project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: strange messages  (Read 9727 times)

Offline sinister

• Rookie
    • View Profile
strange messages
« on: April 13, 2010, 08:57:41 pm »
i've just updated ufoai (29368, linux64)
when I select any of my troops in battlescape appears message like "hudenable 5" (or other number, depending on solder) and "sinister: hudenable 5" in console (it's pretty annoying :))
I removed keys.cfg but messge still appears.

also i've just cauch "Error: Received signal 11." when i tried to remove reserved TU  ::)

« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 08:59:18 pm by sinister »

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
Re: strange messages
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 09:22:27 pm »
I think Mattn repaired this in r29379, I am not sure though:

CIA-80   tlh2000 * r29379 /ufoai/trunk/base/ufos/ui/althud.ufo: * fixed hudenable for althud

Maybe you could test this version ?

Unfortunately I cannot help you with your 'signal 11.'-error.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 10:25:21 pm »
if you find a way to reproduce the TU reservation, please post a backtrace (see debugging section in our wiki)

Offline sinister

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 09:49:51 am »
i'll try
Updated to revision 29388. (game says that 'build 29368')
when post-processing shader effects enabled rendering area in battlescape became smaller than window (see screenshot)

cursor moves green selection cube but do not point into it

also ufoai/base/maps/city/citybldl_4x4_2a.map  builds infinity time (i waited for 2 hours, stoped compiliing amd removed this file)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 10:03:22 am by sinister »

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 10:24:49 am »
> also ufoai/base/maps/city/citybldl_4x4_2a.map  builds infinity time
2 hours aren`t infinite, it can compile for a 4-6 hours.

Offline sinister

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 10:47:26 am »
strange, other maps compiles much quicker (about a 10 minutes)

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 11:44:50 am »
strange, other maps compiles much quicker (about a 10 minutes)

citybldl_4x4_2a.map is the first in the new city RMA and it works at a much higher level of detail than existing maps (especially the lighting). There have been a lot of optimizations in the last couple days, so you might try getting the latest and compiling that. It's currently not playable (ie - no aliens exist on the map) anyway, so you could leave it for now.

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 12:37:19 am »
At least I can confirm that it takes *ages* to compile that map, even on my i7 :(
That map alone already took more time (30+ mins and still compiling)  than I used to need for compiling *all* the maps.
==> there is something 'fishy' about that map.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 01:23:59 am »
At least I can confirm that it takes *ages* to compile that map, even on my i7 :(
That map alone already took more time (30+ mins and still compiling)  than I used to need for compiling *all* the maps.
==> there is something 'fishy' about that map.

Mattn did a lot of optimization work on it shortly after adding to trunk, but it's still going to be hefty compared to existing maps. Is it inappropriately hefty? I don't know. To my knowledge there are no errors that are causing the long compile times. It's just that the lighting and brush complexity far exceed any previous map for UFOAI. In addition, though I don't think this matters at compile time, the texture sizes used were in general doubled from the sizes commonly being used.

I'd be very interested in hearing more feedback about this. I pushed it at mattn's urging, but without any clear idea about how far is too far. I can't even compile the map on my machine (a puny laptop from 2005), but after the map loads in game (a little longer than other maps) it's very playable. I experience no excessive lag when flying the camera around.

But if you or someone with more technical knowledge wants to take a close look at the compile to see if there is something fishy that may be adding to the compile time, I'd be very grateful. It's my first map.

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 01:25:18 am »
Hmmm. If we want beautiful (ie. rich detail) maps, we'll have to deal with loooong compile times.

Compile time heavily depends on 'brushes * lights', so if you find a way to reduce the # of lights, it would certainly help.

If that doesn't help, we'll need to separate this map (and maybe some others eg. alienbase) from the regular maps. Maybe skip it in compile_maps.bat and create some compile_special_maps.bat.

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 03:55:54 am »
average users don't need to compile maps by themself.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 11:26:22 am »
Compile time heavily depends on 'brushes * lights', so if you find a way to reduce the # of lights, it would certainly help.

I may try and reduce the lights in the car elevator, but I don't want to cut down on the lights around the upper floor balconies as they really make the map stand out.

Another change I've considered is turning the columns into single brushes. I made them complex when I was in the early stages of developing the concept for the building, and now that it's complete I think it might stand alright without that complexity.

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 10:03:02 pm »
average users don't need to compile maps by themself.
Contributors (this includes the testers) have to. And I claim highest comfort for the contributors.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 10:06:25 pm »
You could try that switch that lowers the resolution of the lightmap. That'll usually speed up the compilation by a lot.

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 01:26:23 am »
If used with compile_maps.bat, wouldn't that switch reduce the lightmap resolution of *all* the maps ?