project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Melee Weapon: Laser Blade  (Read 8486 times)

Offline val

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Melee Weapon: Laser Blade
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2010, 06:50:14 am »
I've a way to make the laser blade work, if not as a melee weapon.

PHALAX already has infantry usable laser weapons.  Have a really long lasing chamber and capaciter mounted in a rod, with a simple switch trigger.  The user would squeeze the trigger, swing it around in a 45 degree horizontal(or vertical, or both) arc, then let go of the trigger.  The result is a laser "blade" that cuts aliens in half.
Of course maybe could let the aliens have a version of this first, then have the player reverse engineer it.

Offline Thrashard96

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2010, 07:25:17 am »
It's just a lightsaber :D

Offline Sarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2010, 12:44:45 pm »
I've a way to make the laser blade work, if not as a melee weapon.

PHALAX already has infantry usable laser weapons.  Have a really long lasing chamber and capaciter mounted in a rod, with a simple switch trigger.  The user would squeeze the trigger, swing it around in a 45 degree horizontal(or vertical, or both) arc, then let go of the trigger.  The result is a laser "blade" that cuts aliens in half.
Of course maybe could let the aliens have a version of this first, then have the player reverse engineer it.

Well the problem of this configuration is it's too slow to use and bulky to be usable combat weapon.

Offline Lew Yard

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2010, 11:16:34 pm »
Seems strictly inferior to flamethrowers, concussion grenades, and shaped charges.

The "sabot adapter for plasma blade" idea I mentioned in another thread would be much more useful and much simpler to use and manufacture, methinks.

Offline Thrashard96

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2010, 06:49:13 am »
Maybe df cartridge combined with a simple knife would make it a lightsaber/laser blade that cuts 2 squares in any direction and decrease chance of hitting that soldier?

Offline val

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2010, 06:11:51 am »
Well, maybe my version is a prototype for the actually laser weapons and as such gets quickly replaced.

Also, ITS NOT A LIGHTSABER.  One, its as long as a spear, Two, it has a magazine limit, and Three, it doesn't have a range limit like a light saber.

I'd have cleared this up earlier but I don't know how to add pictures to my posts.