project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Aborting a Mission  (Read 2443 times)

Offline JTzara

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Aborting a Mission
« on: January 29, 2010, 11:43:21 pm »
Hello All

Thankyou once more on what's an awesome improvement on a great game. I'm still waiting on the one thing that would make it perfect (I've not been playing since I'm sure you guys have done great things with the story and I want to get the full effect!). I want my team to have to limp home, carrying my best guy when he's unconscious, together with the meagre stuff they picked up from the aliens (and maybe even an alien body), all of which will benefit them in the long term. Basically, I want the chance to lose well! I loved this aspect of the old UFO series, and if and when it gets implemented I look forward to playing the game in full!

Thanks for all your hard work

JT

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
Re: Aborting a Mission
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 04:53:49 pm »
At some point this certainly should be implemented, it is planned - It just hasn't happened quite yet.

There's also been some discussion I've seen from the coders on exactly how it should be implemented.  Personally I favor an idea that IIRC BTAxis mentioned, having a "safe zone" around a dropship or the dropship tile where soldiers that are there survive an aborted mission.

Offline Xune

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 10:55:37 pm »
To riff on this notion of a safe zone, I've had the idea of short range guns mounted on the dropship and operated by the pilot. Similar in concept to the US Stryker, the pilot would stay inside the vehicle and remotely operate a turret gun with mounted camera. It would have a limited visual and firing range, just enough to hit anything immediately near the ship such as aliens who are right on top of you in the first turn.

At the moment I have the visual of this ace killer pilot sitting in his cockpit twiddling his thumbs and listsning to the gun and plasma fire around him, wondering what he'll have for dinner when this mission is over  :P

Offline spoolboyy

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 10:54:51 pm »
Hey there,

I too would like to be able to 'retreat' from a mission, as you can in original XCOM.  I was playing UFOAI and got blindsided by aliens due to poor planning on my part.  When I got my remaining troops to the ship and aborted mission, I was dismayed to learn that that means they all die.  Please, consider adding this to the to do list for the next version!

That said, you guys have a great game here!  Other than resolution change issues, which I would imagine have something to do with user privileges on Win7 and Vista boxes, I have had no issues.  Once I visited the forums to figure out the resolution problems, I was on my way.  Having loads of fun with the game.

-Adam