project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Weapon platforms?  (Read 3338 times)

Offline Svevlad

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Weapon platforms?
« on: May 13, 2010, 04:15:48 pm »
Hello all... I am a beginner in modeling and I use Maya. Sorry if I overlooked the topic over tactical battle vehicles, I failed to find any. So...I am prepaired to make a stun grenade launcher vehicle based on Yugoslavian BOV-M or Battle Armored Vehicle Militia Issue. I am a serb myself, and I saw what this impressive vehicle can do

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ea/BOV-M.jpg

I thought about it for a long time and it seems that it would be very useful in dealing with aliens. However, there is a possibility that such a support weapon would be too much powerful expecially if given to the player at the begining. You see, the idea is that such a vehicle would be able to fire multiple stun grenades/shells/whatever each turn. I gave it a theoretical 3 rounds per turn rate of fire. It should be medium armored like in real life, of average speed. I would also remove the fence system because it would be too complicated to use it in-game. It WOULD NOT act as an APC which actually is.
So...what do you think?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon platforms?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 05:48:30 pm »
I wouldn't include it in the game as a usable weapon (the engine doesn't support it and it doesn't fit in with the combat model), but a model like that for military themed maps could be nice.

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 08:00:12 pm »
One word: UGVs. Basically this but more fitting in the setting (and cargo bay).

Offline WhiteFang

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 04:11:01 am »
I have some similar ideas. A ammo trunk is one, some times you give your troops weapons
only to get there and find you need a rocket launcher and don't have one. So the ammo trunk
would work like something like this it is a small robot that can carry up to four weapons
depending on the size. Or you can have it carry extra ammo for your troops.
I think it would work best if you are facing lots of robots or heavily armored troops
that need different weapons to take down.

Or a weapons platform that you can swap out the weapon that it has (only at the base).

Offline Borsti67

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 08:15:26 pm »
Regarding "wrong weapon" I believe it was already suggested that the dropship should have an inventory by itself, so you could go back and pick up what you need if you're fast enough... ;D