project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: UFO:AI needs you. Yes, you.  (Read 46593 times)

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: UFO:AI needs you. Yes, you.
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2010, 11:04:50 am »
Valaska, post if you have any difficulties getting adjusted to UFOAI's mapping, and we'll be glad to help. Could definitely use some more work.

Offline Encha

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2010, 02:41:27 pm »
well that does look really simple to use.

i just browsed over the map edit myself. to curious to its looks.

compared to Maya, or  Unreal 3 Editor. it looks piss easy.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2010, 02:53:49 pm »
well that does look really simple to use.

i just browsed over the map edit myself. to curious to its looks.

compared to Maya, or  Unreal 3 Editor. it looks piss easy.

maybe you find the mood besides the work to create a map or some prefabs for us if you find it that easy ;)

Offline Encha

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2010, 03:52:16 pm »
if i manage to find some spare time. i'll make you a few zones / maps :)

which do you think looks harder to use.

the editor you use or the one i have to use?

top picture the Doom Editor.  im guessing that's what it is.

and bottom the Unreal3 Editor, with a sample map im in middle of producing.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 04:01:54 pm by Encha »

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2010, 04:18:51 pm »
@Encha:

You have to use the correct editor to make maps for UFO:AI & that is UFORadiant. Read the wiki article about UFO:AI mapping !

Here  :o:
http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/Mapping

Here you can download UFORadiant:
http://mattn.ninex.info/download/uforadiant-1.5-win32-r28750.exe

So if you really wanna help...

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2010, 04:23:05 pm »
hehe - i really think he knows that  ;)

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2010, 04:26:23 pm »
which do you think looks harder to use.

the editor you use or the one i have to use?

Since you know what you're doing, you also know that's kind of a silly point to make. Though they can take more time to get up to speed, more robust editors allow you to construct more complex shapes faster and easier.

Map shot looks good! I hope you'll give UFOAI mapping some attention. It may not have all the capabilities you could dream of, but it's got its own charms. There is plenty of game-critical content needed and many of the existing maps are out of date for what the engine is capable of, so there's an opportunity to make a big impact with mapping.

You're of course free to do as you like, but you could take a look at the city RMA (random map assembly) I'm slowly developing. Right now I've just got a street grid and am working on a parking garage, but because it's so modular if you create a building according to the dimensions we can plop it right in.

Offline Encha

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2010, 05:00:33 pm »
@Encha:

You have to use the correct editor to make maps for UFO:AI & that is UFORadiant. Read the wiki article about UFO:AI mapping !

Here  :o:
http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/Mapping

Here you can download UFORadiant:
http://mattn.ninex.info/download/uforadiant-1.5-win32-r28750.exe

So if you really wanna help...

so i'm guessing it's not the editor you supplied with the game then?

but it's simlar to it. by a .5 margin in the versions.

and yes Mattn. i did know.

H-hour - thanks on the shot feedback. just something i made in few hours. i havent really put any work into it in like a month or two. been to busy.

and youre City RMA Looks really nice good job.

Offline Silversnow

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2010, 06:00:24 am »
You're of course free to do as you like, but you could take a look at the city RMA (random map assembly) I'm slowly developing. Right now I've just got a street grid and am working on a parking garage, but because it's so modular if you create a building according to the dimensions we can plop it right in.
Neat!  That sure helps to add variety, but please make sure you have included a way to avoid placing building without access roads, or streets that begin & end without going nowhere!   :D
It can be a downer on the reality slider.

Actually, it reminds me of an XCOM map I once ended up in a terror mission, it only had two rods going the full screen...
Chrysalid turkey shoot on the highway!   ;D

Apocalypse

« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2010, 11:34:03 am »
Hurry up with the next stable release so i can start helping out. I've been waiting for ages to get into this, as i can't be bothered jumping into the middle of a dev version. AI requires a stable build asap to attract dev attention.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2010, 12:29:26 pm »
I think that helping out almost inevitably involves getting the dev version. Even if we did release a stable now, we'd move on ahead with the development branch right away. The stable would then probably get another update or two for bugfixes, but all real development would still be confined to the development branch. It would be pointless to develop based on the stable version, since it would quickly be outdated.

Apocalypse

« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2010, 01:48:48 pm »
I think that helping out almost inevitably involves getting the dev version. Even if we did release a stable now, we'd move on ahead with the development branch right away. The stable would then probably get another update or two for bugfixes, but all real development would still be confined to the development branch. It would be pointless to develop based on the stable version, since it would quickly be outdated.

Dev builds don't attract new potential devs as well as a full stable release however. The game needs exposure more than features at the moment.

Offline golgi76

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2010, 12:29:20 pm »
Hey folks!
I am amazed I haven't found out about this before now. I am  HUGE fan of the original XCOM:Ufo Defense on playstation, it was the first game I ever played that captivated me and took over my free time. As it stands, I have been a WoW player for almost 5 years, but with 7 80's and 2 years hardcore raiding experience, I have had my fill of Warcraft for the time being. That being said, I would love to contribute to this endeavor any way I can. I downloaded Radiant, and will start working on maps this week. I am also a 28 year musician, having trained violin for 10 years, from 5-15, and taught myself a host of instruments since. I'm new to this site, but I will try and find the links to the music dev pages and whatnot. Any guidance that can be provided would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to hearing from you soon =)

Golgi

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2010, 02:40:05 pm »
Music-wise, I've been told that the von* songs are considered by the devs to be the game's main style/theme. In particular, the song that plays when the game is loading (which is von_theme.ogg I believe).

Offline golgi76

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2010, 08:41:44 pm »
Cool, thanks. I'll see what I can come up with.