project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: alien campaign / multiplayer campaigns  (Read 3807 times)

Offline poida

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
alien campaign / multiplayer campaigns
« on: July 01, 2010, 01:58:53 pm »
There have been a few older posts about multiplayer campaign mode. I think it would be awesome! In my head it kind of went something like this:

1. Multiplayer server starts off at year 1 (2088 or whatever it is)
2. When a client joins they can join either aliens/humans
3. When controlling aliens you start off at the mothership and your goal is to say build your alien mother base
4. When controlling humans your goal is to find and wipe out the mothership
5. All humans share resources with each other, same for aliens
6. Soldier/Alien allocation per month would be determined by number of team members
7. You'd also need some way of limiting/distributing the number of craft everyone had, or you just leave it up to cash?
8. Aliens would need to fit out their space ship, maybe their base could mean a ship in orbit or something.
9. Alien research could involve experimenting on captured people.
10. When you logon/logoff you could bring/save some personnel that have improved as you've played.
11. the phalanxs ships would need to be able to go into space to find the mothership

I wasn't quite sure how you'd sync battlescape with geoscape in this sort of setup,
  but it would be cool if there could be more than one battle going on at the same time, as well as geoscape fighting / base building
  also cool if part-way through a battle another dropship/ufo could land as re-enforcements. They would need to be launched and controlled by another human. Say each human can control at most one drop ship and each alien can control at most one landing craft.

I know this is idea is a little far fetched given time-resources, but I think a reality good starting place would be a campaign where you can play as aliens. How difficult would that be?

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: alien campaign / multiplayer campaigns
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 04:41:48 pm »
There have been a few older posts about multiplayer campaign mode. I think it would be awesome! In my head it kind of went something like this:

What you dream about here is a completely different game, sorry. I see no way it could be implemented.

-geever

Offline DiDiT

• Squad Leader
  • Your local Flame-thrower wielding Furry.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 07:10:58 pm »
dat true...

but, geever, what about a multi-player tournament with a back-story? is that doable? That would -basically- be what poida is asking for, wouldn't it?

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 07:30:26 am »
of course this is doable - we just need someone doing it :D

Offline DiDiT

• Squad Leader
  • Your local Flame-thrower wielding Furry.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 08:56:12 pm »
well... I could do it...

but I'm just a shy little furry, and thus, as much as I would like to help, I'm too shy too. *nods*

Offline poida

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 05:10:07 pm »
I must admit, I don't really know how multiplayer works, but is it true that only one person can be moving at the same time? What about as a means enabling scale-up of multiplay (4 vs 4, 8 vs 8, 20 vs 1 base defense :) ):
* players can be grouped into teams (Phalanx vs civilians vs Aliens)
* you can perform actions at the same time as your team mates (i have been led to believe this would mean messing a bit with the game engine?)
* the former would probably require in game voice chat You'd probably want to tell your team mates you are going to launch a rocket into the door-way before their soldiers cop it in the back of the head!
* enable round time limit (I think this may be in the code already?)

This way, there's only going to be maybe three sides at once alien-civilian-human, civilian would be ai and quick, most you'd have to wait is the round limit. You could even experiment with different combinations of control: 1 dropship with 8 soldiers, 4 players each controlling 2 soldiers etc. all agreed to and setup pre-launch.

Alien campaign musings:
2 player alien (A1 & A2), 2 player human example (H1 & H2)

A1 wants to launch a terror mission to go get some people from earth
A2 wants in too, they only have the one ufo available at the time so A2's squad boards A1's ufo (they could split half/half depending on capacity of ufo)
A1 launches to a spot on the geoscape, negiates with A2 where they thing a good spot for the mission would be, say Tokyo
H1 & H2 notice the ufo on radar and move to intercept, they only have the one intercepter and two drop ships
H1 takes the interceptor
H2 takes the dropship
A1 makes it to land
A1 & A2 launch into battlescape
H2 is close by, while A1 & A2 start to round up/shoot civilians
H2 makes it to the site of the mission and launches in, A1/A2 see the earth shake and the drop-ship land
H1 takes the interceptor back to base to pick up the second drop ship
H1 then heads back to the mission
A1/A2/H2 are engaged in battlescape combat
Alien turn then human turn, 2min limit
H1 arrives at the mission and launches in, A1/A2/H2 see the landing etc
A1/A2/H1/H2 are now engaged in battlescape combat
A1 moves into ambush position, A2 goes for the civilians
H1 & H2 prepare for launch (would be cool that when the dropship arrives it's not automatically on the ground but needs to come down say from height 10 subject to the same turn/TU restrictions, the player would be able to scan for aliens, or even target and fire dropship weapons, aliens would need to hide or have an alien inside the ufo to return fire)

when someone loses all their squad they could keep spectating or go back to their base. They'll need to re-hire a squad (or give their existing squad a penalty? so the squad is persistant/"theirs".

A battlescape win could be:
* kill/capture all enemies
* alien makes escape with civilian
etc...

Offline EaglePryde

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 12:29:32 pm »
Hi there  ;D

A multiplayer kampagne would be nice. Something like Human vs. Alien player or co-op against the other side. Atleast for 2 players.

The Co-op part would be easier i suppose. Let the other human/s rush to the attacker/defenders help and split the maximum usable humans on a map onto the players comming to help. Or if a player is allready fighting with the maximum number of units and you join the fight at a later progress, you'll be some kind of backup if units die...or something like this. Or we could limit the maximum amount of units we take with us to have space if another player wants to join the fight with some of his units. Spwan point for new arriving units could be near the inital dropship, so the maps wouldn't have to be modified.

EDIT:

In another Thread there was also the discussion about the timeflow in geoscape problem. That's not a problem. You just take the slowest setting of a player for actuall timeflow. Every player could set it and for neighter one it would be to fast. And if made ideal a player should see what setting another player has.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 05:07:28 pm by EaglePryde »