project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: City street grid  (Read 16958 times)

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
City street grid
« on: February 23, 2010, 07:13:38 pm »
Well, it's been many months and I'm a slow worker, but I've finally got the basics of a street grid for a big city RMA working. The streets need to be placed as fixed tiles, because it's a bit complicated for the algorithm, but then random buildings can be inserted into each block.

Now on to the buildings...

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Re: City street grid
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 07:55:22 pm »
you should also post some closer screenshots as the one you are showing us here doesn't show the nice details you already added to the map ;)

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 06:54:14 am »
Wow!
You are genius, really $)

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 07:44:43 pm »
Ok, here are a few closer shots, though there's not much detail yet (and some errors from breaking it up into tiles that will need to be corrected).

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 08:49:56 pm »
Looks promising, I think it will work well when its finished.   :)

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 01:07:48 am »
Great tile  :D
I am looking forward to making some long-range shots there  ;D

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 12:34:15 am »
A little WIP shot to show you some of the texture details I've been working on.

This solder's wondering who ordered the hypercolor uniforms. :)

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 01:05:58 am »
Looking good so far. Can't wait to see more. A word to the wise though, you're going to want to include a standard dropship tile on the RMA somewhere, and probably UFO tiles as well (would really help with the terror missions). Keep in mind that Bomber, it's pretty big!

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 01:30:34 am »
 8)
Great work, man, I can't wait to play there  ;D

Offline Yatta

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 02:37:43 am »
Really looks nice.
I dont know much about tiling, but I suppose building blocks tiles have ground arround them.
Wouldnt have a building tile added to streets with large sidewalks gives *very* large sidewalk ? Pardon me if im wrong.  ???

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 11:00:18 am »
A word to the wise though, you're going to want to include a standard dropship tile on the RMA somewhere, and probably UFO tiles as well (would really help with the terror missions). Keep in mind that Bomber, it's pretty big!

Yes, I've been wondering about that. It will be fairly easy to get the smaller dropships and UFOs on the roads and even on the roof of the parking garage. I'm also planning one of the 4x4 tiles to be a park, on which I could put some dropships and UFOs. But that Bomber is mighty large, at least 4x7 tiles I believe. I guess that could be built across the park tile and its adjacent roads.

When you say "standard" dropship title... can there only be one dropship tile per RMA set? I was hoping to be able to place it in a couple different locations and load it in different places for different assemblies.

Quote from: Yatta
Wouldnt have a building tile added to streets with large sidewalks gives *very* large sidewalk ? Pardon me if im wrong.

If you look at the attached screenshot from the first post in this thread, the sidewalks only exist on the building tiles. So each building can determine how wide the sidewalk around it ought to be. I'm using 3 grid squares as the standard, but this will be "invaded" by buildings which jut out and other things which the player can hide behind. Also, I need a good-sized sidewalk to prevent the shadows from the tall buildings spilling over their tile edge.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 11:13:55 am »
When you say "standard" dropship title... can there only be one dropship tile per RMA set? I was hoping to be able to place it in a couple different locations and load it in different places for different assemblies.

Not yet possible, but easy to do once you come to this.

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 12:22:17 pm »
Nate, can you help me?

I`m trying to use your street-road set, and can`t understand, is it possible to make corner? not crossroad?

PS:

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2010, 01:40:07 am »
Hey Kildor, glad someone else is working with them! The corners you want aren't made yet. They can be assembled from existing textures, but no tile exists. I'll be happy to whip it up as soon as I can. Haven't had much free time lately, but should be able to in the next few days.

Is there a particular corner you want or should I just make all four 90 degree turns? As they're done now, they'll be blocky on the outer turn. You'll see what I mean when I do it, but perhaps we can look for another solution at some point if you think it looks too bad.

If you're in a hurry, check out the 2ln_crnw* tiles. They are the outside edge of a 90 degree turn. One is currently not done correctly, but I'll get it fixed soon.

Also, I've built them specifically for my big city RMA and focused on just what I needed first, but if there are any other things you want let me know. I hope we can expand the street set greatly in the long term. So if you wanted roadside parking, bike lanes, etc., shouldn't be too difficult to do.

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2010, 04:38:01 am »
if you create parking and bus stop, I'll be very happy. :-)

and thanks for your amazing textures!