project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: UFO:AI needs you. Yes, you.  (Read 46614 times)

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
Re: UFO:AI needs you. Yes, you.
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2010, 12:00:21 am »
Golgi,
if you're both a talented artist and a trained musician, I' suggest you should focus on modelling.
Afaik we don't have a particular lack of music. We have a lot of completely missing models though.

So use your free time to create models. You can use the remaining time to create music, though ;)

Offline dfscott

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2010, 03:57:52 am »
I noticed this thread appears to be pre-2.3.  Is mapping help still needed?  I'm a coder, but I'm a java guy, not C, so I'm probably not the best person to code.  I'm not an artist, but if some mechanical grunt-work is needed, I can certainly do that.

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2010, 04:11:38 am »
I noticed this thread appears to be pre-2.3.  Is mapping help still needed?  I'm a coder, but I'm a java guy, not C, so I'm probably not the best person to code.  I'm not an artist, but if some mechanical grunt-work is needed, I can certainly do that.

Yes, we could certainly still use your help.  I've been out for about a week or so, and am still trying to catch up on things, but one of the other admins can certainly tell you what maps we need.

I'd suggest getting familiar with UFORadiant, our custom map-editor.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2010, 01:20:03 pm »
Hey dfscott. If it's mapping you want to do, start here. Post in the mapping forum if you have any questions. Mapping is a recurring need, and at this moment there aren't many people doing it.

Offline dfscott

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2010, 05:28:57 pm »
Hey dfscott. If it's mapping you want to do, start here. Post in the mapping forum if you have any questions. Mapping is a recurring need, and at this moment there aren't many people doing it.

Ok, cool -- I've already started playing with UFORadiant so I'll start there.  Thanks!

Offline Tadasu

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2010, 01:31:35 am »
Alright say I wanted to start contributing what would be the most useful place to start for someone who has no real experience with this sort of stuff?

Offline Thrashard96

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2010, 09:27:41 am »
Reply to topic name: Me?

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2010, 12:25:22 pm »
Alright say I wanted to start contributing what would be the most useful place to start for someone who has no real experience with this sort of stuff?
'say I wanted to...'
'what would be'

I am not sure if you really like to help  ;), but I would maybe suggest starting reading the first page of this thread, if you say you might eventually want to help, you could maybe under circumstances...

;)

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2010, 12:13:58 am »
Reply to topic name: Me?
Yes, YOU ! ;)

Offline Thrashard96

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2010, 09:00:19 am »
LOL ;D How can i help if i'm only a modder and game memory address finder (one-fourth cheater, one-eighth memory hacker, three-eighths lamer/loser, one-eighth fair player and one-eighth debugger - i report things to geever)...
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 06:01:54 pm by PAUL1UZ5 »

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2010, 12:26:58 am »
@PAUL1UZ5:
If you are skilled enough to figure out memory addresses for cheats, you are surely skilled enough to do *qualified* testing and reporting.
Sorry, I never cared about finding cheats. So... stupid question: does finding memory addresses involve reading the source code ?

Offline Thrashard96

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2010, 06:00:16 pm »
@PAUL1UZ5:
If you are skilled enough to figure out memory addresses for cheats, you are surely skilled enough to do *qualified* testing and reporting.
Sorry, I never cared about finding cheats. So... stupid question: does finding memory addresses involve reading the source code ?

Kind of, it is possible for anything if you know what you're doing, but flash/executable game (with HP/Turn Unit/Money data seen) modifying is way too easy, i'd prefer if devs might increase the data security like eax (ebx/ecx/edx/other) +x or something like that. The data is too exposed to cheaters otherwise!

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2010, 11:53:30 pm »
That's what I meant when I said *qualified testing*. Some who tests AND at least roughly understands the source code has a much better chance to make bugs reproducable or test the limitations of the code. I hope you go for it ;)

btw I don't understand your point of protecting the exe of an OSS program at runtime !? Anybody can change the code to "don't hurt my soldiers" or "gimme twice the money". Actually, most of the code for cheating is already there for the debug version. If you want to cheat, you merely need to enable the debug cvars for the release version. Or play the the debug version.

Offline Thrashard96

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2010, 08:45:13 am »
btw I don't understand your point of protecting the exe of an OSS program at runtime !? Anybody can change the code to "don't hurt my soldiers" or "gimme twice the money". Actually, most of the code for cheating is already there for the debug version. If you want to cheat, you merely need to enable the debug cvars for the release version. Or play the the debug version.

So cheaters only play debug version? And about the stable version: code offsets are better in protection, when it is about +/-100 or something, when cheater must REALLY read the whole code TWICE to be safe with cheating and not crash the game with the wrong code, because it is without any offsets right now, so you can find what you want on second scan!

Offline Precisionist

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2010, 11:49:38 am »
Ok, I am not a programmer of any sort, however I have done some writing at an amateur level.  I've done a lot of writing for my own personal RPG gaming, as well as contributed to some fan fiction sites for MMORPGs (links provided upon request).

I am currently playing 2.3, and have noticed there are some missing descriptions for some of the later aircraft.  Is this something you are looking for contributions for, or is the focus now on the 2.4 version?

As a huge fan of the X-Coms, and put a good part of my free time in playing those, I'd be willing to help out with this project, if my limited skillsets should allow.