project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: some features  (Read 3621 times)

Offline maackey

• Rookie
    • View Profile
some features
« on: February 04, 2010, 04:28:30 am »
 - AUTOSAVE - a before and after mission slot would be ideal. I don't mind not having saves during the actual missions (as has been discussed before) But I too live in Florida, in an area with extremely sub-par power service. Compounded with the fact that I am often too lazy and not used to saving constantly (the only games i've played in the last 6+ months have been Rome Total War and Complete Annihilation -- the first autosaves every round and the second is a multiplayer rts [also open source btw]) I never remember to save and it frustrates the living hell out of me.

- There should be an individual "End Agent Turn" button/key so they are taken out of the loop when tabbing through soldiers during your round.
 - Fire weapon should have a keybind -- press fire to bring up menu, 1-5 or whatever to select type of shot.
 - Mouse sensitivity slider
 - sound checkboxes for individual items (ie. one for effects and one for music)
 - tooltips vs cursor tooltips??? unfortunately there is no tooltip describing either  ;)
 - scripted tutorials would be a worthwhile endeavor imo - especially for people who have never played x-com.
 - an ingame keybinding editor would be slick. i personally don't mind editing the keys.cfg file, but I can imagine some would be put off by this.
 - Is there a tech tree/list of weapons anywhere? or would that show unwanted spoilers?
On that note, I was glancing through one of the multiplayer templates (i think thats what it was) and noticed some very strange stats on some of the weapons (ie. the shotgun having more range than a sniper!?) Is there a good table of those weapon stats somewhere too?

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: some features
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 07:59:23 am »
- AUTOSAVE - a before and after mission slot would be ideal.

We do autosave before missions. Check the quickload/quicksave feature.

-geever

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 08:22:10 am »

Offline joe davis

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 06:37:29 pm »
- I agree with the first request
There should be an individual "End Agent Turn" button/key so they are taken out of the loop when tabbing through soldiers during your round.
and actually posted it in "Mark as turn finished" on this forum along with some other aspects about it I'd like to see implemented. :)
- As to the sound checkboxes, not sure what that means?  Considering we can click on the left side of the audio sliders, where the bar inside starts, to turn off that particular one I don't see a reason for a check box for them.  Or was the suggestion to have a checkbox for sound some place else?
- I agree that an in game keybinding editor is always nice to have and would love to see one implemented too. ;D

Offline maackey

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 10:01:59 pm »
greever: thanks. I didn't know that the game autosaves -- there isn't any indication on the load game screen (which would be nice  ;D)

Mattn: thanks, I'll definitely have a look. Btw, I noticed that the assault rifle has aimed shot as reaction fire.. is this intentional?? none of the other weapons have aimed RF.

joe davis: I sometimes like to listen to (my own) music while playing games and its nice to just have the built in music off but still have the effect sounds. While yes, i can just go and re-set the sliders, its much nicer to just have an option to temporarily disable them or something, so you can save their position and not have to mess around with it later. Since a picture is worth a thousand words:
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 10:04:14 pm by maackey »

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 08:47:55 am »
Some notes:
"Enable sound" means switching on|off whole sound subsystem, and shouldn`t be removed.

But I like your idea about fast and separated switchers of different types of sounds.

Offline joe davis

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 05:22:07 pm »
Nice layout.  I agree with Kildor that the all sound check box shouldn't be removed.  
The sound settings look like they get saved when I exit, though I like options, so it would be cool to have the check boxes added, and I think the sound page is a bit bare so a couple of check boxes would actually make it fill out a little, aesthetically speaking.  

:o Though, instead of using check boxes can we have speaker symbols that get an x through them when we check them or maybe just a slash /?  And can we also have those sound bar levels where it starts out as a small column or slash and  increases a bit from left to right til on the right side it's a large column or slash representing full volume?  It's a purely aesthetic thing, just popped in my head, sorry.

Or maybe instead of a slash or x we could use green speaker symbol for on and red speaker symbol for muted with an onover event where if it is green and you hover your mouse over it then it turns red, or pink, or white, or some other color to show you are about ready to select it, but if you move the mouse off it, it stays green, and something similar for the muted state and red.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 05:37:14 pm by joe davis »