project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: A Simple Custom Music Hack (aka ASCMH)  (Read 2686 times)

Offline DiDiT

• Squad Leader
  • Your local Flame-thrower wielding Furry.
    • View Profile
A Simple Custom Music Hack (aka ASCMH)
« on: April 12, 2010, 06:25:12 pm »
Okay, I'm not sure if this would work but, would replacing songs in the 0music.zip file with other new songs that share the same name allow those new songs to be played in game in place of the old ones?
If so, how hard would it be to make a program that renames music files to match those in UFOAI's base file and creates a new 0music.zip file with custom music?

Granted I have no knowledge of coding at all, I don't see it as being TOO hard or time consuming since its nothing more a complex than some simple renaming and packaging program. I'm gonna try and set up a windows batch file that does that, to see how hard it is... and If it works, and people are interested in it, I could even give a GUI allowing users to select what files are used for what or something.

any ideas?

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Re: A Simple Custom Music Hack (aka ASCMH)
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 06:31:43 pm »
pk3 files are zip files - see the wiki article to get information on how to overwrite files from other pk3 files

Offline DiDiT

• Squad Leader
  • Your local Flame-thrower wielding Furry.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 06:41:59 pm »
Hmm... i sorta already knew that about pk3 file's, but the wiki page did clear up a few things...

so, am i right in saying i could just pop the files in the music folder and they will play in game, or do i have to scrip them to play?

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 08:18:34 pm »
if you reuse existing files, you don't have to do anything, otherwise (if you add new ones) see base/ufos/music.ufo