project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Tools Question: Is there a WYSIWYG DND RLM application for Menu design?  (Read 4483 times)

Offline joe davis

• Rookie
    • View Profile
I was wondering if there was a What you see is what you get, drag and drop, rapid layout management designer application for menu creation?  Something that uses a canvas and toolbars from which one may select a widget, component, or whatever you want to call it, from the toolbar and drag it to the canvas to generate a visual layout of the menu, and which can also generate basic menu code of node position and node sizes? 

Or are there any tools that are currently being used to speed up the menu layout?

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Re: Tools Question: Is there a WYSIWYG DND RLM application for Menu design?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 10:21:01 pm »
there is nothing like that yet - but open game console, "mn_push editor" or "debug_menu 1"
after you've modified the menu with the editor you can write it to a file with some other mn_ command that's name i don't remember right now - geever or bayo can tell you more here.

Offline joe davis

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 10:38:13 pm »
That is neat.  I am glad I asked.  I look forward to more details on the mn_commands used in the console to work with the nodes when geever or bayo have the time.  Thank you for your prompt reply and relevant feedback.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 05:25:08 pm »
There is no real editor with add/remove node functionality because we couldn't/didn't create nodes (widgets) dynamically. Bayo implemented something like that recently so maybe it will be possible in the future.

mn commands are debug_mn commands now (only available in debug mode) tab completition will list them.

Personally I don't use the in-game editor, the mouse is not accurate enough for me. I use debug_menu 1 and a text editor, with game restarting.

-geever

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 08:50:05 am »
I use texteditor (with auto-completion, templates and colouring) and write menus manually too.

Offline joe davis

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 05:42:44 pm »
Do you feel that it takes a while to locate the right position and size of a node when building a menu or have you grown accustomed to placement?  In other words, do you get it placed on your first try or does it take a couple of times to tweak the placement?

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 04:59:16 pm »
Yes, it is not very easy to fix widget location. It need a lot of work.
But if you already work with c++,java... GUI, you know it anyway need a lot of work.