project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: What files to download?  (Read 3065 times)

Offline ViktorP

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
What files to download?
« on: January 04, 2010, 11:58:38 pm »
Hi, I'm playing this great game from time to time. I don't remember the game with so great atmosphere. The best feature in my opinion is that you cannot save the game during combat. Often I end the combat sweated and with shaking hands.

I decided to upgrade my version 2.2 to 2.2.1. But how? In wiki is just "download it on sourceforge". But there are four files:
ufoai-2.2.1-data.tar           390.5 MB
ufoai-2.2.1-linux.run       416.9 MB
ufoai-2.2.1-mappack.tar.bz2    72.9 MB
ufoai-2.2.1-source.tar.bz2    7.6 MB

Well, I don't need sources. But do I need ALL other three files? Or "linux.run" is enough for installation? It should be. Windows installation is only 404MB:
ufoai-2.2.1-win32.exe    windows    403.9 MB

But what is "data" and "mappack" then? I Personally think that this information should be in the note next to a file name at sourceforge. And ideally in manual too.

BTW: I didn't found anywhere whether my saved games from 2.2 can be loaded in 2.2.1.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Re: What files to download?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 07:04:58 am »
afair your savegames are compatible

you only need the run file - it's an installer with all the data included. the others are for people that are compiling the sourcecode and prefer single packages (e.g. for packagers)

Offline ViktorP

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 11:30:14 am »
Thank you for fast answer. What should I do to get this information into manual? Or should I edit it myself?

Offline ViktorP

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 03:09:58 pm »
Well, I installed version 2.2.1 and copied content of directory /home/.ufoai/2.2 to directory /home/.ufoai/2.2.1 . The game normally starts and I am able to load a saved game. All seems to be ok, only research state of the art changed a lot. Some new research proposals appeared (with date '0 Jan 00' and no text in it) and some new technologies are ready to be researched. I'm afraid of corruption of saved games, so I rather return to previous version...

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 03:22:54 pm »
Well, I installed version 2.2.1 and copied content of directory /home/.ufoai/2.2 to directory /home/.ufoai/2.2.1 . The game normally starts and I am able to load a saved game. All seems to be ok, only research state of the art changed a lot. Some new research proposals appeared (with date '0 Jan 00' and no text in it) and some new technologies are ready to be researched. I'm afraid of corruption of saved games, so I rather return to previous version...

Minor incompatibility in savegame, yes. Sorry, I don't know if/how serious sideeffect it can have.

-geever