project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Improved 3D Geoscape Rendering [was: Nightime city lights in 3D geoscape]  (Read 71270 times)

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
It does not.

Offline arisian

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Kildor: if you could provide a save with XVI active, that would be helpful.

In terms of topographic rendering, I had been going more for the "classroom globe" look than "earth from space."  Changing the ocean bumpmap is easy enough; we can tone down the amount of topographic depth for the land as well, if people want more realism.  I'd like to introduce clouds/weather systems eventually, but that's likely to be a fairly complex and involved project, and I'm not sure how feasible it is at the moment.

There are no oceanic missions right now anyway, so the ocean rendering is purely aesthetic.  On land, mountains/plains generate different battlescape maps, so there is an actual gameplay effect.

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
Ok, I`ll share it tomorrow.

Offline arisian

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Just a quick update; I've solved the cursor bug, and improved the efficiency.  It's still not "finished," but I'm making good progress.  Here are some screenshots from the latest version.

Offline Legendman3

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
How far along are we to finding out what happened to night and day in 2.3? (r29004 and up that is)

Offline arisian

• Rookie
    • View Profile
I'm not certain which day/night issue you're referring to, but I'm pretty sure that they're all fixed in my personal latest version.  However, there are some other things that need to be dealt with before I'm ready to release this version.  I'm sorry that the current svn version isn't working for you, but it is the unstable branch ;)  All will be fixed in time, I promise.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Looking nice so far. Hope you'll have it commit ready soon.

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
Man, that looks so sweet. I love it already. Pushing the geoscape into 2084  ;D !
Also hope that you are ready soon.  ;)

Offline Legendman3

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
What i meant was it is either day or night on my game when i finish a mission depending on the time but will stay that way till the next mission. Help much?

Offline arisian

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Actually, that is helpful; I haven't really tried playing the game with the new features yet, since I've been too busy coding them.  I haven't played much with going back and forth between the new geoscape and the battlescape, so I'll definitely give it a look.  As long as I can replicate the problem, I'm sure I can fix it.

Offline arisian

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Also, for those who are saying we can't include high-res textures because old systems can't handle them, I have to admit I'm kind of confused.  The game already includes an option in the "graphics" menu that lets you pick what you want to cap the maximum texture resolution at; if you're having problems with high res textures, can't you just force the game to use scaled down versions?  The original data file size has nothing to do with the size of the texture in system/graphics memory, which is controlled entirely by the resolution of the image, so how big the files are on disk is really only relevant when you're downloading them.  Is there something about this that I'm missunderstanding?  Because I just don't get the "large textures won't work on older systems" thing.

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
Ok, here is a savegame with XVI actived.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Also, for those who are saying we can't include high-res textures because old systems can't handle them, I have to admit I'm kind of confused.  The game already includes an option in the "graphics" menu that lets you pick what you want to cap the maximum texture resolution at; if you're having problems with high res textures, can't you just force the game to use scaled down versions?  The original data file size has nothing to do with the size of the texture in system/graphics memory, which is controlled entirely by the resolution of the image, so how big the files are on disk is really only relevant when you're downloading them.  Is there something about this that I'm missunderstanding?  Because I just don't get the "large textures won't work on older systems" thing.

no, it's not about "they won't work" - it's about "loading them will take ages".

Offline Muton

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
> it's about "loading them will take ages".

There is always a price to pay

Its the same as the "black models" problem
Default setting med res textures
If you select high res you need to wait or a SSD

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
even if you select low res the image has to be scaled down - which can take ages already (though i haven't done any tests on this). ;)