project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: New Reaction Fire system and other game tweaks (.diff file)  (Read 3967 times)

Offline Yatta

• Rookie
    • View Profile
New Reaction Fire system and other game tweaks (.diff file)
« on: March 22, 2010, 09:05:01 pm »
Hello.

I tought its worth mentioning here : ive made an experimental patch for ufoAI, involving a new reaction fire system, changes how burst are handled, adds a critical hit system, and a few others tweaks.

All the details, the warnings and the .diff file are available here : http://ufoai.ninex.info/forum/index.php?topic=4564.msg35244#msg35244

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
Re: New Reaction Fire system and other game tweaks (.diff file)
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 11:10:58 am »
Hey Yatta,

Is this patch finished now ?!
The link you posted contains only 'old' stuff...
& the patch tracker item Mattn created is also not updated...

The guidelines can be hard sometimes, but please do NOT give up, patches that add positive stuff to the gameplay & break monotony are very welcome & I like a lot of your ideas, but to really comment on them I need to first test them out on the battlefield...

& I think for that to happen you should check your code & correct all the stuff Mattn wrote about  ;)

I want a stable version without compiler-warnings to test this  ;)

Greetinx & please don't give up, you can do it if you really want  ;) :D ;D

Offline Yatta

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: New Reaction Fire system and other game tweaks (.diff file)
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 09:06:38 pm »
Hello MCR, and ... sorry : I did stop the development of this patch.

I have to admit strict coding guidelines did chill me somewhat. I did want to help the project, but my motive was also to have fun in doing so. Correcting bugs, warnings and such make sense obviously, a code has to be clean. However, I just felt that some constraints cost too much extra work and re-checks when they did not actually made the code better (that camelcase thing for instance).

The UFO:AI project is not a company with paid employees, so in my opinion the working environment should be made more flexible and firendly in order to attract and keep participants (well, at least for the coding part). Its a non-professional free game project, and you can still go do work without being professionaly strict, and it might also make the project grow faster.

Once again, theres no bad in constraints - as long as their effect justify their cost.

So basically, yes, I was somehwat put off by the 'little' constaints - not big the structural ones, but thats not all : Im currently opening an online shop and thats a lot of work, so I dont have as much time as before, and I rather spend my free time on things that feels more fun than checking where the capitals letters are in a variable name.

That said, iirc, the patch files are quite complete - altough old - and excepts for some minors errors and guidelines deviances, it worked back then. And since its open source code, anyone can continue it ;)

Sorry to disappoint you.