project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: It rocks  (Read 4661 times)

Offline Garret

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
It rocks
« on: May 16, 2010, 03:41:44 pm »
Hiho,

I have to say u Guys made something really amazing here. i thought games like xcom to be dead and u guys proved me wrong:
THANK YOU.

UFO:AI is my new favourite since xcom 2! And as a hardcore xcom player i LOVE the fact that there is no saves during battles, when lots of ppl disagree! Good desing choice!

As i read thru the forums i encountered several topics regarding PSI/MC and Blasterbombs:

I completely agree that blasterbombs wouldnt be in UFOAI, because unbalanced, same as PSI.
In the xcom games as soon as i got MC i rocked every mission. i even took comtrol of tentakulants and come on those are the horriblest things in the game. it gets boring after u get MC so its good that there are no such plans in UFO AI.

On the other hand i have to say the fact that there ARE those scary weapons that aliens use (MC and blaster bombs) is a plus to terror and suspension.

So my suggestion would be to create a weapon for the aliens which is seldomly used but extremely destructive (like MC/PSI), BUT there would be NO way for humans to use that technology. It would feel like humanity is no match for the aliens, and so one has to try harder to accomplish a victory.

anyways i really like the project and would support it in any way i can.
Im quite good at C programming so when 3.4 is in development i would be glad to contibute to the game.
as the to do list for 2.3 is quite finished i guess i wont be that much help right now.

Regards and cheers,

Garret

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
Re: It rocks
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 04:30:36 pm »
we always need in good programmers, and now too. :-)

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 04:59:35 pm »
Im quite good at C programming so when 3.4 is in development i would be glad to contibute to the game.
as the to do list for 2.3 is quite finished i guess i wont be that much help right now.

welcome,
Why would you wait for 3.4? :D
You could help with 2.3 too with testing and sending patches.  ;)

-geever

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 05:13:56 pm »

Offline Garret

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 06:14:58 pm »
well i am already fiddeling with the source code a bit and reading the coding guidlines, but im guessing till im able to read me into the newest version of AI and get the hang of it the remaining todos will be finished, but hey ill try :-)

that said i have to explain ive never yet contributed to any kind of open source project so i really got no clue how u guys are handling that or how user made patches are treated/integrated and such.

cheers

Offline Garret

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 06:53:49 pm »
btw i meant 2.4 not 3.4 oops -)

Offline Legendman3

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 07:04:02 pm »
If you have tortiose SVN then you can patch it through that

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 10:44:55 pm »
that said i have to explain ive never yet contributed to any kind of open source project so i really got no clue how u guys are handling that or how user made patches are treated/integrated and such.
Be assured that that is the easier part compared to finding bugs ;)
You'll find the necessary descriptions in our wiki.

Offline Damien_DE

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 09:59:30 pm »
I think this is the most appropiate thread for my feedback... this is going to be so DAMN GREAT when it is finished. The newest screenshots are eye-candy for me, still can't await the next "real" release. Checking out the current 2.3 development version now, don't know if I can help much more besides the german translations I'd like to do if something new comes up. Will take a look into the map editor then, can't promise anything but I'll give it a try.

Also I'm doing a bit of PR ;), many of my friends liked the old X-Com Games so I have told them to check this out for sure.

Thanks again to the whole team and all contributors!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 10:01:38 pm by Damien_DE »