project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: GUI Design  (Read 84884 times)

Offline Bartleby

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: GUI Design
« Reply #165 on: November 04, 2010, 12:34:31 pm »
widescreen:
i would set as much as possible of the gui in the corners or the right and left side.

EDIT:
but ure on the right way and i am sure that the new gui will be better.
- the healthbar of the active soldier or the list of all soldiers shoulnt be in the middle of the screen.
- i like to see the active soldier with his health in a corner (the upper-left maybe).

EDIT 3:
well... quick edit of ure graphic.
but this will be bad for non widescreend users. so maybe enough, when active soldier and his moral/health is in the upper-left corner.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 08:54:10 pm by Bartleby »

Offline mor2

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 04, 2010, 07:04:08 pm »
its might be a good idea to pursue this to add some verity to our options, especially since h-hour is working on bottom bar(or at least i think he is).

about your mockup i dont like that specific placement, i prefer if the layout is spread max on two walls, not like the red one
how about something like this, basically its the same as what you suggested, i can also reduce the team panel size and make it show additional details on hover like the new 2.4 hud does.

meanwhile, i'll try to shake my initial mockup and see if u can fit the portrait in a bottom bar as well ( and make it less blingy for origin  ;) )
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 07:14:43 pm by mor2 »

Offline Bartleby

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 04, 2010, 08:29:15 pm »
something like this?

Offline mor2

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 04, 2010, 09:06:27 pm »
or maybe like this the problem is that we are doing the opposite of what you wanted, widescreen support, so for that purpose your first idea was better. how about breaking down the weapon control? also before when i said hovered i meant this.

also here is my latest rework of the bottom panel, it still looks chromy, that because i cant use anything without cheating on the UFOIA gray/black/green theme but adding normal colored icons its will make it look much better, so any ideas?

@Origin, this as little "bling" as i can mange and as close to plain with big panels/buttons like your silent storm as i can do.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 10:20:43 pm by mor2 »

Offline Bartleby

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 04, 2010, 09:22:39 pm »
the small soldier is really a great idea :). much better than just a big face.

main idea of widescreen-suppport is to keep the center (x) free and set all information in the left and/or right side of the screen (y).

--------------------------------
  |    y     |      x      |     y    |
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 09:25:35 pm by Bartleby »

Offline mor2

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 04, 2010, 10:09:19 pm »
this one is mostly luck, my hud is to high so i already dont have enough space for my "head" nodes, so it was either use the additional space for the name which came out ugly, so i tried to the model from a.hud, why not little something to break the strict lines.(reminds me the commandos backpack)

as for wide screen, if you use that scheme you'll have to run from side to side with the mouse, which is why i prefer this:
  |    y/x   |      x      |    x      |     x    |
  |    y     |      y      |    y      |     y    |

either placing your hud on the side and bottom or place it on the bottom and make all the info panel open on the side(the y/x), in either case i try always to keep an area that will always be dedicated to the action.

Offline mor2

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 06, 2010, 01:29:13 am »
well here is that new bottom idea and a color cheat on my part (trying to sway people from the gray/black/green)

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 06, 2010, 11:32:15 am »
i love it, btw,
* if the aiming cross icon is used to open a popup, it is better to move this 3 button slots on the top of the weapon. and maybe this 3 slots can be shoot,inventory,and reload.
* the blue icon near ammo model is useless (if it is a stylised bar, maybe you should use a classical bar, as u done for the soldier status)
* the clock icon must be redone imo, but it is a good idea (for the last icon bar, it can be something like a smilly with some stats, like the Doom guy)

Offline mor2

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 06, 2010, 03:23:41 pm »
which one, the bottom or the other one where i was little cheating with colors?  i still dont know how much room do i have with them  :-\

the blue ammo icon its just something until the node showing ammo arrives, someone has to fall for the puppy face request ;)
and i added the buttons there for those who dont like to use R.click and it can go up.
btw which colors for the stats do you prefer?  i think maybe TU-blue/green, HP-red/green, Moral-yellow/purple

but graphics aside, what about the whole layout?  is there something needed to be added or removed? given additional attention/thought ?
different way to represent data ?  or  should i add the floor selection here as well, in the a.hud fashion?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 03:41:17 pm by mor2 »