project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: UFO:AI needs you. Yes, you.  (Read 46596 times)

Offline Legendman3

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: UFO:AI needs you. Yes, you.
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2010, 12:52:43 pm »
Dude im only 14 so i dont think i can do much but ill give it a whirl.

Offline Encha

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2010, 01:10:06 pm »
in any day and age where computers and games are involved age.. means Bugger all.

it's self determination, a dream..  dedication to learn something new and improve on it.

and experience.

way i got my level design job wasnt through grades or degreee's.  to be honest my grades suck.
but they set me on based on my learning curve is easyer, faster. and i'm determined to learn and improve on what i do. and i kinda got some previous experience with world building. so that was a plus.

but dont let age get you. Age isnt everything. its the experience and know how that does it.

it wouldnt matter if you were 8 or 78, if youve never done something before and wanted to give it a try. and did good at it.  they would use it. simple as :)

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2010, 09:35:51 pm »
Also...your age will increase steadily as you go ;)
btw how old was Bill Gates when he started his garage business ?

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2010, 09:41:22 pm »
One more thing:
Imho it's remarkable that a young guy like you is interested in such an 'oldfashioned' game.
Seems like you're more adult than one would guess from your age...

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2010, 09:43:06 pm »
btw how old was Bill Gates when he started his garage business ?
Although this 'garage business' story reminds me of a nice fairy tale, Duke... ;)

Offline Legendman3

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2010, 11:17:58 pm »
Yah so im young and like dos games and such. New games like MW2 and CoD: WaW and MAG bore me after maybe 3 days(BC2 is the only modern game i like). Also whats imho stand for, and I have the Unreal 3 UDK and its cool but the most complex game maker ive ever layed hands on. Ive gone from Source SDK for half life 2 to Blender and been able to make some maps with those but Unreal just is confusing. Oh and Bill gates was 20 when he started. Im what you call between gifted and a genius.  ;D

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2010, 11:57:13 pm »
Bill Gates was 20 when he founded the Micro$oft Corporation.
He was 14 when he founded Traf-O-Data.

Offline Legendman3

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2010, 12:08:19 am »
Whats Imho mean? its funny im american and almost all admins are european/russian/other so i have to wait six hours for a response

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2010, 12:35:49 am »
Whats Imho mean? its funny im american and almost all admins are european/russian/other so i have to wait six hours for a response

http://www.acronymfinder.com/Slang/IMHO.html

I believe the first of these five (from the link) is the most commonly accepted definition.

Offline Encha

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2010, 01:28:36 am »
i've always Wondered myself. but never cared to ask... alot of my mates on WoW say it.

Offline RCO

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
this is bullcrap!
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2010, 10:27:41 pm »
   I want my 15 bucks back. The guy wearing the black coat in the dark alley sold this game for me for 15 bucks. apparently everyone else got it for cheap. So since i paid more for my copy, I'm just going to sit here and read the forum, and not contribute anything.

Offline Legendman3

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: this is bullcrap!
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2010, 10:40:23 pm »
   I want my 15 bucks back. The guy wearing the black coat in the dark alley sold this game for me for 15 bucks. apparently everyone else got it for cheap. So since i paid more for my copy, I'm just going to sit here and read the forum, and not contribute anything.

The game is free and its awesome so you got ripped off HAHAHAHAHAAHAH!!!  But seriously if you ever find the guy kick his nuts

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2010, 11:01:44 pm »
Unfortunately such practice isn't necessarily illegal (with GPL).  It is still a con, you still got swindled, but depending on how the sale was done it might not be illegal.

...And yes, if you do run into him again, go ahead and use selected parts of him to test a plasma rifle...

Offline Valaska

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2010, 09:46:54 am »
In a FOSS project there are two kinds of people, those who contribute and those who don't. Not to imply that those who don't are in any way unimportant, but those who do are much more useful to the project. To those who are eager to see a new release, I suggest you get involved in contributing game content. There is a lot of things people can do, arguably the easiest being mapping. While not everything will actually speed up the next release, working on the game will at least keep you occupied.

I used to make maps for my league bag on MW4 for training/campaign like situations online, I'd be interested in mapping.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2010, 09:51:45 am »
I used to make maps for my league bag on MW4 for training/campaign like situations online, I'd be interested in mapping.

thanks nice - you can handle GTKRadiant of the quake series already? Then UFORadiant will be nothing new for you. See http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/Mapping as a starting point. You can create new maps, create new tiles for random map assemblies or add details to existing maps. Whatever you like. The maps in trunk could almost all need some more love of a mapper.