project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: The spread of the virus: spatial distribution  (Read 2342 times)

Offline Viento

• Rookie
    • View Profile
The spread of the virus: spatial distribution
« on: November 05, 2009, 10:26:15 am »
Hiho!

I did a bit of research during my geography studies on the way a virus spreads from one place to another. I don't know whether the (quite simple) patterns are suitable to depict the course of the pandemic in the game or whether there are already some different solutions how the spatial distribution of the virus is dealt with.

(A simplified form of a) distribution theory of viral diseases says that there are basically 2 ways in which a virus distributes spatially:

a) it moves from large population center to other centers (center = large towns with lots of interaction, travel, exchange,...)
b) it expands from the centers to the surrounding area

Since we have large cities in the game (like terror attacks near big cities) it seems not impossible to use a realistic spreading pattern for this part of the story by making the virus "jump" from city to city and then expand (like a slowly expanding circle) around the cities.

In our case:

> The outbreak of the virus is most likely in a rural area (since most attack areas in the game are rural).
> The virus could be detected (or not)
> It moves to the next population centre
> It can be contained (or not)
> It moves to other population centers by means of air traffic, etc...
> It starts spreading from the centres into the surrounding countryside
> It is out of control (until vaccines, etc... are deployed)

This would provide lots of opportunities to follow the initial stages of the virus attack via research reports. And it would provide more "small steps" that the player can research and thus understand the whole story. Especially if the virus can be contained in a small region at first (and the player has different research project and solution strategies) the danger becomes obvious. 

> The outbreak of the virus is most likely in a rural area (since most attack areas in the game are rural).
> The virus could be detected (or not)
==> research program: WHO reports a new viral disease (= 1st sighing of the virus)
==> research: The virus ==> Enemy on Earth (you find out that it is not a normal virus)
==> research: theoretical counter measures (e.g. vaccine after missions in which infected are caught)

> It moves to the next population centre
==> research: containment strategies

> It can be contained (or not)
==> research: Solutions (the moral dilemma like shown in many movies: kill everybody to stop the spread?)

> It moves to other population centers by means of air traffic, etc...
==> research: Interdicting the center-center spread (air traffic limitations, health checks,....)
==> reserach: Census

> It starts spreading from the centres into the surrounding countryside
==> research: don't know, it should sound more desperate by adressing local levels thus hinting at chaotic situations. :)

> It is out of control (best depicted by WHO reports and the census)

> Vaccine becomes available (after long research, testing, some special missions...)

I think that perceiving this development might put the player into a situation in which the real danger becomes very obvious.  

Keep up the great work. :)

Andy - who will start a new game today. Muahaha! =)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 10:42:35 am by Viento »

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Re: The spread of the virus: spatial distribution
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 10:48:29 am »
any help is welcome here ;)

Offline Viento

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 11:30:40 am »
The only things I can offer is (since I'm not a coder, mapper, etc...):

I could design a detailed and tense storyline around the theme of the virus and its spread.
I could write the necessary research proposals and reports as well as any WHO/UN reports needed to carry the story on in English (I teach it) and German (my native language).

But that's... basically... it. :)

If someone tells me about the already fixed parts of the storyline (is it written down somewhere?), I could add more detail and suspension to this part. :)

Andy

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 12:08:15 pm »
the storyline for the main campaign is already... - let's call it done (some parts are still missing - ask Winter and BTAxis).

the story is written in the wiki - see the translation->List of msgids article. Almost everything is written there.