project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: When will be the next release?  (Read 33056 times)

Offline Erkronos

• Rookie
    • View Profile
When will be the next release?
« on: February 28, 2010, 10:23:24 pm »
I love this game so much. It is the best free game I have ever seen. I saw loads of new content added to the game plus fixing bugs and glitches from the main website. The problem is that when are we going to see another new release of this game? The latest download file is like 2 years old! So any ideas when we will get the latest download?

Offline Sarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: When will be the next release?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 10:32:40 pm »
There are development builds available here on forums. Also, I think that v.2.3 stable will be relased soon.

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 01:05:41 am »
Sorry, there is no ETA.
The only thing I can tell you that IMHO it's not gonna be released in the next 1-2 month.

Offline Sarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 04:40:22 am »
Strange, I've heard that relase will be within the month.

Okay, ut was january at that time...

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 07:36:25 am »
winter is still writing some articles for the ufopedia and these still must be translated. once they are finished and they are translated, the game will be released. but that can't happen in the next few weeks as we have to give the translators a little bit of time, too.

Offline Erkronos

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 07:37:18 am »
Seriously they need to bring up the latest version so that we can download. It has been about 2 years! Come on!

Offline insetto

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 12:19:10 am »
Seriously they need to bring up the latest version so that we can download. It has been about 2 years! Come on!

Well for me anything that come out from this project is a blessing.
As nobody is asking money I think that they have the right to take all the time they need.

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 12:21:05 am »
If people want this to come out sooner, do more than just play it.

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 12:57:24 am »
If people want this to come out sooner, do more than just play it.
Very true :)
But to get 2.3 out, we need some *particular people* to do some particular things.
It's always hard in open source projects to get those last 2%...

Offline freegamer

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 06:12:46 pm »
That you have a release plan is the main thing, quite when the release happens is down to father time and human nature.  I look forward to 2.3 immensely!

Offline Battlescared

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 12:58:31 am »
Very true :)
But to get 2.3 out, we need some *particular people* to do some particular things.
It's always hard in open source projects to get those last 2%...

The last 5% is always the toughest of any software projects.  Major kudo's for getting it to 2%!

Eagerly but patiently the next release.

Offline Stedevil

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 12:09:17 pm »

The latest development version is always online. I was playing the "alpha" 2.3 version already 1,5 years ago. Instead of just complaining, why don't you download the dev version and help fix bugs? That is more constructive. :)

Offline Sgt. Hatter

• Rookie
  • Old Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 02:43:34 pm »

Have you ever worked in software development?  Delays and such are the norm, even in most professional development houses.  You should be glad that steady development is still being made; most freeware/open source game projects I've seen wind up rolling over and dying in under six months.

Besides, it's not like pre-compiled releases aren't available.  Have you bothered to read this post?  Sure, it's an in-development build of 2.3, but it beats nothing, doesn't it?

Offline setreset1

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
You're reading this post wrong
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 11:25:00 am »
You're reading this post wrong. We (no programming/graphics/language skills love good games) people are not complaining, just letting you know that we follow the wiki for updates every week, read the monthly status update, and are just waiting for the next release, cuz it's the best open source game ever. Maybe knowing this will give the developers some more enthusiasm to complete these last 3.14% to the next stable release.

Offline shevegen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 12:13:59 pm »
I don't think that developers "misunderstand" anyone on purpose per se.

It just really is that sometimes there is a little bit of work which is less interesting to do. Usually those last 2% include parts which aren't extremely fascinating. That's why there are often smaller steps needed to close that gap, and hence often a plea for people to help these efforts :D

Rather than only waiting, it often is better to point out which things can be improved. Even if these are only little things.