project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Can not hire any more personal (game broken)  (Read 4406 times)

Offline gregor

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Can not hire any more personal (game broken)
« on: April 05, 2010, 11:58:19 am »
Hello, I am following the development every now and then so i went ahead and downloaded latest stable release 2.2.1. With exception of a few minor bugs and glitches (inlcuding certian CTDs) i progressed in game. Untill i ran into a bug that seems to have broken my game.

I can not hire anymore people because my crew quarter are full (the game says) however if i fire a few people i still get the same message and can not hire more personel (not even same the ones that just got fired). Is there a workarround/solution/fix for this bug? Because if there isn't i can not continue as i will slowly run out of soldiers

I also have a question - are the save games going to be compatible with new version?
Also what is the point of the interceptor battles being so hard to win even on super easy mode? I read in forums that it will be even harder in new version.

Still great game you guys made... And you came a long way since i first tried it. Only wish the bugs (at least the big ones) are ironed out soon.

Offline Legendman3

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Can not hire any more personal (game broken)
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 12:48:28 pm »
*bump*

Offline Edi

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 01:15:25 pm »
Not a remedy for the stable version as far as I know. You're better off trying the dev versions in any case, since they are much farther along and are fairly stable. If you download 29004, it even has working day/night in the 3D geoscape, while later versions have it broken for the moment.

Offline gregor

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 05:56:37 pm »
So if i understand correctly you are advising me to switch to a test release because this bug can not be solved? Basically remove this (stable) version including saved games from my hard disk?

And the test version - can you reach the end in that game or does it also feature game breaking bugs? I know there are plenty of things still missing (tanks etc...) but i was hoping it is at least possible to finish the game.

Offline Edi

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 08:14:07 pm »
I'm advising you to switch to the dev version of 2.3, because you can actually finish the game there. The 2.2.1 stable release is not complete and once you get far enough, it will just give you a screen <TODO> and end there. As well, a lot of the bugs that exist in 2.2.1 are fixed in 2.3dev.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 09:25:44 pm »
The living quarters bug you mentioned has been fixed in 2.3-dev. We don't support 2.2.x by now (we don't backport bugfixes to it). However saves are incompatible between minor versions (and I'm still working on another save-break). The 2.3-dev got further and has a temporary end. We still haven't implemented the whole storyline and features, it's still a long road ahead. :)

-geever

Offline gregor

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 06:22:44 pm »
Understood. It a great yet difficult remake. I will download the advised version and try to come to the so called temporary end :-)

BTW i don't think you are so far from the finish. Ok a few bugs to iron out, some game balancing issues, a few models still missing... But all in all even the 2.2.1 looks quite decent.

If only the game is fully playable and then you could work on bug fixes (just like in the commercial gaming industry).

He is a small suggestion from me - as i see there need to be more armour models and also tank vehicles. My opinion on this is that missing armour could be sort of similar maybe just different in colour (that way game is made playable and can be modded or added later). Also "tanks" - are they really necessary? As is now the game seems quite interesting. And as i remember in originals, tanks were kind of overkill especially later in game. I mean no panic, no moralle losses, high health & armour...

Offline Legendman3

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 09:55:22 pm »
The 2.3-dev got further and has a temporary end. We still haven't implemented the whole storyline and features, it's still a long road ahead.

When do you think we will move onto the next version?

Offline ManicMiner

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 03:27:06 pm »
Hi,

This might seem like a dumb question, but why do you even need to break the saved games? I only ask because I work with a product (not a game) that saves data.

We've managed to go from a 2.x release through to 5.x release, with over 500 revisions, incorporating new features all the time, and removing redundant code - and yet, not once have we had to break the save feature... so if someone exported out the configuration table in version 2.x.xx, it'll work correctly if you load it in version 4.x.xx.

Offline Prinegon

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 04:58:27 pm »
It is simply easier this way?
Don't get me wrong, it probably would be nice to be able to continue in ufoai2.3 with the old savegames. But how much work would it be to translate the savegames of a 2 year old version to this new one? Lets say, the structure of theese savegames would be quite similar, many concepts have changed. There are no medics hireable anymore, for example. So every hired medic would to be eliminated. If I am not wrong, the capacity of the quarters have reduced from 50 to 20. So there is the possibility there are savegames with more personal, than quarters avialble. In my savegame of 2.3 I found out that one can build more than one aircraft in one hangar. In 2.3 this is not possible anymore. What to do, if you find a base with 5 aircrafts but only one hangar? And the alien hangar? Theese are not part of the base anymore but are build on the surface seperately. Only one alien hangar can be build per base and there is no distinction anymore between small and large hangar. What to do of a base consisting of 5 workstations and 5 greater alien hangar? Only delete the alien hangar? Build them on a random spot on the surface neglecting the cap you would have, if you have startet your game using 2.3 in the first place? And if you just delete the hangars, what about the captured ships in them? There is the possibility one already has captured, developed and dismantled alien ships and does not possess a single hangar anymore.
And if in the 2.4 version of UfoAI the restriction is implemented that all base rooms have to be connected, what to do then, if removing an alien hangar seperates your base into two seperate parts? Just randomly rearrange the rooms?

It probably will be possible to transform your old savegames into the new version. But to do so, it requires manpower to write routines that judge all theese questions. And even if it would be done you would end up with a transformed savegame that doesn't really reflect your progress anymore, since you would have chosen different options if you'd played with 2.3 rules right from the start on.