project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: What program do you use to make music with?  (Read 3623 times)

Offline masssiveego

• Rookie
    • View Profile
What program do you use to make music with?
« on: May 10, 2010, 12:19:12 am »
I was semi thinking about generating a soundtrack, what kind of programs do you use to generate music with?

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
Re: What program do you use to make music with?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 02:11:10 pm »
I use a DAW called REAPER, though I used to be a Cakewalk user.

I have to warn you though, if you are inexperienced to the point where you aren't familiar with the various DAW (Digital Audio Workstation, which is what is used to make music) packages out there and have to ask such a thing to get started, you'll have a lot of work to do before you can make anything good - and I mean at least two to three YEARS.

Music production on computers is a complex thing that takes lots of work, time, and know-how to do, much like the programming questions you asked about.

Myself, I've done this type of thing on computers since the 1980s, although I could sit down and talk to a professional recording engineer and still learn a thing or two.

Many, but not all, people interested in such a thing will go to school and get a 4-year degree in the thing, some study for even longer.

It is NOT something "quick and easy" for a newcomer, I'm sorry to say, and you also typically need to already be a musician and know at least one instrument first.

Offline masssiveego

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 02:36:21 pm »
Thanks!  Looks like I might have to change my mind.  I'm not really much of a musician.  I figured somebody developed a write your own song sheet, preset the beat kind of music making filing or something.  The last time I made something of a song was like years ago.  It was horrible. 

Because to create that much tension, fear, shock inside the combat music soundtrack probably is going to take way more than what I know.

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 02:44:59 pm »
I've noticed from your posts that you seem to be trying to find some way of helping out - One area we could really use help with is mapping, and learning the map editor we use for this project is rather easy.