which fires missiles at the upcoming alien crafts...nothing more nothing less...Well maybe more graphically

Offline Svevlad

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2010, 09:29:49 am »
Posted by: Hertzila 
Just a quick note, isn't the existing missile launcher basically this? Big AA missiles fired over long distances to relieve some stress from your interceptors?

Thank you man...It seems that you're the onlyone who understands english

Offline Borsti67

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2010, 12:15:00 pm »
Thank you man...It seems that you're the onlyone who understands english
Hold it man... What do you expect when you suggest something what's already implemented?
Either you want it more powerful (that's why you got the 1st answers) or you didn't look into the game which would sound quite silly when asking for improvements. ;)

Offline Svevlad

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2010, 02:03:53 pm »
Well the problem is that it was hard to tell how the bloody thing works because if you click on some other facilities in your base, Ufopaedia opens with a description, not with an options menu. So I figured out that it must be a classic defense turret like sonic defenses in X-COM TFTD e.g. when your base is under attack you can defend it with it and that is all...Until I discovered that you can interact with it through the base.