project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: storming corrupters?  (Read 4802 times)

Offline GPS51

• Rookie
    • View Profile
storming corrupters?
« on: February 17, 2010, 10:06:18 pm »
Hey I'm really enjoying the latest build ~Feb 15th? But am stumped on how to fight my way into a corrupter. I keep taking atrocious losses. Does anyone have any ideas or tips? I have a good diversity of weapons flamer/needles/coilguns/RPG/heavy laser. I can't seem to get close enough to attack without being attacked by 3 or 4 aliens at close range... :(

Offline Troberg

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: storming corrupters?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 02:05:02 pm »
When in trouble, barricade yourself and let the aliens come to you, as you take them out one by one. Also, heavy barrages of grenade launcher fire while carefully advancing should not be underestimated.And always move crouched.

Offline GPS51

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 05:21:53 pm »
I agree that the grenade launcher is my best bet but they refuse to come out of the corrupter to fight. About 8 wait for me to come in and I simply can't kill that many before they open up with particle beam/needle guns at very close range.

Offline nanomage

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 08:30:38 pm »
i usually just rush into a corrupter with several soldiers with gas grenades.
there are usually 3-5 aliens near the entrance, and two soldiers stun them with grenades nicely and go sleep themselves. After you've rushed the entrance, the rest of corrupter is easy.

What would really help is to make gas grenades more realistic - form a cloud of gas where aliens take stun damage every turn.It would be great if gas grenades could be fired from GL, too.

Offline Sgt. Hatter

• Rookie
  • Old Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 05:19:06 pm »
I've never actually stormed a corruptor in 2.2.1, but a tactic that's worked for me in a number of situations where a lot of aliens are holed up in a single building is to play a little game of peek-a-boo with them.

Turn everyone on multishot reaction-fire (might not work in 2.3 due to the change in RF rules), and post them around the main entrance of the structure.  Make sure they're just out of sight; the aliens should have to come out to take shots at anyone.  End turn.

One of two things will happen: either the enemies will come out of their hidey hole and get shredded by reaction-fire (Particle Cannons on "Unrestricted Blast" and Plasma Blasters on "Ball" mode may take out several victims at once), or they'll hole up just behind the entrance and wait for you.

If they opt to wait, you just need grenade launchers and stun grenades; march your grenadiers up to the entrance, just far enough that they can put grenades inside, and flood the entry-room with explosions and gas.  Everything clustered up to kill you as you come in will be turned into ash or put to sleep.  March your grenadiers back out with their remaining TUs and send in one guy to see if anyone's left alive in there.  Make sure he's got enough TUs to move back after taking a peek.

If nothing's alive, march on in and clear out any stragglers who didn't join the welcome party.  If there's a survivor or two, repeat the procedure until the place is properly sterilized.

Offline homunculus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 06:46:03 am »
[...]If they opt to wait, you just need grenade launchers and stun grenades; march your grenadiers up to the entrance, just far enough that they can put grenades inside, and flood the entry-room with explosions and gas.  Everything clustered up to kill you as you come in will be turned into ash or put to sleep.  March your grenadiers back out with their remaining TUs and send in one guy to see if anyone's left alive in there.  Make sure he's got enough TUs to move back after taking a peek.[...]
what about using ir goggles instead?

Offline Legendman3

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 03:24:31 pm »
Use those to look for the aliens and use his tactic