project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Best freeware md2 & obj model viewer without texture problems for WinXP needed !  (Read 7702 times)

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 10:40:03 am by MCR »

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
g3dviewer

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
Thanx, Mattn, I somehow missed this answer. ;)
Will try.

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
Maybe I forgot to mention, that I am running Windoof XPSP3 32 bit & I am not sure if I get this thingy running here  >:(

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
One of the demo projects for the Irrlicht 3D engine SDK (also on sourceforge) includes a universal model viewer that's just a little spartan, but loads and displays almost any 3D model type, has controls for rotation and animation control, etc.  The SDK includes already-compiled Win32 binaries for all of it's examples.

I wouldn't call it the "best" viewer, but for most testing it works.

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
Thanx 4 the answer, because I've already tried many of the free ones, but with many of them you have big problems regarding the textures not being displayed correctly. Does this one work with the original UFO:AI md2 & obj models & their textures ?

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
Thanx 4 the answer, because I've already tried many of the free ones, but with many of them you have big problems regarding the textures not being displayed correctly. Does this one work with the original UFO:AI md2 & obj models & their textures ?

I don't know off-hand and I don't have time right now to test, but you can grab a .zip of the SDK from the download page:

http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/downloads.html
(First link, for 1.7.1)

and un-zip it then open up bin/Win32-VisualStudio/09.MeshViewer.exe and use the utility's file browser to load a mesh then a texture.  Note that not all the buttons do something, the utility is actually a coding example meant to demonstrate how the engine can load models and display a GUI, not to be a full-blown model editor.  Still, its good for some quick-and-dirty tests.

There's also Blender, but if you don't know your way around Blender than you're looking at a large, steep uphill learning curve that will take some time to get over before doing something even relatively simple.

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
Thanx Destructavator !
This is exactly what I need: Quick & Dirty, but with correct textures ;)
Will try that one, Blender is installed but I remember I had some troubles with the md2 & obj importer there also...
I used the one integrated in UFORadiant, but many models have a weird texturestyle, so...
This has no hurry as I have many other things regarding UFO to do @ the moment, but I will look @ it later...

Offline Encha

• Rookie
    • View Profile
well theres always

blender Get Blender Here

Gmax from TurboSquid.com Link

trueSpace7.6 Link

3d Canvas they do offer a free version or pay ones

AC3D - not free but cheaper than those below... Link

3dmlw - not sure about this one. just browsing for editors and suchLink

4dBlue Link

Artist3d - Link

Aztec 3D Modeller Beta Sourceforge.net Link

Behemot Editor - Link

DeleD 3DLink

DeleD is a 3D modeler designed to help you create content for your game project, whether you're a professional or indy game developer. Other areas in which you can put DeleD to good use are, for example, educational services, webdesign, prototyping and image creation.

DeleD focusses on five areas to provide in your daily modeling needs. These are:

* Geometry Editing: DeleD has lots of tools to modify 3D objects, including Smoothing and Boolean Operators
    * Animation: DeleD provides a basic animation system allowing you to create animated objects in no-time
    * UV Mapping: DeleD has a build-in UV editor, enabling you to skin your objects in detail
    * Lightmapping: DeleD lights up your world with advanced lightmapping functions
    * Raytracing: DeleD can create stunning pictures with its build-in raytracer

In addition to that, DeleD has great support for commonly used fileformats / game engines + we'll add yours if wanted!
So whatever pipeline you're using, DeleD fits in perfectly. And as if that isn't enough already, DeleD comes with hundreds of professional textures and prefabricated 3D models.

DeleD is easy enough to be used by novice modelers yet also powerful enough to be the choice tool of veteran modelers.

then you could always BT some ones... instead of paying thousands for them..
but these are all at proffessional Stanadards. heck some Movies are made with these as well as a few games....

3DS Max Link

Maya Link

Mudbox Link

Soft Image Link

Offline Legendman3

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Let me guess your favorite is DeleD 3D

Offline Encha

• Rookie
    • View Profile
no no. i just chose to give info about that one rather than all of them.

my personal favourite would be

3DS Max and Maya. as i have licenses for both. :D