project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: OSX build of UFO:AI 2.3 available as torrent  (Read 17645 times)

Offline oherrala

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
OSX build of UFO:AI 2.3 available as torrent
« on: January 02, 2010, 11:47:36 pm »
Greetings fellow recruits and officers alike,

I couldn't find OSX build for UFO:AI 2.3, so I fetched the sources from SVN and build .dmg for everyone's pleasure.

It's available as Torrent (1.4GB file and I don't have place to host):

http://www.ee.oulu.fi/~oherrala/ufoai/ufoai-2.3-dev-r27744-macosx-i386.dmg.torrent

NOTICE: Seems to work only in Intel machines with 10.6 (Snow leopard).

If there's interest in such builds and nobody is doing OSX builds regularly I can bake a build from time to time.

Yours,
Ossi Herrala
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 07:05:32 am by oherrala »

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Re: OSX build of UFO:AI 2.3 available as torrent
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 12:15:54 am »
it would be nice to have regular macos builds, too

Offline Parmezen

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 04:50:20 pm »
In first, happy new year to ufo team and everyone !
Thanks oherrala for this job. Don't work on my computer, but I think it's because it is a PPC and not an Intel... Next time, if you make again a build, it is a great difference to make it for both PPC and Intel ? I can wait a few month ! UfoAi is a great game, and I think there is a lot of improvement since 2.2.

Offline Itch

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 10:15:31 pm »
Build didnt work for me.
Running OS 10.5.8 - Intel

Did i do something wrongly?

Offline oherrala

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 06:41:14 am »
Build didnt work for me.
Running OS 10.5.8 - Intel

Did i do something wrongly?
No, I think it's my fault. I only have OSX 10.6 machine and didn't pay attention to how to build 10.4 and/or 10.5 compatible binaries. But can you send me the output of running the application from command line?

Launch e.g. Terminal.App, and run /Application/UFOAI.app/Contents/MacOS/ufo or fix the path to your UFO:AI installation path.

Is there anyone in the community who could give me some tips how to build 10.4 or 10.5 compatible binaries of UFO:AI? I tried to build universal (i386 and ppc) compatible binary yesterday, but got stuck into issues which will be topic of another post.

Offline kilder

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 10:45:26 am »
First of all, many thanks for undertaking this work for all of the computer illiterates here! :) I was getting somewhat jealous of those windows users with so many dev builds :P

But —there's always a but— the app also doesn't run on my system (10.5.8-). Here's the terminal output:
Code: [Select]
Last login: Tue Jan  5 10:41:46 on ttys000

~/Applications/UFOAI.app/Contents/MacOS/ufo ; exit;
dyld: unknown required load command 0x80000022
Trace/BPT trap
logout

And that's what the console says —just for checking, it seems the same—:
05/01/10 10:42:48 [0x0-0x1e01e].net.sourceforge.UFOAI[175] dyld: unknown required load command 0x80000022
05/01/10 10:42:48 com.apple.launchd[64] ([0x0-0x1e01e].net.sourceforge.UFOAI[175]) Exited abnormally: Trace/BPT trap

I hope it helps you!

Offline oherrala

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 10:05:52 pm »
First of all, many thanks for undertaking this work for all of the computer illiterates here! :) I was getting somewhat jealous of those windows users with so many dev builds :P

But —there's always a but— the app also doesn't run on my system (10.5.8-). Here's the terminal output:
Last login: Tue Jan  5 10:41:46 on ttys000

~/Applications/UFOAI.app/Contents/MacOS/ufo ; exit;
dyld: unknown required load command 0x80000022
Trace/BPT trap
logout
I hope it helps you!
Thank you for this information! The error message ("dyld: unknown ...") leads to Apple Support discussion:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2151112

Which supports the assumption that my build is not 10.5 compatible. Next steps for me is to figure out how to build 10.5 compatible software from MacPorts and then how to build and package the UFO:AI with the 10.5 compatibility.

Maybe (I have no idea right now) it would be easier to do what Warzone 2100 (http://wz2100.net) is doing. They have XCode project which fetches all/some the depencies (SDL, etc.) and build the known-to-work versions before building the game itself.

Offline tchristney

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 08:04:33 am »
My wife is still running 10.5. I'll see if my local builds run on her machine. I've been trying to be at least somewhat careful in my builds, but I haven't tried testing. The main problem with pre-release builds is that they are so quickly out of date. That said, having more non-coders poking around and discovering bugs is always a good thing. Mattn, is it worthwhile to upload weeklies or something to sourceforge?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 08:06:13 am by tchristney »

Offline Dorzak

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 11:12:20 am »
Is the bittorrent still valid?  I can't seem to find any of it with multiple clients.

Offline oherrala

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 03:05:54 pm »
Is the bittorrent still valid?  I can't seem to find any of it with multiple clients.

Yes, it's still alive. And there's some seeds and at least one peer right now.

Offline Boaal

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 06:15:27 pm »
Nice, I'll download it and give it a spin!

Edit:
it works fine. Apart from a couple of sound glitches (sometimes an effect doesn't fully play, or doesn't play at all) it runs well.
But whoah! The difficulty ramped up something mad, even on Easy mode. First battle I went into I had to play through several times to get anywhere and even then one of my guys died because of that little sod hiding in the cockpit and refusing to come out. The aliens have really good initiative. It's far more challenging now, far more intense too, especially those guys in the landed ships. Very rarely seem to get through those raids without a casualty. Still, I'll crack them in the end.

One thing I love is the base attack missions, it was awesome to see my base laid out in 3D like that.

Edit Edit: I hear the balance is way off kilter, which makes sense now. I still can't kill all the aliens in the cockpit without loosing at least one guy. 
Another bug I have found is the grenade launcher impact marker doesn't go away, it duplicates itself onto the map and stays there. it becomes very disorienting.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 03:48:30 pm by Boaal »

erwin.zeez

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 12:38:27 pm »
Greetings fellow recruits and officers alike,

I couldn't find OSX build for UFO:AI 2.3, so I fetched the sources from SVN and build .dmg for everyone's pleasure.

It's available as Torrent (1.4GB file and I don't have place to host):

http://www.ee.oulu.fi/~oherrala/ufoai/ufoai-2.3-dev-r27744-macosx-i386.dmg.torrent

NOTICE: Seems to work only in Intel machines with 10.6 (Snow leopard).

If there's interest in such builds and nobody is doing OSX builds regularly I can bake a build from time to time.

Yours,
Ossi Herrala

downloaded it
but no seeder ;(
well do something all of the members

Offline Itch

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 08:22:34 pm »
I get a fancy error message through limewire explaining that this file type will damage the hard drive.

So... safe not safe?

I have no problem sharing it if it doesnt break the drive.

Offline Endless Ike

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 12:57:43 am »
Anybody want to seed and/or update this with a more recent build?

Offline kOba

• Project Artist
  • Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2010, 05:27:41 pm »
A quando una versione Mac OSX PPC 10.4 ??
When will a version of Mac OSX 10.4 PPC ??