project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Texture issues and fixing in game graphic card settings is there a how to?  (Read 5915 times)

Offline joe davis

• Rookie
    • View Profile
I tried out the new version, and there has been some nice aesthetic alterations done to enhance both the GUI and battlescape.  This has come at a cost in having to tweak the default graphics settings for my game.  Well worth it, if I know what the heck I am doing, not usually wanting to spend forever to accomplish this, I would suggest some explanation of what all that stuff means, anisoptric what?  After getting the tears out of the landscape by turning off the shaders, which I found suggested in the forum about shaders, I still found bars in my landscape.  After lowering the slider for the light box size I finally got rid of the boxes and the landscape was Fabulous ;D, but now I find myself rocking out with a couple men from the Blue Man group wearing Swat uniforms and a Mercury type Terminator whose face hasn't fully formed into looking human.  Am I missing some settings or are there some texture issues being worked on still?  And is my craft supposed to blend into it's surroundings like a Chameleon?  Kind of a cool effect, but I liked the old craft better, but that's just me being subjective.

My OS - Windows XP Professional
Graphics Card - ATI Radeon X1650 512MB
Open GL - 2.1

Ain Soph Aur

Re: Texture issues and fixing in game graphic card settings is there a how to?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 02:46:32 pm »
I had also a texture issue but only the first time i played a mission. after that, i couldnt reproduce it anymore.

GeForce 8400M G
Windows 7 - x86_64
Rev. 28338 (Mutons build)

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/2746/ufoaibug.png
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 11:09:26 am by Ain Soph Aur »

Offline SoulRipper

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 02:34:18 am »
I got the same problem in the first mission, not sure about later since i just tried out if the build works. I used Mutons latest upload.

Game: ufoai-2.3-dev-28338-Debug-pentium3-O1-sse-7z-small-win32.exe
Rev: 28338
Computer:
Geforce GTS 640MB Ram (Official Drivers 196.21)
Windows XP SP3 32-bit

Offline Lysozyme

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 05:32:25 pm »
I've also tried the newest version (ufoai_win32_r28412). And I've also experienced the same mentioned problems. The screenshots shown in the first post could be mine!

Computer:
Windows XP x32 (with latest updates)
ATI Radeon X1300 series 512 Mb with latest update (In fact, I was getting the brilliant idea to update my video drivers when I started to play this game)
Intel Celeron 2.93 GHz
1.0 GB RAM

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 06:12:38 pm »
did you try to deactivate the glsl shaders already?

Offline Sarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 03:32:31 am »
ATI drivers seem to have problem with OpenGL shaders. Better turn them off until it's fixed if you have ATI.

Offline j4l

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 11:13:52 am »

i did some tests with 3 nvidia cards and glsl:

7300 LE  Driver 19x
7600 GT Driver 16x
9200M Driver 179

Only the 9200M shows textures with activated glsl shaders

I did some research with google than:
In der NVIDIA Developer Zone wird der NVIDIA ForceWare 177.89 Treiber zum Download angeboten. Dieser bietet für alle Karten ab der NVIDIA 8000er-Serie die OpenGL 3.0 Unterstützung.
Der Catalyst 9.1 unterstützt alle aktuellen Radeon-Grafikkarten und beinhaltet laut Herstellerangaben die vollständige Unterstützung für die Grafik-API OpenGL 3.0.

so ufo ai uses GLSL 1.30 (opengl 3.0) functions for drawing the soldier textures

conclusion:
nvida: you need at least a nvida 8x series card and the driver version 177.89 on windows and version 180.29 for Linux http://developer.nvidia.com/object/opengl_3_driver.html

ati: you need at least the Catalyst driver version 9.1 Windows/Linux and a HD2xxx Series card http://developer.amd.com/gpu_assets/GL3_WhitePaper.pdf

intel: you need at least one of the mentioned chips at this site http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/cs-004662.htm and the latest driver (don't know anything about intel chips (pfui))

Exists a hardware compatibility list in wiki?
Is it possible to deactivate the glsl option for older cards (future request?)?    
How complex would it be to have two render pathes one for 3.0 and one for 2.1?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 11:24:52 am by j4l »

Offline Lysozyme

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 07:17:34 pm »

I did, have tried various setting combinations. Even tried different combinations with Catalyst settings. Nothings seems to work which is a shame because I like this game very much. :(

When I tried to play the game on a notebook of a friend of mine, it works all fine! His notebook uses a ATI card (HD2400 series if I'm correct).

Edit: After reading some documentation on the official AMD site, I concluded my video card doesn't support OpenGL 3.0. The video card in the notebook (HD2400) does support OpenGL 3.0 which makes sense when I play the game on the notebook.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 07:27:05 pm by Lysozyme »

Offline j4l

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 07:38:11 pm »
as i wrote above ;)

you even got a terrible performance impact with an old card using the glsl. my fps dropped down to 10 fps :(