project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: News Story: Alien life possibly already living on Earth  (Read 5122 times)

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
News Story: Alien life possibly already living on Earth
« on: January 26, 2010, 04:45:23 pm »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100126/ap_on_sc/eu_britain_alien_life

Personally I don't buy this claim - it made me laugh - Or at least I'll say that if non-Earth life ever did live on our planet, I'd be surprised if it was any time recently.

Ain Soph Aur

Re: News Story: Alien life possibly already living on Earth
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 07:20:28 pm »
the question is: is alien life visible to us? http://zone.ni.com/cms/images/devzone/tut/infrared.png

we dont even know if we can recognize it

also, if alien lifeforms live in dimension > 4 it will be hard to recognize them, because you image them like humans... another theory is that there is nothing else than human consciousnes. if that is true and you see an alien, maybe its a "human" from the future --> through the fractal structure of time it should be possible to accomplish that task.

also, if its true that all is one and interconnected, they might be on earth - in fact, they might be IN you :]

so, i think its absolutely useless to discuss this topic, because we know nothing

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 08:36:25 pm »
the question is: is alien life visible to us? http://zone.ni.com/cms/images/devzone/tut/infrared.png

we dont even know if we can recognize it

also, if alien lifeforms live in dimension > 4 it will be hard to recognize them, because you image them like humans... another theory is that there is nothing else than human consciousnes. if that is true and you see an alien, maybe its a "human" from the future --> through the fractal structure of time it should be possible to accomplish that task.

also, if its true that all is one and interconnected, they might be on earth - in fact, they might be IN you :]

so, i think its absolutely useless to discuss this topic, because we know nothing

Very true, we don't really know what to look for.

Some of you gamers here I'm sure are too young to remember this, but one game I played on the C64 many times over, years back, was a game called StarFlight (and the sequel as well).  It was well before modern 3D graphics or Internet, but the story and plot was extensive, well-thought-out, and deep, not to mention very well done.

In StarFlight, superphotonic (faster-than-light) engines are powered by a mineral substance discovered and eventually mined from planets, called Endurium (sp?  It's been a long time...).  In the very end of the game's story, when the player escapes from a whole planet made purely of the stuff, it is revealed that the "mineral" is actually life, a type of peaceful, intelligent life that simply has a verrrrryyy slow metabolism, so slow that they are mistaken for a rock-like mineral.  They turn out to have been forced to create the primary threat the player races against in self-defense, simply because so many other races in the galaxy burn them up in the engines of their spacecraft.

So...  What if things we mine from our planet are really alive?  Like metal?  Iron, copper, nickel, etc. have been on this planet longer than us, and have interesting properties that can vary - how do we know they aren't different breeds of some type of life?  I'm not arguing for that idea, and I wouldn't bank on it as true, but my point is we don't know what to look for, as Ain Soph Aur pointed out.

Ain Soph Aur

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 10:49:43 pm »
interesting storyline. reminds me of something that terrence mckenna has said about alien live. i could not find the exact text i am remembering but i found some similar statements from him - he is talking about psychedelic mushrooms here:

"I couldn't figure out whether the mushroom is the alien or the mushroom is some kind of technological artifact allowing me to hear the alien when the alien is actually light-years aways, using some kind of Bell non-locality principle to communicate. The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, 'I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?'"

its a shame that i cant find the statement from him that i have in mind. maybe this is interesting too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh7Uv556xZQ&NR=1

Offline poppadrake

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 11:08:00 pm »
I hope any alien life would have it's own Prime Directive non-intervention philosophy down pat and stay out of sight.  To know they are out there would be totally awesome, but we are very not ready.

Ain Soph Aur

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 12:53:59 am »
true true...

Offline belrix

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 08:11:35 pm »
I remember StarFlight. I never did finish it. On PC it was tough to maintain saved games. I copied over my back up discs one time and voila, I was screwed. A couple years later I tried it and messed it up again. Probably would be easier with hard drives. ;) When was that, 1990? Might as well have been 1890 compared to today.

As for the game itself, Dave is right. Very good for its time.

Offline U-800uso

• Cannon Fodder
  • You can't teach a new mouse old clicks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 04:14:11 pm »
The point about our narrow field of vision is always a good one and most people dont realize how narrow it is. So the sentence "I only believe in what I can see" is so absurd and limiting...even when its extended to "I only believe in what I can measure" its still absurd. Anyhow, I'm quite convinced that aliens are mingling with us and live among us. Not because Ive met one (at least that Im aware of) but because I reckon they simply can and want to. Lets face it, earth is a very interesting and complex place. And may I see a planet in danger? Well, since I have a few links handy feel free to peruse the following:

UFO alert: police officer sees aliens at crop circle

Cases of Alien voices heard on radio and television

As for rock like life...there's actually an insider story out there about contact with ET carbon-based lifeforms. Check into Clay and Shawn Pickering. In that regard, following news item make you ponder:
'Oceans of diamonds' on Uranus and Neptune