project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Are save files portable?  (Read 2624 times)

Offline in a bit of a pickle

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Are save files portable?
« on: May 07, 2010, 08:38:37 pm »
Hi all,

I tried out UFO:AI on my trusty lappy for the first time a few days ago and I loved it. After a few false startsI finally managed to get a very, very good game going (after 4 months or so I still haven't lost a single soldier and I finally got base specialization right. Gods, that first month is the stuff of nightmares for a newbie) but playing on my lap for extended periods of time is becoming a bit of drag. I thought of grabbing my save files and copying them over to my desktop 'puter but I couln't find them anywhere.

Can anybody please point me in the right direction?

Thnx!

Offline Edi

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Are save files portable?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 09:39:16 pm »
You need to make your hidden folders visible. Go to control panel, folder options, view tab, select "Show hidden files and folders".

The saves are in either C:\Documents and settings\[user name]\Application data\UFOAI (for Windows XP) or C:\Userdata\[user name]\UFOAI or similar in Windows Vista or 7 (not quite sure of the path there).

Not that it will do you much good, since one of the updates within the next week or so will make savegames incompatible with the newer revisions.

Offline in a bit of a pickle

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 10:06:29 pm »
Gah. I knew it'd be something obvious like that. Thanks!

I know about incompatibility between versions (2.3)  but that's ok. I'm using this playthrough more to get used to the game than anything else. I want to see what the research progression is like more or less endgame, research rates, how to move people around, tactics. Stuff like that.

Offline talon

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 12:28:17 pm »
once the new save game feature is in place
will the save games made with it be portable to the next updates

sorry its a bit confusing

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 12:41:40 pm »
once the new save game feature is in place
will the save games made with it be portable to the next updates

sorry its a bit confusing

The "new save game feature" (*.savx) is in place already. We keep them compatible as long as it worths. Check Compatibility Announces regularly to see if we broke them.

-geever