project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Additional Alien Textures To Enhance Variety There...  (Read 15820 times)

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
Re: Additional Alien Textures To Enhance Variety There...
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2010, 11:28:28 am »
I agree with differentiation of skin pattern. This should be differ.

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2010, 11:39:01 am »
btw, I also cleaned the body textures of their jpg artifacts & will try to optimize filesizes with indexed colors & save the new skins as pngs...

FYI: There could be a problem in the near future with the way we handle our skins for bodies & heads:

@ the moment the informations about the skins for the bodies are stored inside the md2 file, for the heads there are seperate md2 files which have just one skin defined (so each head has his own md2, but the bodies have just one md2 with included skins).

This has the effect @ the moment, that glowmaps for heads can easily be defined & are used by the engine the same way like for guns or objects, but glowmaps for the bodies are ignored no matter how you name them  :'(

IMHO this has nothing to do with the animation frames the bodies have defined, but rather with the fact that the skin graphics are defined inside the md2 file of the body...
I am not 100% sure about that, as I have to find a way first to delete the additional skins from the bodies md2s  :-\ to test this theory properly...
I am working on figuring out how to exactly do that...

Here additional info (unfortunately mixed together with a second bug) for those interested:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2992015&group_id=157793&atid=805242

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2010, 11:44:03 am »
/offtopic on
@ Kildor: Your changes in the soldiers statistics are great !
Do you think you are able & willing to integrate medals there also, if we throw together some  8) definitions for them ?
/offtopic off

I agree with differentiation of skin pattern. This should be differ.
Don't worry, I will make them differ even more (as this are just first fully working test versions) & also will make them look more angry & aggressive...  >:(  >:(  >:(

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2010, 11:48:22 am »
You are again forget about non-hymanity of aliens.
And second (always forgetting to say). Quantity doesn`t transform to quality.

You don`t need to make all possible skins, because you can, you shouldn`t make all weapons glow and even more, soldiers shouldn`t glow. Really. And don`t talk about «black beauty», this is just a soldier.

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2010, 12:37:52 pm »
You are again forget about non-hymanity of aliens.
Sorry, I do not understand this one... This seems to be no English.

And second (always forgetting to say). Quantity doesn`t transform to quality.
I will prepare a special 'Kildor hates it  >:(' pk3 for you, if you want to tell me here honestly that you want to see just 2 different Tamans with jpg artifacts & unreal looking eyes in-game...

You don`t need to make all possible skins, because you can, you shouldn`t make all weapons glow and even more, soldiers shouldn`t glow. Really. And don`t talk about «black beauty», this is just a soldier.
This is offtopic here. Do not hijack this thread. ;) (Just a joke, Kildor - A JOKE  ;D  >:()

And don`t talk about «black beauty», this is just a soldier.
This is again off-topic, but
                                    is this just your well-known kindness I feel here, or

Do you really not understand things like ironic stuff, jokes, humor !? ::) ???

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2010, 03:36:02 pm »
Sorry, I do not understand this one... This seems to be no English.

I think he means that the aliens are no humans, so their understanding of aggression and angryness and other feelings can be very different from ours.

I will prepare a special 'Kildor hates it  >:(' pk3 for you, if you want to tell me here honestly that you want to see just 2 different Tamans with jpg artifacts & unreal looking eyes in-game...

To be frank I too would prefer four or six well-made, noticeably different textures over 16 or more nearly indistinguishable, not-so-well-made textures (your textures are good, this is a general example). Quality over quantity holds true in most situations.
Nobody here is saying they'd prefer bad textures but it's usually a better idea to make a few great skins rather than a couple dozen "meh"-ones. Of course, if you can make over 16 well-made, noticeably different textures, go for it.

This is again off-topic, but
                                    is this just your well-known kindness I feel here, or

Do you really not understand things like ironic stuff, jokes, humor !? ::) ???

We are talking on a text-based forum. While we can imitate stuff like humor, "sarcasm" and things best left alone, fake tags are your best friends when the feel of the text must be carried over it. On irony: [/irony]. On jokes: [/joke]. On sarcasm: [/sarcasm]. And so on. This makes misunderstandings nigh impossible.
E: Actually, misunderstandings will still happen but tags are about as close as you can get to eliminating them. Overusing them makes the text a pain to read though.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 03:43:35 pm by Hertzila »

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2010, 04:31:15 pm »
Sorry if all my stuff here is misunderstood  :-\ :-[

For everyone here: I will make only 4 (!) different head textures & only 4 (!) different body textures for the unarmored Taman, which just means that we will have 16 possibilities for combination, you can be sure I will not make 16 heads ;)...

The downside with this system here is that I cannot use skin colors for body & head, which differ too much from each other, because 'every head has to fit on every body', if you understand what I mean - so skin tones may not vary too much for this system to work optically correct & look 'realistic', as people also often have different skin tones on various parts of their bodies, but you will usually not find a black man with a white face ;), so this should be valid for aliens also...

Here 1 W.I.P. shot of the actual 4 (!) different Taman faces & you can see 2 of the 4 (!) different body skins here also...:

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2010, 11:51:28 pm »
This just needs some fine-tuning now, but is more or less ready...
Take a look:

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2010, 11:54:52 pm »
In-game:

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2010, 09:38:36 pm »
Finished the skins, made normalmaps for them, preparing a patch...

But first some impressions for you:

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2010, 09:39:53 pm »

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2010, 09:41:00 pm »
 :o

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2010, 09:42:13 pm »
 8)

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2010, 09:45:11 pm »
I hope you like those, was quite some work...

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2010, 12:02:06 am »
Patch Uploaded. Here again the links:

Textures, Normalmaps & md2 files pk3 (put into your base folder) ready to test here:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/d2ymtmwwz5z/16TamansUpdate.pk3
(Normalmaps will not work yet & are untested in-game)

diff file for team_aliens.ufo attached here...

I will attach the .ufo file as .txt also for those who do not know what to do with the diff (just delete the .txt & put it into your base/ufos folder)...

So if someone wants to try the new Tamans... feel free to do so...