project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Thanks and some suggestions  (Read 2164 times)

Offline forkicks

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Thanks and some suggestions
« on: February 10, 2010, 03:25:44 pm »
Hello

First, thanks for a great project. X-Com is one the best games ever, and this project is paying it due homage.
Good work so far, keep it up.

Now for the unavoidable suggestions i came across while playing:

-Research % status as an indicator shown around base icon on the geosphere

-Underwater missions - X-Com2 TFTD? Yes, i realize this is a ton of work on the content side, but the only problem TFTD had was excessive difficulty.
Past that, was as great as the original. I also realize this is not a remake of the original. But the the planet is 70%+ water, so underwater missions wouldn't be too far-fetched.
Submarine backgrounds, maps, equipment/ships might be trickier. The other game logic should remain pretty similar - units can't swim up or down without proper equipment,
occlusion/collision/path finding, strategies shouldnt be much different - if at all.

-More simplified compilation environment. You (the devs) are familiar with it and have it already set up. Newcomers have an incomplete wiki entry that results in non-working environment due to missing libraries and dependencies (like directmusic one, but thats just one.). It would be much better for the .zip file with the code::blocks gui to be properly configured, even if it meant it had to be installed to a definite location on the harddisk (like c:\codeblocks or anything else). This is just a -suggestion-. I'm not nagging or attacking your work, simply trying to help getting it better, because the devs are just "too close" to the project to see some problems that newcomers can face. This is as true here as in any software development project.

Hope i didnt offend anyone with those suggestions, and if i did, well, not much i can do about it.

Again thanks,
fK

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Thanks and some suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 08:20:44 pm »
No underwater for the main campaign. This was asked long time ago and that was the official answer from devs. Feel free to program it yourself for a custom campaign though.

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 09:23:09 pm »
- which % status would you like to see there when researching mutiple techs at the same time ? ;)

- issues with codeblocks.zip have been adressed in several topics in the 'coding'-forum. You should also find solutions there.

- Underwater: I share your guess that it's >80% an artwork problem. If a group of interested modelers and mappers came up with a reasonable number of maps and equipment, I guess the devs could be persuaded to add the necessary code.

Offline forkicks

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 09:30:47 pm »
- which % status would you like to see there when researching mutiple techs at the same time ? ;)
The one closest to end, since thats the one that will need my (the player) attention sooner.

- issues with codeblocks.zip have been adressed in several topics in the 'coding'-forum. You should also find solutions there.
Thank you for the tip, ill try to look over it again. Still, the wiki could use some refresh.

No underwater for the main campaign. This was asked long time ago and that was the official answer from devs. Feel free to program it yourself for a custom campaign though.
Thanks, at least that clears the official position on the matter, which i was unfamiliar with.

Thank you for your time,
fK