project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Track - Return Journey  (Read 14815 times)

Offline Gren

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Track - Return Journey
« on: April 01, 2010, 01:18:03 pm »
I felt I wanted to contribute a little more than just Bug-Hunting, so I made a track for you to listen to - If it's suitable, then by all means add it to the library..  :)

http://wiki.creativecommons.org/File:Return_Journey.ogg

Please let me know what you think..  ::)  ;D

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Track - Return Journey
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 02:48:58 pm »
Pretty nice IMO. The drum seems a bit too loud though.

One (small) request though. Could you change the "main instrument" which starts playing at 1:00 in your track to play a tune more like what is played in this and this at 2:38 and 0:40, respectively. I don't know if you think it fits and I'm not sure would this cause a license hassle but yours sounds nearly like that already and I've started to consider that particular tune kinda like the signature of UFO:AI (I think routinely listening to these tracks causes that) so I decided to ask away. If you think it doesn't fit or it can't be put there, feel free to dismiss this request. It fits UFO:AIs atmosphere nonetheless [/IMO].

Offline Gren

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 04:51:00 pm »
Thanks for the comments Hertzila :)

OK - I'll look at the volume on the drum tracks and listen to the examples to see what I can do with the lead instrument.

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 05:40:38 pm »
Not bad.  I think it has a lot of potential, with a little polishing and minor tweaks.

The main lead instrument, as it is, does seem just a tiny bit too loud in comparison to the other instruments IMO, although I wouldn't quite call it "blaring."  The melody and main idea seems to work quite well though.

Also, keep in mind that if it is going to be used for the game it needs to be designed to loop, from the end all the way back to the beginning.

Offline Gren

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 08:45:32 pm »
Not bad.  I think it has a lot of potential, with a little polishing and minor tweaks.

The main lead instrument, as it is, does seem just a tiny bit too loud in comparison to the other instruments IMO, although I wouldn't quite call it "blaring."  The melody and main idea seems to work quite well though.

Also, keep in mind that if it is going to be used for the game it needs to be designed to loop, from the end all the way back to the beginning.

Thanks Destructavator - any pointers are very welcome.. I have loads of bits of ideas that I should really try to expand upon more and it's nice to get a little fb.  :)

I looked at the volume settings on the drum track and the solo voice and did a remix..

http://wiki.creativecommons.org/File:Return_Journey_r01.ogg

What other tweaks and polishing do you think I should be looking at?

Thank you very much for your input btw. ;D

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 09:39:42 pm »
 ;D 8) ;)

Great man, I really like that one !!!
Time to hear some additional new tracks when playing UFO:AI  ;D

There is one thing though, IMHO every musician contributing music for UFO:AI should keep in mind & that is:
Playing one level in UFO:AI often takes 20 minutes or even more, so this track for example will be looped 7 times during play... Although I like the track very much I would not like this repetition.

Gren, it would be great if you could try to make this longer & extend it with long ambient sequences, like the one @ the beginning of this track...
& I would like to hear more from you in-game, you seem to be a real talented musician, so keep the tracks flowin' & the uploads rollin' ;)

8) GREAT JOB GREN !!!  8)
[/b]

Offline Gren

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 10:51:47 pm »
WOW! thanks MCR!! :-[  :)

I guess I never thought about the duration of a level in-game, but now I know, there shouldn't be any reason why I can't write a 20 minute track  :D I have quite a few ideas that need stringing in together, which can be tied together by spells of ambience (not quite as far as cattle/sheep noises tho - hmmm...)

But thank you so much for the kind comments.. (and the little incentive) [makes note to start on 20 minute sonata immediately]

When I wrote Return Journey, I wasn't aware of just how close the melody was, to your existing van_theme, as Hertzila accurately pointed out, so, just for Hertzila, I added a piano melody track, just as a realisation of the similarity - it has to be the influence that the UFO:AI project has had on me.  ;D ;D :D

http://wiki.creativecommons.org/File:Return_Journey_r02.ogg

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 11:30:30 pm »
Perfect man, I am very happy to read that you are motivated (as I am also) !!!  ;)

Do not misunderstand me, you do not have to write a opera for just one level, better make more tunes, but I think it should be no problem to combine a track with long ambient & creepy phases, like many of the great tracks in trunk already do, to avoid repetition a little bit & also calm down atmosphere again after the 'climax' of the track is reached, you know what I mean ;)

Maybe there should some upgrades made to the musicsystem as a whole, many ideas have already been voiced regarding this in this forum, IMHO we should start a fresh discussion regarding this, but this has not a very high priority @ the moment...

Okay, now I am going to listen to the latest version...  ;)

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 12:03:11 am »
My comment:
 :D
Really nice, especially the melody, please add a little more variation to the drums, they loop almost through the whole track with only one break & almost no variation, maybe you should do some experiments with the hi-hats here...

The melody & ambient sounds in the background are 100% perfect IMHO (just a bit too short ;))

If it helps to motivate: I already wrote a patch tracker item concerning this also ;)

Sebastian Ahlen's 'Deep Blue Sea' from trunk is a perfect example for nice drums & breaks IMHO...
The Psymong tracks from trunk are perfect examples for creating atmosphere with sound, these are great IMHO...
Also check out the stuff from Manuel 'Vanethian' Marino in trunk...
Just for your inspiration...

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 12:30:10 am »
Mattn also added this one already, although I feel we will get a even nicer version of that tomorrow  ;)

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 12:37:58 am »
That latest one is very nice, and I love that piano. But as MCR pointed out, it's a bit monotonous. You could add a little variation. Both in the drums and in the melody. Like at that short break 1:48-2:12 put that piano again, with maybe a little more notes or such. And after that break you could put a little variation into the lead instrument (what is it called?)

Very good work nonetheless!

Offline Gren

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 12:42:01 am »
Mattn also added this one already, although I feel we will get a even nicer version of that tomorrow  ;)

Yep - I think you will  ;D ;D ;D

I'll have a good look at your suggestions - especially the Drum tracks. They are not processed by a drum machine - I had to do them by hand and I wasn't 100% happy with the result after all that.   >:( If I spend a little extra time on them, they will be much better.

Thank you again for the input MCR!!  ;D ;D

Offline Gren

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 12:51:03 am »
That latest one is very nice, and I love that piano. But as MCR pointed out, it's a bit monotonous. You could add a little variation. Both in the drums and in the melody. Like at that short break 1:48-2:12 put that piano again, with maybe a little more notes or such. And after that break you could put a little variation into the lead instrument (what is it called?)

Very good work nonetheless!

Thank you  :) :D

I'm about to re-visit the format to produce a longer, better version (as you have probably seen posted already) I'm pleased you like the Grand Piano track. It was just a raw Old Grand voice sample, without any effects or processing, and I thought it sounded pretty good..  seeing as I just added it for you, do you think I should keep the piano track in there for the revised version?

The solo instrument is just a Sustain guitar, through the chorus processor, with a little reverb and I applied some pitch-bending as I played... It came out kinda nice  ;D

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 01:04:42 am »
I think you should definitely keep the piano in there, maybe also adding effects to it too. It could very well turn out to be great.

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 01:09:05 am »
If I spend a little extra time on them, they will be much better.
I am sure about that already ;)