project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: strange messages  (Read 9694 times)

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
Re: strange messages
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 06:33:57 am »
Sure. Some like compile_maps.bat /fast, or so on. Also you can run this cmd as "compile_maps.bat city", to include only that folder.

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2010, 10:28:28 pm »
Also you can run this cmd as "compile_maps.bat city", to include only that folder.
If 'city' continues to take ages to compile, we'd need something like "compile_maps.bat -city", to *ex*clude only that folder.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2010, 12:54:49 am »
Duke, I'm working on some optimizations, but city will continue to take ages to compile even after this. And it will only get longer as more tiles are added (right now there's only one building, but in the future there will be several).

You could run /fast on the city folder before you run the regular compile_maps.bat, because it should only compile .maps that are newer than their .bsps (if I'm remembering correctly).

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2010, 07:37:33 am »
you can also just use the
Code: [Select]
map-get.py upgrade script from contrib/scripts

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2010, 12:49:15 am »
Notabene: In this community I'm probably the one who has the *least* problems with ufo2map compile times :)
So I'm not asking for myself, I'm just trying to anticipate the problems that *others* will run into if H-Hour continues to add such beautiful maps/tiles.

@H-Hour:
Don't change the columns. They may not add to the gameplay, but they add to the atmosphere. The only thing I ask from you is to look for places where you can achieve the *same or an equivalent* result with less lights and/or brushes.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2010, 11:43:39 am »
currently the process to fetch the surface list of each level is calculated each frame, this can be optimized to make this process less cpu-bound. R_GetSurfaceLevelList or something like that was the name of the function. This would already greatly improve maps with a lot of brushes/faces.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2010, 12:03:28 pm »
@H-Hour:
Don't change the columns. They may not add to the gameplay, but they add to the atmosphere. The only thing I ask from you is to look for places where you can achieve the *same or an equivalent* result with less lights and/or brushes.

It's too late, I already made the changes, but I actually think the columns work just as well. If you compile and feel differently, please let me know as it can be reverted. But I felt that the building fits together as a whole a little bit better with the newer (cheaper) columns I used.

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2010, 09:03:35 pm »
H-Hour, I looked @ the latest versions of the (simplified) columns & have to tell you honestly that they really do not look half as good as the old ones...
The massive design of the old ones looked much better imho...

You should not really care too much about the compiling times of your map as the gamer will not have to compile the map anyway, like Kildor already mentioned & I am really wondering why Duke with the fastest computer around here shouts so often & so loud & makes you change your great design  >:( ;) ;D...

You rather should take care of short loading times in-game. This can be achieved in many ways & can be optimized & applied @ a later stage of development of your map also, but do not sacrifice visual quality for shorter compilation times...