project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: When will be the next release?  (Read 33044 times)

Offline Battlescared

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: When will be the next release?
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2010, 11:50:17 pm »
Rather than only waiting, it often is better to point out which things can be improved. Even if these are only little things.

Nope, point out things that are broken.  Things that can be improved should go on the backburner for the next release, or else requirements creep will prevent it from ever being done.  I know what you mean, just pointing out that things need to bound in order to complete.

And I think there is a good point that those of us who are waiting as freeloaders (I know we don't really rate as customers) just want to let the devs know their work is appreciated and there are people waiting for them to finish, as politely as we can.  It's hard to feel motivated on something that you think no one cares about, and we do!

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2010, 02:28:19 pm »
If you want to help speed up the next release, take a look here  ;):

Want to add here that even people without almost any experience regarding computers could help:

Take a walk, enjoy the nature & record some interesting sounds for UFO:AI with your mp3 player:
http://ufoai.ninex.info/forum/index.php?topic=3580.msg26141#msg26141

SCREAM INTO A MICROPHONE (yes, as simple as that  ;)):
http://ufoai.ninex.info/forum/index.php?topic=1527.msg34776#msg34776

Use your synthesizer & record some cool sounds:
http://ufoai.ninex.info/forum/index.php?topic=1546.msg8092#msg8092

Again I can only tell you to take a walk & enjoy the niceness of spring, this time using different terrain & with finding a method to get good samples of yourself walking, running & jumping around (Do not forget to document your records  ;)):
http://ufoai.ninex.info/forum/index.php?topic=1727.msg9343#msg9343

Or if you are rather the destructive type of person  :D:
http://ufoai.ninex.info/forum/index.php?topic=3617.msg26545#msg26545

Or maybe you are the creative person, you can send sketches & drawings also, there is always a way to integrate cool looking & theme-fitting stuff:
http://ufoai.ninex.info/forum/index.php?topic=2890.msg19572#msg19572

Here you can find very simple tasks, designed for those of you, who do not have much time, but still feel the need to help making this project better:
http://ufoai.ninex.info/forum/index.php?topic=4665.msg36393#msg36393

You want 2.3 out ?! - go give yourself a kick & do something productive  ;)

... or wait & stay a passive spectator ::).
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 06:38:43 pm by MCR »

Offline freegamer

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2010, 03:11:00 pm »
Have you considered doing a beta/preview release?  Or, if the word beta is a bit strong, just call it a release candidate.  Will help get some early feedback on the any immediate problems, alleviate pressure from people who want a new release, as well as make the final release a bit better by helping focus on the issues that will affect players the most.

It'll also help generate more publicity.  Multiple releases make more noise than a single release. ;)

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2010, 03:31:28 pm »
Have you considered doing a beta/preview release?  Or, if the word beta is a bit strong, just call it a release candidate.  Will help get some early feedback on the any immediate problems, alleviate pressure from people who want a new release, as well as make the final release a bit better by helping focus on the issues that will affect players the most.

http://ufoai.ninex.info/forum/index.php?topic=2830.msg35608#msg35608

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2010, 03:34:41 pm »
Have you considered doing a beta/preview release?  Or, if the word beta is a bit strong, just call it a release candidate.  Will help get some early feedback on the any immediate problems, alleviate pressure from people who want a new release, as well as make the final release a bit better by helping focus on the issues that will affect players the most.

It'll also help generate more publicity.  Multiple releases make more noise than a single release. ;)

Our stable releases are beta releases the final one will be far ahead in time. Release candidate would mean we don't change anything but polishing. Anyway we have those builds you're asking for - by contributors -see the sticky topic in win forum.

-geever

Offline freegamer

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2010, 06:00:08 pm »
Our stable releases are beta releases the final one will be far ahead in time. Release candidate would mean we don't change anything but polishing. Anyway we have those builds you're asking for - by contributors -see the sticky topic in win forum.

-geever
You're being ideological.  Making minor changes to a -rc is fine, as is adding a bit more (i.e. the -rc being slightly incomplete).  I mean, the most famous open source project, Linux, that uses -rc to shape the final release, not to just polish it.  (Usually each 2.6.X release goes through 7-9 rc releases.)

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2010, 04:44:23 am »
Different projects, both open-source and otherwise, are organized in different ways, including how releases are planned and named.  Heck, I've seen a number of different systems just for version numbers alone, some of them which seem to make more sense than others...

Offline tetrahedral

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2010, 09:19:06 pm »
You know, this is just me coming from a psychological standpoint, but what if it was easier to download & compile whatever the current dev version is, play through it & submit bug reports?  I mean I'm not saying it's physically hard to do as it is now, but I know I had to do some digging to figure out everything (and I'm still not 100% sure how to do it).

I could see how you would want to keep the general public away from a ridiculously-buggy, nigh-unplayable early alpha or beta, but as we get closer & closer to release for 2.3, it's pretty stable & polished, and again, from a psychological standpoint, I'd be more motivated to find ways to contribute if it were easier for me to set up & run new versions as they came out. (And coupled w/ BTAxis's kickass contribution sticky & MCR's awesome follow up on how to contribute, I think this might kick contributions into high gear.)

Again, I'm still working on figuring out how to dl/install dev versions, but--

• Would it involve a ton of extra time & effort to write a UFO:AI frontend with options to launch the current installed version, download the newest version, and maybe a button to take you to the bug reporting forums?
  • What about reserving some space right on the front page for getting people set up w/ the latest dev version, instructions on how to contribute material, report bugs, etc.?
  • Maybe it might also be helpful if everybody already contributing were to record demos while they work?  i.e. while you're building a map in UFOradiant, flipping on a recording program & making a little video to get new people up to speed on the UI, program features, etc.

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2010, 10:59:01 pm »
You know, this is just me coming from a psychological standpoint, but what if it was easier to download & compile whatever the current dev version is, play through it & submit bug reports?  I mean I'm not saying it's physically hard to do as it is now, but I know I had to do some digging to figure out everything (and I'm still not 100% sure how to do it).

I could see how you would want to keep the general public away from a ridiculously-buggy, nigh-unplayable early alpha or beta, but as we get closer & closer to release for 2.3, it's pretty stable & polished, and again, from a psychological standpoint, I'd be more motivated to find ways to contribute if it were easier for me to set up & run new versions as they came out. (And coupled w/ BTAxis's kickass contribution sticky & MCR's awesome follow up on how to contribute, I think this might kick contributions into high gear.)

Again, I'm still working on figuring out how to dl/install dev versions, but--

• Would it involve a ton of extra time & effort to write a UFO:AI frontend with options to launch the current installed version, download the newest version, and maybe a button to take you to the bug reporting forums?
  • What about reserving some space right on the front page for getting people set up w/ the latest dev version, instructions on how to contribute material, report bugs, etc.?
  • Maybe it might also be helpful if everybody already contributing were to record demos while they work?  i.e. while you're building a map in UFOradiant, flipping on a recording program & making a little video to get new people up to speed on the UI, program features, etc.

We periodically put up already-compiled installers in the Windows section, you just download the one large file and run it to install then play.

Also, Muton went to a lot of trouble to build an automated program that updates an SVN copy, compiles it with options that have hints written in plain English (no programming experience needed) and takes care of the more difficult dirty work for you.

So, right there, you have two easy ways of getting reasonably up-to-date copies of the development version of the game.

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2010, 12:48:33 am »
What about reserving some space right on the front page for getting people set up w/ the latest dev version, instructions on how to contribute material, report bugs, etc.?
I fully support that.
But keeping such a link up to date is difficult. One prob is the size of the package, especially regarding upload time. So we're thinking about splitting it into chunks, but that ain't easy because of dependencies.

Maybe it might also be helpful if everybody already contributing were to record demos while they work?  i.e. while you're building a map in UFOradiant, flipping on a recording program & making a little video to get new people up to speed on the UI, program features, etc.
NOT a brilliant idea imho. A tutorial video has other requirements than just watching an experienced mapper doing his thing.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2010, 09:26:58 am »
http://mattn.ninex.info/videos/

here are some tutorials - but they aren't very good

Offline freegamer

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2010, 09:15:02 pm »
So... are you guys going to do a 2.3rc or 2.3beta release and alleviate community pressure/demand for 2.3 final (as well as good more feedback / bug reports) or what?

Offline Edi

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2010, 10:24:32 pm »
I'd say that every installer posted for the public by muton or Destructavator or anyone else counts as a 2.3 RC release, meaning that it's as good as you've got until that point unless you compile the code on your own.

It's no use pestering the developers all the while and frankly, it's actually insulting to them to make demands like that.

The more people take part, contributing code (not for me, this one, I'd screw it up), reporting bugs and testing things, the quicker things will happen, but they will all happen in their own good time.

Offline Legendman3

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2010, 11:10:36 pm »
Compileing the stuff isnt that bad it takes maybe 6 hours or less(depends on internet speed) to download the svn and muttons or whoevers compiling tool. Then you run the tool compile everything once then for then check once or twice a day for svn updates and compile the installer every once in a while thats what i do. Its simple and quick.  ;D

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2010, 11:14:00 pm »
I agree with Edi except for the fact that I personally do NOT really feel insulted by such demands. They're not helpful though.

The builds offered are fine (= the best we can offer) for skirmish games.
The prob with campaign is that (besides some remaining nasty bugs)
- we are lacking *content*, especially for the endgame
- we can't guarantee save game compatibility.

As a result, I don't know if I should recommend to start a 2.3rc campaign with the intention to really finish it.