project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: [+city] Parking Garage -- please help test new map before 2.3  (Read 20358 times)

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Re: [+city] Parking Garage -- please help test new map before 2.3
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 01:17:30 pm »
rebuilding the ship models into brushes? i don't think this should happen. for the big ufo - where some detailed interior is included - we will stick to brushes, but for the others we should keep the meshes and fix the lighting issues in the code.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2010, 01:39:50 pm »
rebuilding the ship models into brushes? i don't think this should happen. for the big ufo - where some detailed interior is included - we will stick to brushes, but for the others we should keep the meshes and fix the lighting issues in the code.

Ahh ok. Another question related to how the campaign system handles the dropship tiles. Does every assembly have to support all three dropships? Right now the city RMA has to use a fixed tile layout. But I was planning on putting different dropships in different areas, so each one would need its own assembly (the dropship wouldn't simply be switched out on an otherwise similar tile that appears in the same location). Is this possible, or does every assembly have to accomodate all three dropships on the same size tile that appears in the same location?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2010, 01:45:09 pm »
Four dropships.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2010, 02:27:32 pm »
Four dropships.

What am I missing? I've got prefabs for Firebird, Herakles and Raptor available in UFORadiant. All of the RMAs I checked have tiles for these three dropships only.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2010, 02:43:13 pm »
You're missing the Hyperion, which isn't a surprise because as far as I know, the Hyperion model is still lacking a texture.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2010, 02:52:58 pm »
Am I right in thinking that it will not make an appearance in 2.3 and is therefore not an immediate concern?

btw, BTAxis, your posts are not showing up as "new posts" when I click the link at the top right of the forum page (H-hour, my messages, new posts, etc.). I've noticed twice today, but perhaps there's just a delay in the time it takes for a new post to appear as a new post, since we've been on each other's heels quite a bit.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2010, 03:11:35 pm »
Am I right in thinking that it will not make an appearance in 2.3 and is therefore not an immediate concern?

Yes.

btw, BTAxis, your posts are not showing up as "new posts" when I click the link at the top right of the forum page (H-hour, my messages, new posts, etc.). I've noticed twice today, but perhaps there's just a delay in the time it takes for a new post to appear as a new post, since we've been on each other's heels quite a bit.

I've never actually used that. I just watch the icons next to the forum and then click on the last post link if someone posted. Means I sometimes have to check if there were new posts in more than one topic, but most of the time it works out.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2010, 03:45:58 pm »
This post showed up in my new posts list, so there must just be a small delay that I was dropping into. I guess I should probably focus on work more. :)

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2010, 11:32:48 pm »
Another question related to how the campaign system handles the dropship tiles. Does every assembly have to support all three dropships? Right now the city RMA has to use a fixed tile layout. But I was planning on putting different dropships in different areas, so each one would need its own assembly (the dropship wouldn't simply be switched out on an otherwise similar tile that appears in the same location). Is this possible, or does every assembly have to accomodate all three dropships on the same size tile that appears in the same location?

Anyone know the answer to this question? If I'm not clear enough let me know.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2010, 07:41:00 am »
tiles that match the naming schema for the dropships (see other rmas) must exist. but they must not be the same tiles only with different dropships - you are totally free here. you just have to ensure that every dropship has a tile in your theme, as the player can send whatever dropship he like to send to your missions. this is not true for ufos, you can also only support one ufo, but your missions won't appear that often on geoscape then (see maps.ufo ufos entry), the dropships entry in maps.ufo is only for skirmish - as for campaign it's assumed to have them all anyway.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2010, 10:17:12 am »
Thanks! That's easy enough.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2010, 11:45:27 am »
Ok, I'm at the stage where I'm trying to work out the dropship tiles and I'm having some trouble. In order to make things easier, I've put all dropships on a 3x2 tile that fits into the same place in the overall configuration. However, if I set the *rm_drop +craft_drop_firebird "1 1" it fails to load. I've gotten it to load by setting a fixed craft with the following assembly:

Code: [Select]
assembly garage
{
size "8 6"
fix +str_cross "0 0"
fix +strv_1a "0 1"
fix +strv_1a "0 2"
fix +strv_1a "0 3"
fix +strv_1a "0 4"
fix +str_cross "0 5"

fix +strh_cwl_1a "1 0"
fix +strh_1a "2 0"
fix +strh_1a "3 0"
fix +strh_cwr_1a "4 0"

fix +bldl_4x4_2a "1 1"

fix +strh_cwl_1a "1 5"
fix +strh_1a "2 5"
fix +strh_1a "3 5"
fix +strh_cwr_1a "4 5"

fix +str_rail_cross "5 0"
fix +strv_rail_btm2a "5 1"
fix +craft_drop_firebird "5 2"
fix +str_rail_cross "5 5"

}

It will work if I replace +craft_drop_firebird with the other two crafts. However, if I replace that line with the proper line to allow the user to select the dropship (*rm_drop +craft_drop_firebird "1 1"), it will not load.

Any ideas?

I've committed everything to where I'm up to now. The current version of the UMP uses a fixed tile so that it will load for anyone who decides to play it.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2010, 12:02:48 pm »
Why does it fail to load? What error do you get?

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2010, 12:17:49 pm »
Could not assemble map with assembly [assemblyname].

Sorry, can't load up now to get the exact text, but it's the standard can't assemble message.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2010, 12:50:38 pm »
Please paste the whole assembly. I suspect you didn't properly define your tile borders (which are ignored with +fix).